4BSST2 and 12TC Kimber Kable

ken40

4BSST2 and 12TC Kimber Kable
« on: 1 Aug 2012, 04:01 pm »
I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me about any experiences they have had using the Kimber Kable 12TC speaker cables with their Bryston Amp.

I'm also particulary interested in knowing if the Postmaster 33 lugs will fit the binding post on the 4BSST2 without an issue? Anyone had any problems in that dept? Need help with this before pulling the trigger on buying a used pair.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2012, 07:58 pm by ken40 »

rmurray

Re: 4BSST2 and 12TC Kimber Kable
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2012, 04:24 pm »
 I had that Kimber with my 4Bst some years ago but switched to Audioquest CV4. My speakers are JBL Ti's and the Audioquest made things a bit smoother overall.  :thumb:

sounddog

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2012, 05:02 pm »
I'm currently auditioning a pair of 12TCs from The Cable Company. I'm not sure if they are the regular spades or the Postmasters, but I'll check when I'm home and let you know. Whatever they are, they fit my 4BSST2 w/o any problem (and sound very, very good).

ken40

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2012, 06:16 pm »
Thanks Guys!  :thumb:
I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand speakers hooked to the Amp. I'm currently running Kimber Hero XLR's from the Amp and BCD-1 to the BP26/MPS2 Combo.

At one time, I also considered the CV4 but would like to stick with some reasonably priced KK since I already use the Hero IC's.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2012, 07:59 pm by ken40 »

sounddog

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm »
I've checked the 12TCs I have - the connectors are WBT copper spades.

ken40

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm »
Thanks Sounddog! Yeah, those postmasters appear to be a larger lug. Having my doubts they will fit. Don't hesitate to give give me more info on your impression of the cable. I'm looking for a good used pair of either the 8tc or 12tc. Just have to weed out the counterfeiters.

sounddog

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:07 am »
The 12TCs have a rich sound with a lot of presence. The instruments maintain their individuality and natural color (can you tell that my wife is a musician?) but not in a way that detracts from their sound in combination. By coincidence, I'm about to get a pair of 8TCs from The Cable Company to compare to the 12TCs (to see if I can get close to that same sound quality for a lower price) and I'll be happy to share my thoughts on the comparison. But the 12TCs make a dramatic, not subtle, difference in my system.

ken40

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2012, 12:37 am »
Haha!  :lol: Good info! I've read somewhere that a guy talked to a Kimber Rep and they said you probably won't hear a difference between the two unless the woofers in the speakers are large. If so then then the 12tc would sound better. My VA's don't have large woofers, but I would buy either if the price was right.
A couple days ago, I auditioned by brother in law's Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables. Compared to my current cable (Brand unmentioned), the Red Dawn was much more musical and clean. Soundstage was wider and deeper and the imaging improved. It did tame the bass a great deal, which at first, I wasn't sure I liked because it seemed to take away from the deep bass, I liked with the 4BSST2. After more critical listening, the bass is still there, just more refined. We also tried his Nordost Blue Heaven IC in place of my Kimber Hero's. Long story short and oddly enough, we both agreed, the Kimber Hero IC/Nordost Red Dawn speaker cable combo was slightly better.

klao

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2012, 06:26 am »
I used to run a 2.5m pair of Kimber 8TC/8TC bi-wire w/ my Maggie 1.6's & Krell integrated.  Changed them to SoundString then Harmonic Tech Pro9 Ref.  Now I'm back with single 1.5m pair of 12TC to run between Bryston 7B-SST/2's and Maggie 1.7's.  They're terminated with WBT nextgen silver connectors, though.

The Kimber TC line is a very good value/performance speaker cables for me.   :thumb:   

jjc1

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2012, 01:50 pm »
  I am running KK 12TC Biwired to my Vandy Quattros. I use Cary electronics so I can't comment on the Bryston connection. It took about 75 hours for them to break in and now they sound great. But if you are buying used, they are probably already broken in. In my humble opinion, they are excellent wires (and they are relatively inexpensive). BTW, I also use Kimber Hero interconnects.

