Audiophiles' Lack of Respect Hurting Audio Industry

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Re: Audiophiles' Lack of Respect Hurting Audio Industry
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:29 am »
Interesting article.  :thumb:

I take issue with this statement, however.

Maybe it’s time for audiophiles to rediscover the enjoyment of music. It will help them gain respect for product designers, recording engineers and musicians. And it will help grow the channel.

I don't think it was audiophiles that created compression, the loundness wars, etc. As a group, we obviously enjoy music..............that sounds good.  :D

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:36 am »
I'm not sure it's audiophiles per se, rather than just "the web." The freedom we had with the Internet is being abused from all directions, and I think it will come to an end, sadly. It's only a matter of time before sites like AudioCircle (as it is now) won't be able to exist. Not tomorrow, but in another ten years time, you have to wonder how anyone without very deep pockets will be able to operate a "user-generated content" site.

mrhyfy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:55 am »
The article was an uniformed piece of drivel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:57 am »
I'm not sure it's audiophiles per se, rather than just "the web." The freedom we had with the Internet is being abused from all directions, and I think it will come to an end, sadly. It's only a matter of time before sites like AudioCircle (as it is now) won't be able to exist. Not tomorrow, but in another ten years time, you have to wonder how anyone without very deep pockets will be able to operate a "user-generated content" site.

Hi John

Interesting - from your favored perspective please elaborate. Do you see independent non state run Internet as a no go in the future due to government imposed restrictions or simply the cost of running a site being out of reach by all but the wealth few?

James

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:17 pm »
I don't see that it's possible for there to be an independent internet, in ten or 20 years time. It's not about how it's provided, but the layers over the top of it. Recently, we've seen defamation writs go after not the perpetrator, but the "publisher." Even in Australia, which is relatively sane compared to the US (don't know about Canada, sorry) - and anyway, we're also seeing that international barriers are breaking down - inevitably those will be in favour of companies that have the resources to pay for it. I think that what it's going to boil down to in future is that a "publisher" is going to have to choose - either user-generated content generates enough money to fund innumerable lawsuits, or the model of posted content will have to be changed.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm »
I don't think the "problem" is particularly unique to audiophiles.  My observation would be that the anonymity of the keyboard has created a culture where people can opine (often with a high degree of rancor) with little experience of repercussion. 

Taking cheap shots just because they can has become far more common and courtesy has left the building.  Case in point: my recent fascination with headphones.  When you begin to search the 'net on this topic, the number of opinions is legion...and some are stated vehemently.  In response, those who differ with what has been written respond in kind and soon you see the "popcorn" icons coming out, indicating (at least to me) that many would rather watch a fight than engage the topic the OP started with.

But that too...is just my opinion   :D
Hibuckhobby

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:39 pm »

I concur - I liked the statement "they often spout off ..... and the quality of recordings."  So am I supposed to strive to go it's OK the music is good and I'll live with the crappy recording :scratch:  I like lots of old 60s stuff among other things and can appreciate the music even though the recording quality is not all that great.  I just go Dire Straits "Making Movies" on SHM SACD from Japan.  So there's something wrong that I just paid $60 to support the music industry and to get a good copy of an album I like :scratch:.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm »
Perhaps, Mr. Archer, you've heard the phrase, "The customer is always right".

Doc

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm »
A cynical motto indeed.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:12 pm »
"...But there is another side to this unabashed enthusiasm: the elitist attitude and lack of respect sometimes directed towards product designers and recording engineers..."

Yes I have most diffinately seen a great deal of this attitude from quite a few individuals even though I do not get out very much. I disagree with the articles observation with respect to audiophiles hindering the growth of the audio market. Respect? I have always subscribed to the philosophy that respect should always be earned - enough said about this.

It all simply comes down to the fact that the individuals whom make up the middle class have less disposable income and their purchasing abilities are still being constantly eroded, and let us not forget that it is the middle class who drive the economy.

I have never believed that it is the very wealthy or well off who make companies such as Bryston, Krell, Esoteric and so on successful, but the average guy/gal who is passionate about their music. These individuals work very hard and sometimes makes a few sacrifices along the way to put a dream component on their shelf. The audio industry must understand this and cease pointing fingers everywhere - the well is slowly drying up. Many manufactures will decide to move production offshore to increase profitability - not to maintain it. Why should I further support a manufacturer who refuses to support the local economy?

Oh well, who knows, Lady Laundrew's future high end audio system may just well be purchased from WalMart on coupon day.

:lol:

Be well...

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:42 pm »
Notice how the article refers to the music industry, but the title refers to the audio industry? This is such a smoke screen.  Audiophiles are a minority when it comes to music purchasing, so how can we have sufficient influence to affect the industry?  What's the average age of an audiophile, mid-50's?  How much popular music is targeted to that demographic?  That we buy any current popular music is probably more of an anomoly, a small blip on the sales chart.  Yet, because we care about the sound, and can reference the bygone days to "validate" our impressions, we are hurting the audio / music industry?  Bulls&&t!

