Ohm Walsh Speakers

Lars

Ohm Walsh Speakers
« on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm »
Hi

Has somebody listen to Ohm Walsh Speakers?    Especially in combination with Bryston?

Greeting Lars

Phil A

Re: Ohm Walsh Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm »
Never listened in combination with Bryston but have heard them but probably not in at least a half dozen years.  Many moons ago, a friend of mine had Ohm Fs.  I like them.  Would love to hear the latest.  At one point many years back they had somewhat of a dealer network.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:46 pm »
Which model? I had a pair of Walsh 4 - had them updated from the Ohm factory about 5-6 yrs ago. I sold them to a friend that uses Bryston gear. I was using Hafler XL-280s (monoblock) then an Adcom GFA-5802 and just before I sold them I was using an AVA FetValve 550 + double. Although I didn't have the Bryston I can comment on the overall sound of the Ohms. Maybe I can get my friend to weigh in on the Bryston/Ohm combo - I know he loves it. The current version from Ohm that most closely matches the 4's is the Walsh 4000's I believe. You can check them out at http://www.ohmspeakers.com/productline.cfm.

Lars

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm »
Hi

Since we have a new distribution in Europe Ohm Speaker got some reviews. Otherwise People wrote in Messages Boards that Ohm Speaker have a flappy base and can not build a good soundstage.

The Ohm 1000 - 2000 with the intelligent Room adjustment are pretty interesting. I use a Bryston B100sst Ampelifier.
Can you compare this Speakers with Shahinian ?

Greets Lars

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:51 pm »
The Ohm speakers certainly brings up the issue of what kind of dispersion characteristics a speaker in a room should have given their omni-directional polar response :scratch:

James

bondmanp

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:15 pm »
Lars -

I have owned the Ohm Walsh 2000s for almost two years.  My complete review is posted on Audiogon. 

I use the Odyssey Audio Stratos HT3 for power, and I do use them with a pair of powered Vandersteen subwoofers.  From what I have read, the Ohms like juice, and lots of it.  That's a strong point of Bryston, so I would bet the synergy would be good.

In any case, with Ohm's 120-day in home trial period, you can find out for yourself for the cost of round-trip shipping.

Let me know if you need more info, and I will try to help.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2011, 04:49 pm »
Lars -

I have owned the Ohm Walsh 2000s for almost two years.  My complete review is posted on Audiogon. 

I use the Odyssey Audio Stratos HT3 for power, and I do use them with a pair of powered Vandersteen subwoofers.  From what I have read, the Ohms like juice, and lots of it.  That's a strong point of Bryston, so I would bet the synergy would be good.

In any case, with Ohm's 120-day in home trial period, you can find out for yourself for the cost of round-trip shipping.

Let me know if you need more info, and I will try to help.

Hi bondmanp,

Can you give me the link - I am very interested in your assessment of the soundstage presentation. :thumb:

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:23 pm »
Hi bondmanp,

Can you give me the link - I am very interested in your assessment of the soundstage presentation. :thumb:

james
Could be this one?
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1270213477&&&/Ohm-Acoustics-Ohm-

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:28 pm »
I would like to know how Shahinian Acoustics would be in compare with Ohm with Bryston amps. :scratch:
http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/

bondmanp

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:58 pm »
Yup, that's my review.  Thanks.  Please read the follow-up posts as well.  As I have upgraded the electronics, added bases and made other changes in my system, the 2000s have responded nicely.  And I am not done yet.  I think the fact that many of my upstream components cost almost as much as or even more than the 2000s is important.  Since I have have no feeling that the 2000s are holding back the sound, it suggests the Ohms punch well above their price point.  I recently decided that I need to do some work on the room acoustics.  I am in over my head with that, but I know people who can help me, so wish me luck.

Prelude - I've never heard Shahinians.  A big issue is that there is no retail distribution of Shahinian, and he builds to order, with no home trial.  You simply cannot audition these unless you live near Shahinian or someone who ownes them.  So you buy them, and if you don't like them, you have to sell them yourself.  Not a viable business model, in my opinion. 

