Speaker Question for James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Speaker Question for James
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:58 am »
Why would you think that?

The IB2i has the better PMC midrange speaker. Same tweeter and woofer as the EB1i.

I have seen the physical mid-range from the EB1i and IB2i(outside of the speaker itself).

There is a huge difference in magnet size and the driver itself. 

I did not know that. Thanks.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:11 am »
The mid range on the ib2i is light years beyond as far as power handling and dispersion is concerned. A number of dealers and customers have brought on the ib2i's after being quite happy with the eb's but were looking to step it up a notch. The ib's, whether I series or studio, can hold their own against a plethora of quality speakers just in the mid range alone... So the ib2i's are definitely worth the listen.. If you've got the time, you won't regret it. Powered with the 7b's at rmaf, the only way I among others could  describe them would be effortlessly full range and supremely listenable.

In short PMC 75mm midrange good.

mclsound

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:35 pm »
I concur with Ian but if you want to save a ton of money,the non""i"" are just as good for the thousands,$$$ you will save.I have heard and donnot let the hyperbowl litature on the tweeter out do the money saved or the big step up in performance from say
OB1i($7000) to the IB1 non"i"($4000)
          or
eb1"i"($11,500) to the IB2 non i($6500)
          or
IB2"i"($13,000) to the MB2 non i($8000)

adol290

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:51 pm »
I concur with Ian but if you want to save a ton of money,the non""i"" are just as good for the thousands,$$$ you will save.I have heard and donnot let the hyperbowl litature on the tweeter out do the money saved or the big step up in performance from say
OB1i($7000) to the IB1 non"i"($4000)
          or
eb1"i"($11,500) to the IB2 non i($6500)
          or
IB2"i"($13,000) to the MB2 non i($8000)

It depends on what your ears like.

I tried an IB2 non i before I got the IB2i

My ears prefer the new IB2i.

Unfortunately the cost of admission is higher. It was worth it to me.

mclsound

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:42 pm »
And yet your asking about other speakers already? :scratch:

adol290

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:57 pm »
And yet your asking about other speakers already? :scratch:

And I always will.

It is the nature of this hobby, and many other hobbies.

Why does Jay Leno have more than 1 car?

Why does James have more that 1 audio system?  :lol:

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2011, 08:25 pm »
So you will keep the PMCs?

adol290

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:37 am »
So you will keep the PMCs?

Yes,

I still have to try some more cable tweaks(testing some new Bryston). I also need to explore
 room treatments as I don't have any.

These are my first "High End" speakers.

My brother introduced me to this Small High end shop. The owner has been in the business for over 30 years and never advertised, just word of mouth.
He recommend Bryston, Torus and PMC, and that is what I did. He never carries stock, so I ordered after researching on the internet.

I got my EB1i's and 3 CB6i's(center and surrounds) in Aug 2009. Upgrade-itus hit me and I
 upgraded 1 CB6i to an IB2i Center, and then my EB1i's to my current IB2i's.

Before this I had definitve technology speakers for about 10 years. I upgraded through their line and
 made it up to the BP7001sc. I also had their top of the line Center and surrounds.

The only other speakers I had heard were some B&W's in the $8000 range, an adagio, and a
 midrange electrostatic, in a local store. This is the store that I got my Definitives from.

SO, I have not had a huge opportunity to compare speakers at this level, and am making sure I
 am still on the right track.

vegasdave

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2011, 02:56 am »
Cool. You might wanna look into DYNAUDIO. I like their speakers. They're expensive but we're not talking 6 figures here.

http://www.dynaudio.com

predrag

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2011, 05:54 pm »
Hello!

Nice discussion going on here here!
My two cents  on PMC`s:
Tweeter: old (non i) vesion sounds a bit sharper then the new (i version).
New i version has a slightly silkier sound. There is no dramatic difference rather a matter of taste.
No wonder that pros don`t switch to the new one. However the newer i version does not justify the differennce in price.
Midrange driver: Yes, had a chance to have in my hands both of these drivers and the difference is really big. The big unit used for IB2 and MB2 has much bigger magnet than the one used in IB1 and EB1.
Soundwise clearly better however at much higher price.
Bass: When i tested MB2 in my room it seemed to me that it`s although looking so mighty didn`t go as deep as the bass of EB1. The midrange seemed to be outstanding from the rest.

MB2 or IB2 or EB1 ?
Give them a listen and judge by your ears.
You can not go wrong with either of these.
There is a lot of individual character in each of them.

Unfortunately my local KEF dealer does not give me a chance to listen to their speakers in my room therefore I have disqualifed them. This is high-end and they have to have individual approach to each customer (read: borrow the speakers for a listen).

Just my opinion.