Granted, many of us complained about CD quality (and considering the improvements made over the years, with justification), but again, that didn't stop CD playback from taking over the marketplace.  So now the majority of buyers don't want to listen to a complete recording, they'd rather just download the "good bits".   That's our fault?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with a little constructive critisim. That article has good intentions. The fact that we feel obligated to dissect it to dilute the message is an eye opener. (Read the follow up comments).

We should spend more time educating and encouraging each other and less time criticizing and degrading everything. Who has a problem with that?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:08 pm »
"... So now the majority of buyers don't want to listen to a complete recording, they'd rather just download the "good bits".   That's our fault?..."

I think that this is a great observation and it can hurt a band in the long run - individuals only downloading a part of the album. I have on many occasions, not enjoyed a particular tune on a CD when I first listened to it but have grown to appreciate and enjoy it "down the road." I find myself thinking "hey, this is not bad at all." If I only downloaded parts of an album, I would definitely miss out on a lot of great music.

Be well...

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:36 pm »
I concur - I liked the statement "they often spout off ..... and the quality of recordings."  So am I supposed to strive to go it's OK the music is good and I'll live with the crappy recording :scratch:  I like lots of old 60s stuff among other things and can appreciate the music even though the recording quality is not all that great.  I just go Dire Straits "Making Movies" on SHM SACD from Japan.  So there's something wrong that I just paid $60 to support the music industry and to get a good copy of an album I like :scratch:.

That article holds true; you got the majority of the mindless sheep downloading the latest loud-afied flavor of the week to their ipod and listening to it with their Bose-y Beats By Dre earphones.

You spent $60 on a CD; you have the system to enjoy it on. Many wouldn't spent $60 on earphones/headphones unless is it has a sponsor from someone (that's how many of those things are).

sfraser

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:03 pm »
I think author is wrong in laying the blame on audiophiles. Other than him, i don't think anyone else listens to us, or care's about our opinions....other than other audiophiles of course. We are just to small of a group. interesting that he points us out.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:08 pm »
  I disagree 100% with the article. Sounds like spilled milk to me. Always someone elses fault.
  How many formats are we to deal with? CD, DVR, SACD, DVD, and so on. Yup just buy that SACD, 24/96 reissue and now computer downloads. For the most part each format was embraced and bought by audiophiles. Many went hook line and sinker into SACD to find out most of the recording were fair to good sonically. RCA classical  reissues anyone ?
   Our goal as audiophiles is to recreate the source as close to the real sound we perceive. If the recording is skewed we are dead before we start. Years ago it was the goal of the recording industry to create sonic wonders. Miking, full frequency recording all bragged about the sonic quality. Pride. Today after the Engineer does his thing the actual process of stamping the CD or LP is where shit happens. Pump them out. Not our fault. When we call them out it is "us" ? If Reference Recordings or Acoustic Sounds can produce quality recordings why cannot they? Mapleshade as well goes through the ringer to get the sonics and miking spot on. $10 a CD to boot. So it can be done. $22 for a CD is not the issue. Most Audiophiles will spend more than that to get a better recording. It is not the money. I believe that companies like Acoustic Sounds and other audiophile labels are taking their business away. Even though more expensive, it is the sonics that drive us in that direction. Not our fault.
   As for the Manufactures we support what we can afford. There has been alot of support here on AC for small cottage type manufacturers. Prouct is good to great and the prices fair. No distributor, no dealer. Direct sales or reps is getting to be the new way of selling. I believe most of the snobbery exists in the dealers showroom. Not with audiophiles.
  I think the music and audio industry needs to look in the mirror not at excuses. Yes we are dealers and have rethunk the business end our way. So far so good. They need to do the same. Gotta go with the times to stay afloat.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:11 pm »
While the article is totally off base, the author makes one valid point. Many audiophiles spend a lot of time and money on equipment, then wake up one day and realize that most of their red book recordings sound like crap. Of course, we blame the industry for putting out crappy recordings. So if we had only been satisfied with our boom boxes or $100 Walmart speakers like everyone else on the planet, we wouldn't have anything to complain about. :)

If music listening were a sport, audiophiles would be extreme athletes. We would be running 200 mile marathons in the Sonoran Desert while we spoke condescendingly about professional athletes as being mere entertainers for the "sheep."

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:21 pm »
Agree.
And the author is whining. Getting any group 100% behind anything is pretty tough. As a group must do talk up audio. The performance of the recording industry sucks. Who would be a cheerleading squad for THEM?
So all in all the article is just trash talk.

Similarly Chevy owners trashing Ford is about the same sort of  behavior. Does anyone claim those folks are destroying the automobile?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:22 pm »
While the article is totally off base, the author makes one valid point. Many audiophiles spend a lot of time and money on equipment, then wake up one day and realize that most of their red book recordings sound like crap. Of course, we blame the industry for putting out crappy recordings. So if we had only been satisfied with our boom boxes or $100 Walmart speakers like everyone else on the planet, we wouldn't have anything to complain about. :)

If music listening were a sport, audiophiles would be extreme athletes. We would be running 200 mile marathons in the Sonoran Desert while we spoke condescendingly about professional athletes as being mere entertainers for the "sheep."

If audiophila were a disease, we'd all be on Haldol.

Doc