Comments from The Audio Critic about Bryston's amplifiers

pjg66

Re: Comments from The Audio Critic about Bryston's amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2012, 03:45 am »
Thanks myview for posting the link to that issue of The Audio Critic.  It brings back memories.  I never subscribed, but bought a few individual issues, just to see for myself why the high end gurus hated Peter Aczel so much.

I have mixed feelings about Aczel.  On some things he was spot on - for example his admiration for Bryston amps.  And some of his other equipment reviews in the magazine were informative and reasonable.

On the other hand, he carried on this rather viscous and nasty warfare with those in the high-end he disagreed with.  I remember in another issue he listed "good guys" and "bad guys" in audio (I think he called them "white hats" and "black hats").  If my memory is right, Chris Russell was listed as a good guy, while Harry Pearson and William Johnson (of Audio Research) were definitely bad guys.

He blamed Pearson for starting this whole thing of the high-end as a kind of religion, complete with its own dogma that had nothing to do with objective facts or scientific truth.  He blamed Johnson for bringing tubes back to the forefront in audio.  There were a lot of other names on these lists, but I can't recall them (there was a cable guy on the black hats list, but I can't recall which one - it may have been Noel Lee of Monster Cable).

And until this thread, I was not aware of Aczel's conflict of interest in recommending a speaker he had a financial interest in.  If that is so, it certainly would have undermined his credibility.

Anyway, all this "good versus evil"  between the gods of the high-end and the devil Aczel made for some entertaining reading.  I always took with a grain of salt the extreme positions of both those on the subjective side and those on the objective side, but the debate is fascinating. As with most things in life, the truth is somewhere in between.

Scientific fact and objective measurements can indeed contribute greatly to making the music come alive in your own listening room.  But in the end, you can only listen through your own ears, and you have to trust them.

Warren_Buff

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:16 pm »
You ought to give a Darzeel amp a listen.  They make pretty nice stuff.  Yes, it's expensive because you're paying a penalty for it being made in low quantity and in Switzerland, but great sound nonetheless.

With an 18 month backlog to get a Dartzeel amp, I'd hardly say they are an "unserious" company...
"Disappointing" is the word I would use overall to describe the darTZeel's measurements.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/dartzeel-cth-8550-integrated-amplifier-measurements

By the way, I have listened to DartZeel.

Disappointing is the word describing tube gear's measurements, too.

Warren_Buff

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:18 pm »
I'm very thankful I came across his site and consider my current system better because of it.
:thumb:

Warren_Buff

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:24 pm »
This article is worth reading:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Roger Russell was Director of Acoustic Research at McIntosh.
http://www.roger-russell.com/

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:12 pm »
DartZeel is not the best from Switzerland. That's my opinion.  :D

SHV

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jan 2012, 12:21 am »
This article is worth reading:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Roger Russell was Director of Acoustic Research at McIntosh.
http://www.roger-russell.com/

Good article, which I have read in the past.  Stereo Review had believable reviews in the 60s and 70s.  I think that the Bose vs Consumer Union law suit in the early 70s had an effect on "real reviews", as in "why tell the truth, loose ad dollars and face a possible law suit."  Now, it seems,  the major qualification for audio reviewers is the ability to write infinite variations on the theme: "The Emperor's New Clothes".  :>)

Steve

Steve

Mookalafalas

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2013, 01:38 pm »
Peter Aczel was discredited long ago. Got caught giving an excellent speaker review to a company he had a monetary interest in.

Doc

I don't think it's "got caught" if you didn't hide the fact.

The guy pushed for "ABX" testing--that is, reviewers should review audio equipment blind, without knowing its name or cost, and see if they could really distinguish the delicate nuance they thought they could here when they new it was a new 10K speaker.   Certainly big audio wanted to discredit him--the argument was (is) that scientific methods are inappropriate for audio testing.

PRELUDE

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2013, 10:22 pm »
DartZeel is not the best from Switzerland. That's my opinion.  :D
+1 :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2013, 10:29 pm »
"Disappointing" is the word I would use overall to describe the darTZeel's measurements.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/dartzeel-cth-8550-integrated-amplifier-measurements

By the way, I have listened to DartZeel.

Disappointing is the word describing tube gear's measurements, too.
I heard it few times in different countries in different shows.
I would sell it if someone would give it to me for free.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #29 on: 1 May 2013, 11:35 pm »
I don't think it's "got caught" if you didn't hide the fact.

The guy pushed for "ABX" testing--that is, reviewers should review audio equipment blind, without knowing its name or cost, and see if they could really distinguish the delicate nuance they thought they could here when they new it was a new 10K speaker.   Certainly big audio wanted to discredit him--the argument was (is) that scientific methods are inappropriate for audio testing.

First post defending Aczel? You have no idea how funny that is. And btw, you're wrong, he was trying to hide the fact. Take some time and do the research.

Doc

s4s4s4

« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2013, 01:32 am »
There is no absolute right or wrong, but I would say Peter was more right than wrong. I don't think there is another industry with more BS than the one I love, High End Audio.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2013, 01:04 pm by s4s4s4 »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2013, 12:24 pm »
Peter is getting rather old for an audio reviewer, he just turned 87 or 89. He only does about one review a year.

This is a Bryston review from 7 years ago, it's hard to find fault with the review.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=21&blogId=1

geowak

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2013, 04:39 pm »
If it's not The Audiocritic it's some other magazine or author (writer) that we read and believe the "hype". I mean it takes some experience to pause a moment and ask if the ABC amp is really that good? We are often like kids in a candy store crying out "my speakers are better than yours"!

I think it's always wise to see these crazy expensive boxes of wires more objectively....
they don't always sound that good....

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #33 on: 3 May 2013, 01:18 am »
If it's not The Audiocritic it's some other magazine or author (writer) that we read and believe the "hype". I mean it takes some experience to pause a moment and ask if the ABC amp is really that good? We are often like kids in a candy store crying out "my speakers are better than yours"!

I think it's always wise to see these crazy expensive boxes of wires more objectively....
they don't always sound that good....

Actually, mine sound pretty good... :green:

D.D.