Bryston preamp

Xinon

Bryston preamp
« on: 2 Jan 2014, 05:31 am »
Looking for preamp to use with a 4b sst2 in a 2 channel setup .
What is the best sounding Bryston preamplifier for 2 channel music?
Bp17 because it is the newest .
Bp26 because of external power and xlr in .
Sp3 .
Anyone compared all three of them ?
Is Bryston Bp27 coming soon, the Bp26 has been around for ages .

Xinon

Re: Bryston preamp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2014, 07:49 pm »
Its been around forever so it must be good .
Bought the Bp26 today  :thumb:

Samurai7595

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2014, 08:16 pm »

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase!

spinner

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2014, 08:58 pm »
Sometimes there's no need to change just for the sake of change. :thumb:

Xinon

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2014, 06:46 pm »
Thankyou Samurai :)
Agree with you Spinner, been listening to the Bp26 and 4BSST2 now, and it is a great combo .
Thanks to Bryston for including the remote2 , I like it  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2014, 07:22 pm »
I am plenty happy with my BP-26 and 4B-SST².
With various adjustments and tweaks (in the other components of my system) the sound gets better.. And the amp and preamp keep right up. They NEVER have become a bottleneck to better sound.

budcook

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2014, 03:47 am »
I'm forced to do some downsizing.  I've replaced my Maggie 1.7's with Harbeth C7's and I've ordered a Bryston 2.5BSST2 to replace the 4BSST2.

I almost ordered a B135 but just couldn't give up the BP-26.

If anybody is interested in a mint, one year old 4BSST2, send me a message.

Bud

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2014, 03:59 am »
How do you like the Harbeths compared to the Maggie's?
I've always wanted to hear the Harbeths.

budcook

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2014, 04:55 am »
How do you like the Harbeths compared to the Maggie's?
I've always wanted to hear the Harbeths.

I just got the Harbeths but haven't received the Sound Anchor stands yet.  I've got them sitting on chairs right now.  Like every component I've ever had, I didn't like them right out of the box but they are getting better and better. 

I'm hoping the C7 bass tightens up with the stands but right now it's a bit tubby. Otherwise, they sound pretty darn good.  They sound a bit like big versions of the Rogers LS3/5a's I had for years.  I like the BBC sound.

Maybe this is an indication of how they sound.  My wife almost never sat down to listen to maggies. Tonight she's listened to the C7's while I've gone though playlist after playlist in the BDP-2.

I'm replacing the Maggies because my wife thought they were too big.  The C7's work much better in our family room.

I'd like to hear 30.1's.  I bought my C7's from Gene Rubin and the 30's are his favorite speaker.  BTW, he told me he's sold 100 C7's in the last year.

Bud

I should add that given adequate space and decent stands, I believe nothing can compete with the Maggie 1.7's for value.  It's an amazing speaker.  It's just colorless and very fast.  I will say that the C7's handled the Sunrise opening of Also Sprach Zarathrustra very well.  When the music exploded, it was startling.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2014, 02:07 pm by budcook »

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2014, 04:38 pm »
Thanks Bud, I'd love to hear the 30.1s too.

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2014, 05:35 pm »
I just got the Harbeths but haven't received the Sound Anchor stands yet.  I've got them sitting on chairs right now.  Like every component I've ever had, I didn't like them right out of the box but they are getting better and better. 

I'm hoping the C7 bass tightens up with the stands but right now it's a bit tubby. Otherwise, they sound pretty darn good.  They sound a bit like big versions of the Rogers LS3/5a's I had for years.  I like the BBC sound.

Maybe this is an indication of how they sound.  My wife almost never sat down to listen to maggies. Tonight she's listened to the C7's while I've gone though playlist after playlist in the BDP-2.

I'm replacing the Maggies because my wife thought they were too big.  The C7's work much better in our family room.

I'd like to hear 30.1's.  I bought my C7's from Gene Rubin and the 30's are his favorite speaker.  BTW, he told me he's sold 100 C7's in the last year.

Bud

I should add that given adequate space and decent stands, I believe nothing can compete with the Maggie 1.7's for value.  It's an amazing speaker.  It's just colorless and very fast.  I will say that the C7's handled the Sunrise opening of Also Sprach Zarathrustra very well.  When the music exploded, it was startling.

Harbeth Compact 7 are seem like a very nice set of loudspeakers. How much do they cost?

Cheers!
Antun

s4s4s4

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:44 pm »
Yes old but great, a superb pre-amp, but can't help thinking maybe Bryston could come up with something better now.