PRELUDE

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2011, 06:52 pm »

Prelude - I've never heard Shahinians.  A big issue is that there is no retail distribution of Shahinian, and he builds to order, with no home trial.  You simply cannot audition these unless you live near Shahinian or someone who ownes them.  So you buy them, and if you don't like them, you have to sell them yourself.  Not a viable business model, in my opinion.
[/quote]
Hi bondmanp,
Thanks and I do wish you a good luck.I have no purchase plan at all.I just would like to see how they sing compare to the price.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:55 pm »
Many moons ago (almost 25 years?)  both Ohm and Shahinian had retail distribution.  I have not either since those times.  Did like them both.  Yes it is a bad business model in my opinion as well given all the choices to make someone buy something without a trial if you don't have dealers.

Yha

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2011, 12:52 am »
I have a pair of Shahinian Obelisk '2s' - they were bought unheard direct from the factory during the time I was living in the US but I had already heard the compass model, which is their entry level model and was so impressed by them, that I felt that purchasing the Obelisks unheard was worth the risk.

I really like the idea of omni directional speakers. I have a combined 2 channel and HT system and prior to the obelisks, had owned Maggies and PSBs. The obelisks give a wide expansive soundstage, are musical and detailed. I have heard criticisms that omnis in general can sound diffuse and lack the pinpoint imaging that more traditional designs can provide, but I've never found that a problem -  while the presentation of sound is quite different, I am really happy with the results. For me, one big advantage is that I'm no longer chained to the specific sweet spot to get the best sound. With my maggies, they sounded pretty average if I stood up or sat to either side of the centre of my couch, which was a real problem when watching movies. Now, I get the same great sound over a much greater area.

I'd like to hear the Ohm Walsh speakers some day... 

bondmanp

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2011, 01:37 pm »
Yha - As I remarked in my Audiogon review of the Walsh 2000s, my experience with the Ohms has been a revelation.  While the presentation of the sound stage is different than that of "monkey coffin" loudspeakers, I am getting as good, if not better, defined images.  There is little or no shift with frequency of these images, and they are quite solid and palpable.  This has been a pleasant suprise.  I think that most people who state that omnis (or quasi-omnis like the current Walsh series) are incapable of solid image re-creation either haven't heard these speakers or haven't heard them properly set up.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:31 pm »
Ohm and Shahinian are polydirectional, not omnidirectional.   For omnidirectional,   check out Morrison or Duevel speakers.   The advantage of Morrison's bigger model (#17) is that they can be driven ACTIVELY,  and Don Morrison has told me that he is quite familiar with Bryston gear.   I am truly lusting for that model 17....   

bondmanp

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2011, 05:46 pm »
Some clarification:  While the original Ohm Walsh speakers were true omnis, current models are designed to attenuate somewhat the signal radiation from the rear of the cans.  This is done to facilitate placement closer to the rear wall.  Note that Ohm will build to order Walsh series speakers without the rear attenuation upon request.  Also, the super tweeter, which kicks in above 8kHz, is a conventional design, and does not have an omni dispersion pattern. So, yes, the current Walsh speakers from Ohm are not a true omni radiation design, but they offer something much closer to that than standard box speakers.

Mike82

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm »
Well, I just ran across this thread since I’ve not been visiting the audio sites lately. I have owned both the Obelisks (2005 version) and the Ohm 100.  I had the Obelisks first as I was wanting to get into the “omni sound”.  Sad to say, I didn’t like them. I don’t think it was the other gear that contributed (McIntosh C42, MC252, MCD205).  They had a midrange suck out that I just couldn’t live with, so I sold them.  I then thought I’d try the Ohms.  These were the most musically satisfying speakers i’ve owned in about 40 years of being in this hobby. 

I can say they like current so skimping on an amp is probably not a good idea.

I sold them after a move which placed my system in a much larger room.  I didn’t have the coin to get a pair of Walsh 3000, so I built some speakers based on the GPA 604. 

I miss the Ohms.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:44 am »
I owned a pair of Ohm G's, which had a smaller Walsh driver at the top of a tower with a conventional woofer below.  It was actively driven with a dedicated equalizer.

They were just ok- never measured up to the more truly omnidirectional Design Acoustic D-12's (which are still very good with orchestral music). At the time I bought the D-12's I auditioned the Ohm F's, and might have perferred them, but they required too much power at the time, and the Design Acoustics were quite efficient.

My D-12's are still in HT use. 
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2012, 04:47 am by S Clark »

Fatboy

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2012, 06:05 am »
Hey check this out. A beautiful exotic omnidirectional speaker.

www.alkemiavero.com