james

Viajero5000

Re: IB2i's Arrive
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:12 pm »
sweet! any initial observations James?

They look good on the stands!
Only been on 20 minutes.

james

haha, they do look quite smart! we'll let you listen a few days before asking for commentary...

Robert D

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:02 pm »
Nice James  aa

I guess you will not be needing a Sub

Robert

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:11 pm »

James Quick question how far are these speakers apart from each other 6 feet or 8 feet
And the back wall is what Distance

I?m curious

Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:50 pm »

James Quick question how far are these speakers apart from each other 6 feet or 8 feet

I?m curious

Robert

Hi Robert,

Listening room 1 is 23x16x8 and the speakers are 4 feet from the front wall and 10 feet apart center to center.  I sit 10 feet back so a equal lateral triangle listening position.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2009, 12:51 pm »

I?m curious

Robert

Hi Robert,

Listening room 1 is 23x16x8 and the speakers are 4 feet from the front wall and 10 feet apart center to center.  I sit 10 feet back so a equal lateral triangle listening position.

james

Hi James,

Now you have old Pythagoras rolling over in his grave.  Applying his theorum to your listening position dimensions you will find that your triangle has a base of 10' and the other two sides are 11.18 feet and is thus not equilateral.  Taking your triangle defined by you and the speakers you then draw a line from you to the mid point between the speakers thereby creating two identical right triangles.  The distance from you to the speakers represents the hypoteneus of each triangle.  Since we now know the dimensions of the other two sides, 10' and 5', we can solve for the hypoteneus by using the C squared = A squared + B squared formula.  A squared = 100 and B squared = 25.  The square root of 125 = 11.18.  Now if you want to tweak your listening position for better sound you must divide the formula by 28B SST squared to confirm the proper listening position. :wink:

Bill
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2009, 06:54 pm by 95Dyna »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:10 pm »
WOW Bill- :icon_lol:

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:55 pm »

I?m curious

Robert

Hi Robert,

james

Hi James,

Now you have old Pythagorus rolling over in his grave.  Applying his theorum to your listening position dimensions you will find that your triangle has a base of 10' and the other two sides are 11.18 feet and is thus not equilateral.  Taking your triangle defined by you and the speakers you then draw a line from you to the mid point between the speakers thereby creating two identical right triangles.  The distance from you to the speakers represents the hypoteneus of each triangle.  Since we now know the dimensions of the other two sides, 10' and 5', we can solve for the hypoteneus by using the C squared equals A squared + B squared formula.  A squared = 100 and B squared = 25.  The square root of 125 = 11.18.  Now if you want to tweak your listening position for better sound you must subtract 28B SST squared from the formula to confirm the proper listening position.

Bill

cool!

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:58 pm »
Which model of amps are you driving these speakers with?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:42 pm »
Which model of amps are you driving these speakers with?

28B's and 7B's.

james

Robert D

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:23 pm »
Bill If I could get some help that would be Great

Listening room  is 41x16x8 and the speakers are 3 feet from the front wall and 6 feet apart center to center.  I sit 12 feet back so a equal lateral triangle listening position.

Your Thoughts and feed back would be great

Regards Robert

Gojo

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2009, 12:30 am »
Thought I should jump in before Bill starts making money at this.

Bill, the distance from listening position to speaker as you correctly stated is the hypothenus, which is 10 ft in Jame's case.  This is side is indeed "C", hence no need to calculate.  My grade nine students would have spotted that a mile-a way.

Now the question I thought Bill was going to answer is how far do you sit away from both speakers but in the middle.  That would be the square root of (C squared minus A squared) or in this case sq root (10 sq - 5 sq) which = 8.66.

James, I hope that clarifies things.  You can put the tape measure and calculator away!

Sincerely,

Joe

Robert D

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2009, 12:56 am »
Joe can you clarify that for me.
My set up?. my distance?. my .....
Let me know your thoughts I?m curious

Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:08 am »
An architect was completing the final design of a 5 building office complex when a junior design assistant suggested that he neglected to also include the interconnecting walkways between the various buildings. The junior design assistant suggested that they take into consideration the amount of people in each building and the type of businesses and stores that were located in each structure. With this information, we can base our walkways on a calculated model to ensure the maximum efficiency of pedestrian traffic. 

"We will sod the common area between the buildings," was the architect's only reply. 

Approximately one year after the construction was completed and all of the buildings were fully populated, the architect and his junior design assistant returned to the common area between the 5 building complex. What was immediately evident was the paths that were worn into the sod. Some paths were narrower than others, some were shorter while others were much longer.

The architect smiled and viewed how individuals were moving efficiently between the buildings. The architect turned to his junior assistant and said, "here is your answer to your walkway calculation model, bring a crew in and pave over each foot path."

I move my chair until I find the ?sweet spot.?   

Robert D

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:20 am »
Laundrew

That?s where I?m setting is in the sweet spot 

At least I think so .................... can it get any better ?

Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:38 am »
Laundrew

That?s where I?m setting is in the sweet spot 

At least I think so .................... can it get any better ?

Robert

Hello Robert,

My room at this time is not a really great listening environment. I have a lot of reflective surfaces and my speakers do not have an "obstacle free" path to me (this will change after a future room renovation). I seem to be sitting at the "sweet spot" for my current room acoustics. I cannot tell where the music is originating from - it is kind of all around me. If I move out of this area, I can discern where the music is coming from.

Be well...   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:52 am »
The sweet spot depends on a number of factors such as speaker dispersion and reflective surfaces in a specific room but basically your trying to achieve a 3-dimensional sound stage that spreads out and away from the speakers with no holes or dead spots in the sound field. Generally the best sweet spot is dead center between a stereo pair of speakers but some wide dispersion speakers can widen that sweet spot a little.

I try to get the stage as wide as possible (my bias) and as deep as possible without creating a 'hole in the middle' of the soundstage. With the PMC's that means you aim the speakers at you so that the axis of the mid drivers meet about 2 feet behind your head.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2009, 02:29 am »
Thought I should jump in before Bill starts making money at this.

Bill, the distance from listening position to speaker as you correctly stated is the hypothenus, which is 10 ft in Jame's case.  This is side is indeed "C", hence no need to calculate.  My grade nine students would have spotted that a mile-a way.

Now the question I thought Bill was going to answer is how far do you sit away from both speakers but in the middle.  That would be the square root of (C squared minus A squared) or in this case sq root (10 sq - 5 sq) which = 8.66.

James, I hope that clarifies things.  You can put the tape measure and calculator away!

Sincerely,

Joe

Hi Gojo,

The dimension you are trying to solve for and claim is 8.66' was given by James in his original post.  He stated he sits dead center between the speakers 10' back.  He also states that the distance between the speakers is also 10'.  He did not state that he sits 10' from each speaker so it is the "C" dimension that we don't know based on the information James has given us.  I think we are both correct in the use of the theorem but have just interpreted  differently whether James is sitting 10' back from the midpoint of the speaker plane or 10' from each speaker.  Anyway, I was just trying to add some levity to the thread.  Dividing by 28B SST squared was a big tip off to that end. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2009, 01:05 pm by 95Dyna »