Even the MC phono is fantastic as long as the cartridge is suitable. Since Bryston seem to be the masters of low noise circuits. Maybe its time for them to do away with the MC transformers. I know they can do a high gain stage that can offer more flexibility on gain and loading than the current  transformer based solution with very little compromise in noise.

Bryston has embraced (the new) digital and done an incredible job with the BDP/BDA products. I don't think they are surpassed at any price.

But now its time to embrace the resurgence in analog, GO Bryston….:^)

adan888

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:04 am »
Its been around forever so it must be good .

Hello members, I am new to this forum. :icon_lol:
Just like Xinon, I just bought (Jan. 2014) a brand new 4BSST2 and BP26/MPS2 but disappointed to find that the BP26/MPS2 was manufactured on the 1st quarter of 2010, but the amp was on 2013.  I bought Bryston because of the 20 yr warranty, in this case I only have 17. Have you guys heard of a new purchase with older date of manufacture? :scratch:

I already phoned my dealer about this issue.  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:28 am »
Hello members, I am new to this forum. :icon_lol:
Just like Xinon, I just bought (Jan. 2014) a brand new 4BSST2 and BP26/MPS2 but disappointed to find that the BP26/MPS2 was manufactured on the 1st quarter of 2010, but the amp was on 2013.  I bought Bryston because of the 20 yr warranty, in this case I only have 17. Have you guys heard of a new purchase with older date of manufacture? :scratch:

I already phoned my dealer about this issue.  :o
\

Don't worry - just keep the sales slip and we can start the warranty as of then.

james

adan888

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2014, 12:38 am »
\

Don't worry - just keep the sales slip and we can start the warranty as of then.

james

Thanks James, but 17 yrs down the line, the receipt would fade or get lost. would you think I deserve a later date  of manufacture because I am buying a brand new item? As mentioned earlier, the amp MY is 2013 but the pre-amp/PS set MY is 2010 why can't they come with a closer and later date of manufacture. They have been sitting there for 3 years waiting for a new home.  :nono:

thanks again. :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2014, 01:23 am »
Thanks James, but 17 yrs down the line, the receipt would fade or get lost. would you think I deserve a later date  of manufacture because I am buying a brand new item? As mentioned earlier, the amp MY is 2013 but the pre-amp/PS set MY is 2010 why can't they come with a closer and later date of manufacture. They have been sitting there for 3 years waiting for a new home.  :nono:

thanks again. :cry:

Hi

They do not sit around at our end in the factory as they are built each and every week based on orders.  Where did you buy it?

james

adan888

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2014, 01:55 am »
Hi

They do not sit around at our end in the factory as they are built each and every week based on orders.  Where did you buy it?

james

James, these units were purchased from Sydney Hi-Fi, here in Australia.

budcook

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:42 am »
Thanks Bud, I'd love to hear the 30.1s too.

My new 30.1's are in town and I'll get them tomorrow.  The C7's are packed and ready to return to Gene Rubin.  I have also received the Sound Anchor stands so tomorrow I'll finally get a chance to hear what those 30's are all about.

BTW, I've been using a new 2.5BSST(2) to drive the C7's.  Terrific amp!  Having owned a BP-17, I've gotta say the B135 has got to be one very desirable product.  I would have bought one if I didn't need separates.

I replaced the BP-17 with a BP-26 primarily to get balanced inputs but I've found that even with the 2.5B input set to 2V. I need to use a single ended input into the 26 go get better control over the volume.

Having owned both the 17 and 26 I'd have a hard time recommending one over the other.  The 17 does have superior ergonomics with remote control over inputs, a more practical volume range, pass through and equal sonic performance.

Bud

budcook

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:49 am »
Harbeth Compact 7 are seem like a very nice set of loudspeakers. How much do they cost?

Cheers!
Antun
  List price is $3,850 plus the cost of stands.  I was able to get a pair with a very minor flaw for a good deal.  I liked them so much I made a deal to swap them for new 30.1's which are in town and will be delivered tomorrow.  I've replaced my 4BSST(2) with a new 2.5BSST(2) and it's a terrific little amp that sounds every bit as good as the 4B.

If you are interested in the C7, give Gene Rubin (Audio) a call and ask him what he wants for the C7's Bud Cook is returning.

Bud

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:03 am »
James, these units were purchased from Sydney Hi-Fi, here in Australia.

They must have had it for a while or the dealer.

james