spinner

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:09 pm »
   This is really getting to be a non issue :duh:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:24 pm »
 I found the Nordost Red Dawn a better bet with my Bryston system. You can also try the Cables forum on this Circle. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2012, 09:40 pm by redbook »

sounddog

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:13 am »
I just finished comparing the 8TCs to the 12TCs on our system (we also use Kimber ICs, speakers are Salk HT2-TLs). To my ears, there was no comparison. The 8TCs lost much of the richness I heard with the 12TCs and sound etched and less integrated by comparison. If you can afford the price difference, I'd definitely recommend the 12TCs (which to me sound almost as good as the Monocle-Xs that I also compared on our system, and for less than 1/2 the cost). Admittedly, I haven't auditioned many speaker cables, but for a cheaper alternative to the 12s, I can recommend Crimson Audio cables (which list for about the same price as the 8TCs). But there are only a handful of Crimson dealers in the US and I think it would be hard to find a used pair for sale.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2012, 11:47 am »
I have used the 'postmaster' spades previously with my 8TC.
The Postmaster spades really are problematic.
They are NOT designed to be tightened down much. They have a rubber insert between two plates, and various grooves in said plates. If they are tightened down hard, they are damaged, permanently.
The rubber bits fall out.. I grew tired of them really fast.
Otherwise i love Kimber 8TC, and would think the 12TC is even better.

Rod_S

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm »
I just finished comparing the 8TCs to the 12TCs on our system (we also use Kimber ICs, speakers are Salk HT2-TLs). To my ears, there was no comparison. The 8TCs lost much of the richness I heard with the 12TCs and sound etched and less integrated by comparison. If you can afford the price difference, I'd definitely recommend the 12TCs (which to me sound almost as good as the Monocle-Xs that I also compared on our system, and for less than 1/2 the cost). Admittedly, I haven't auditioned many speaker cables, but for a cheaper alternative to the 12s, I can recommend Crimson Audio cables (which list for about the same price as the 8TCs). But there are only a handful of Crimson dealers in the US and I think it would be hard to find a used pair for sale.

Excellent read. I always wondered what the differences would be between the 8TC and 12TC and then between the 12TC and Monocles. I use varying Kimber cables in my system, balanced PBJ's between my amps and SSP and single ended Tonic's for my balanced 5.1 between my Blu-Ray player and SSP, HD19's between my Blu-Ray and tv and between my PVR and TV, a PK10 Gold for my main power conditioner and a Cadence for one of my subwoofers but have yet to add Kimber speaker cables so insights like yours are very informative. The potential candidates at the moment for me are Kimber's Monocle XL's and WireWorld's Silver Electra's. I auditioned Monocle XL's a while back and loved them but have not yet had an opportunity to hear the Silver Electra's for myself.

ken40

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:12 pm »
More good info. I've seen close up pics of the used TC with the Postmasters 33's. I seen how tore up they get with use. Not knowing a great deal about electronics (just what my ears tell me) I've even wondered what the advantages were to this type of spade with the rubber insert in the middle anyway. Even though I'm looking forward to reading more feedback, I think I can safely say, I'll more likely stay away from the Postmaster 33 terminal and opt for the other spade on an authentic pair of used Kimber 8tc or 12tc. Beside's, no one here has confirmed they fit the 4BSST2 binding posts.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2012, 08:44 pm by ken40 »

BobRex

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2012, 06:23 pm »
The idea behind the rubber insert was to provide a "compression fitting" that would possibly be tighter and (more importantly) hold that tightness for a longer period.  If you spin a binding post tight against a standard metal spade lug, it will be tight, but any force on the lug (say heavy wire pulling on the lug) would / might loosen the fitting.  By sandwiching a compressable material in the lug the lug tends to "fight back", and should maintain tightness.

ken40

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2012, 08:41 pm »
Thanks BobRex- That makes sense! Kinda' like a Spring Lock Washer I suppose?

fullerf@cox.net

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm »
I have the Kimber 12TC w/postmaster spades and Bryston 4B SST2 and they work fine.  No issues.

MOZ

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2012, 06:29 pm »
Hi all,

I've just switched to some very high end Nordost speaker cables (Nordost SPM Reference Speakers bi-wiring) and it sounds great on my 7B's SST2/Revel Studio 1. These are some cables you can buy used and you'll praise me after  :duh:

by TerryB a AudioPhile from

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2005

Bottom Line:   
Can only reiterate what's been written already - unless you can afford Valhalla, you don't really need to look any further for a speaker cable. A huge leap forward from Red Dawn. Like all the best hi-fi componenets, it just reproduces what it's given without colouration, loss of information or any other negative trait.

For the center channel (4B SST2) we put a Transparent Wave 200 and that's great too.