« on: 26 May 2019, 07:06 pm »
Looking at aftermarket cords.
The IFI IDSD has a 3.5 connection
but my stereo is 1/4. Should I stick
With 3.5 and use adapter or 1/4 with
a reducer?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Go big or go small?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2019, 10:35 pm »
Bigger mass connectors spend more energy to signal flow to the other end.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2019, 12:45 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2019, 02:17 am »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2019, 11:51 am »
Hello,

I have always tried to reduce the number of mechancial connections in circuits and hi-fi stuff....when it comes to the many hi-fi adapters out there some are good and some are not so good. Mostly in that the tolerances of various plugs seem to vary and may or not fit into an adpater or reducer very well.

I recently got an headphone amp from a company that included a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter. The company is very well known. The adapter looks great but when using it the connection was intermittent and not solid...causing much angst!

Personally I would try both and see what the results are

Alex

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2019, 12:39 pm »
Hi Don
Since the iFi is portable I would use a cord with 3.5mm plug on it, to keep the portable rig lighter and less clunky. Then add the heavy brass 1/4" adapter when plugged into the stereo, or leave the adapter plugged into the stereo so I wouldn't lose it!  :lol:   
My older AKG K701 cord is opposite, with a 1/4" plug "for professional use"  :roll:  so I have to use the adapter with my portable. No biggie. Clean the adapter connections once in a while to avoid clicking, etc
Rich

dflee

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2019, 07:18 pm »
You guys are the best. Great to hear from you Rich.
Thanks for the comments and support.

Don

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2019, 08:53 pm »
Personally I use an adapter, which is permanently left in my headphone amp. My headphones are all terminated with 3.5mm jacks.
I use the Furutech Rhodium 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.