BDP-2 Digital Player

zoom25

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1780 on: 20 Jan 2017, 08:53 pm »
I experienced similar results with Sonarworks and the HD-650, so I've been using a setup similar to yours (MBP + Audirvana). With the HD-700, I wasn't as pleased with the results listening to classical music, so I've gone back to tubes + BDP-1 for that genre. Maybe the HD-800 correction is better.

I also recently upgraded to Sierra, and so was forced to turn off Direct Mode in Audirvana. This surprisingly made a positive difference with Sonarworks and using linear mode.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1781 on: 2 Feb 2017, 11:45 am »
Hi folks

There is a major update available for anyone using their BDP with ROON.

James

Paul Chiarot

« Reply #1782 on: 2 Feb 2017, 04:43 pm »
I wanted to recommend to BPD-2 owners to install an internal drive. I had been using a NAS and it would often lose its IP address and it was slow.
I just install a new crucial 525GB SSD drive (about $150) and moved all my music to it over the network.
I used a free software package called MiniAide to format the drive FAT32 while connected to my Windows 10 machine with a USB to SATA cable ($15).
This works much faster than the NAS.

Hoiman

« Reply #1783 on: 2 Feb 2017, 06:16 pm »
I used a free software package called MiniAide to format the drive FAT32 while connected to my Windows 10 machine with a USB to SATA cable ($15).

Does the internal drive have to be formatted in fat32 or can it also be NTFS?

Is it possible to use the usb inputs with usb sticks/hdd that're formatted in NTFS or only fat32?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1784 on: 2 Feb 2017, 06:23 pm »

Is it possible to use the usb inputs with usb sticks/hdd that're formatted in NTFS or only fat32?

Fat 32 or NTSF is fine - I use EXFAT as well.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1785 on: 2 Feb 2017, 06:59 pm »
I wanted to recommend to BPD-2 owners to install an internal drive. I had been using a NAS and it would often lose its IP address and it was slow.
I just install a new crucial 525GB SSD drive (about $150) and moved all my music to it over the network.

If your going to install a drive into a BDP you should consider using the disk information settings page in the web interface to format the drive, it'll add additional files and flags to the drive in the event your BDP decides to boot from it.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1786 on: 2 Feb 2017, 07:00 pm »

NTFS would create additional overhead

Hoiman

« Reply #1787 on: 2 Feb 2017, 07:37 pm »
NTFS would create additional overhead

Explain? The only thing that's different is that the blocks to write to is bigger? The overhead isn't important for the sound of the music?

XMAN

« Reply #1788 on: 3 Feb 2017, 03:01 pm »
If your going to install a drive into a BDP you should consider using the disk information settings page in the web interface to format the drive, it'll add additional files and flags to the drive in the event your BDP decides to boot from it.

So there is no need to format the drive ahead of time as the installation video states?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1789 on: 3 Feb 2017, 05:32 pm »
So there is no need to format the drive ahead of time as the installation video states?

Thats an old video

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1790 on: 3 Feb 2017, 05:33 pm »
Explain? The only thing that's different is that the blocks to write to is bigger? The overhead isn't important for the sound of the music?

NTFS literally creates additional overhead on the CPU, thats fewer CPU cycles for say updating your database

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1791 on: 3 Feb 2017, 10:27 pm »

As a counterpoint, I have been using a NAS on my network and have had no difficulty with either network traffic, speed or audio quality at all.  I have also never had any issues with the BDP regarding the loss of an IP address either.  My NAS is a Synology 5 slot disk station which is also used as a backup target. 

I was very nervous when I set this up as I wanted to get my audio off of a simple disk drive into something with redundancy.  I tested this with critical listening for days and the acid test was with my headphone amp, and I hear EVERYTHING with that.  I'm very satisfied with the way Maniac Moose handles my NAS.  I'm also relieved that my the risk to my sizeable investment in music has been reduced by the redundancy of my NAS.

XMAN

« Reply #1792 on: 4 Feb 2017, 12:41 am »
Thats an old video

Just asking because i intend to install an internal soon.  I'm not trying to be a ^&*( or anything

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1793 on: 4 Feb 2017, 01:55 am »
Uncompressed 192khz 24bit flac seems to operate fine so long as you can get about 2Mbps bandwidth, which shouldn't be an issue.  I wouldn't rely solely on a NAS with a raid array as your backup, you should keep the files stored on another location to keep them from:

-accidental deletion
-filesystem corruption
-crypto-lock scam
-NAS system board failure
-NAS being knocked over
-liquid being spilled on the nas
-fire
-etc

The same can be said just using a USB drive, ideally you would use both or one and some sort of cloud storage

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1794 on: 4 Feb 2017, 01:57 am »
Just asking because i intend to install an internal soon.  I'm not trying to be a ^&*( or anything

That's fair, I'm just saying you should use disk information.  If I was rude I apologize

:thumb:

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1795 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:41 pm »
Uncompressed 192khz 24bit flac seems to operate fine so long as you can get about 2Mbps bandwidth, which shouldn't be an issue.  I wouldn't rely solely on a NAS with a raid array as your backup, you should keep the files stored on another location to keep them from:

-accidental deletion
-filesystem corruption
-crypto-lock scam
-NAS system board failure
-NAS being knocked over
-liquid being spilled on the nas
-fire
-etc

The same can be said just using a USB drive, ideally you would use both or one and some sort of cloud storage

Yes, agree whole heartedly; raid is not a backup or protection for the items you have listed.  There are several very good cloud-based backup vendors out there if you don't have access to tape.  We use tape for backups in-house.

Mostly my point was to reflect my experience that a NAS on a network is a good choice for an audio source.

XMAN

« Reply #1796 on: 9 Feb 2017, 02:01 am »
How can I access my internal ssd on my BDP2?  I'm running windows 10 and tried to access it via windows explorer as per the video with no luck.  Is there a step by steps for windows 10?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1797 on: 9 Feb 2017, 02:31 am »
It shouldn't any different

\\<BDP's up address\

The default user should be both

bryston

However if that doesn't work try

bryston-bdp-2\bryston

With the password still as bryston

If you've changed the BDP's name in the network interface page you'll need to change the "bryston-bdp-2" to the new name given.

If all else fails give us a ring

XMAN

« Reply #1798 on: 9 Feb 2017, 03:38 am »
I can't get to the "log credentials" page i get the attached message

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1799 on: 9 Feb 2017, 06:10 pm »
Are you certain you have the correct ip address?

I have Windows 10 also and have no issues getting to my bdp2. Nothing special, just shows up under network. No home group set up or anything like that.

I did set up my router to allocate the same ip address every time the bdp2 connects. By default, most routers will dynamically assign an ip address each time a device connects. If that happens, you will not usually get the same ip address two times in a row.

You can check the ip address the bdp is using with the arrows on the front display. I THINK it's down, left, left (that was my interpretation from the last page on the most recent manual anyway).