***X-LS Extravaganza***

uncola

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #60 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:02 pm »
that flat pack looks amazing.  I wasn't even interested in the encore x-ls but the flat pack almost makes me want it

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #61 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:04 pm »
Of course, everybody needs some spare gear around. You know...just in case there's a speaker emergency.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:25 pm »

Of course, everybody needs some spare gear around. You know...just in case there's a speaker emergency.

:green: :lol:

JTF

« Reply #63 on: 15 Nov 2019, 06:29 pm »
Hiya Jon, welcome aboard the (maybe my) obsession train.

I boarded the hifi train many years ago. I never had time to build anything until now, hopefully this is the first project of many.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #64 on: 3 Dec 2019, 04:37 am »
A question was asked on YouTube about cabinet edge radius. Here's a graphic cross section of corner to illustrate how one could cut as large as 3/4" radius and still have full 3/4" thickness at corner thus maintaining cabinet wall thickness and integrity. A minimum of 3/8" is ideal.  For reference the "Hot Rods" in this thread are 3/8", the "Magmas"  1/2". A 3/4" radius cutter is big honkin' thing. Probably best used in router table.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #65 on: 8 Dec 2019, 05:29 pm »
Y'all might find it hard to believe, but sometimes my mind wanders to things outside of the speaker world.

These for my grandsons.

uncola

« Reply #66 on: 8 Dec 2019, 07:03 pm »
joys of CNC router ownership hehe.  won't be long til people start begging you to make custom wooden amp faceplates

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #67 on: 8 Dec 2019, 07:54 pm »
joys of CNC router ownership hehe.  won't be long til people start begging you to make custom wooden amp faceplates

Indeed. I've been known to say, it's like having an auxiliary brain...

Captainhemo

« Reply #68 on: 9 Dec 2019, 05:35 pm »

If Peter is into doing them ,  I know  he'd do a masterful job.    If  he's busy    etc, there  is   this place  :
https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

I know there  are  folks   on this board who have  used them  with  good results

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #69 on: 10 Dec 2019, 10:55 pm »
Hi all. I have a dilemma and wondering if you could give me your thoughts on how you'd like to digest a big video, assuming you want to at all!

Without really keeping tabs on it, I've shot about 2.7 hrs. of video on veneering a pair of X-LS cabs. I think I could cut that down by 35-40% with editing and speeding through redundancies of second cabinet, but that's still  a whopper video. I could cut it in two, but would probably need to add a narration track and eliminate my rambling commentary, which I'm not looking forward too, mostly because I've never done it.

I'd appreciate your input. Huge video, do over, 2 or 3 installments? Something else? I'm kinda stumped...

Jmitchell3

« Reply #70 on: 11 Dec 2019, 12:04 am »
Hi all. I have a dilemma and wondering if you could give me your thoughts on how you'd like to digest a big video, assuming you want to at all!

Without really keeping tabs on it, I've shot about 2.7 hrs. of video on veneering a pair of X-LS cabs. I think I could cut that down by 35-40% with editing and speeding through redundancies of second cabinet, but that's still  a whopper video. I could cut it in two, but would probably need to add a narration track and eliminate my rambling commentary, which I'm not looking forward too, mostly because I've never done it.

I'd appreciate your input. Huge video, do over, 2 or 3 installments? Something else? I'm kinda stumped...

Break it up! Narrate like a pro! Learn a new skill! ;) and use your best David Attenborough impression!

uncola

« Reply #71 on: 11 Dec 2019, 06:26 am »
Definitely split it up.  Much easier to watch that way..  could just add necessary notes in the video description under the video

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #72 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:52 pm »
Against advise, I just posted an epic video on veneering. And that was the short one!

Some hard lessons learned like replace all mic  batteries every time, double check the mic is not muted(didn't even know that function existed until now).  I was ready to move past this one...I'll rethink strategy in the future.

https://youtu.be/pb5KiJmIWII

Moving on I'll do an out-of-the-ordinary finishing video. Something like the sample in photo. Ignoring what it is, imagine that what's red in the photo could be some other color. What does you mind's eye see? 

Speak up...really! I  can't promise anything,  but would love to entertain ideas.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #73 on: 20 Dec 2019, 12:22 am »
Indigo as the undertone could be striking. 

AlexH

« Reply #74 on: 20 Dec 2019, 02:18 pm »
Peter:

Nice Job on the veneering video. Its always nice to see what technique others use. Love the heat lock glue it works very well great recommendation.  :thumb:

RonP

« Reply #75 on: 21 Dec 2019, 05:17 pm »
Peter:

Nice Job on the veneering video.

I'll +1 this.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 22 Dec 2019, 11:15 pm »
I watched the short version of the video.

Peter,

I noticed you only put one coat of glue on the veneer and cabinet. The directions say to apply two, which I have always done, but is has seemed like overkill and makes trimming more difficult.

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #77 on: 23 Dec 2019, 06:39 am »
I watched the short version of the video.

Peter,

I noticed you only put one coat of glue on the veneer and cabinet. The directions say to apply two, which I have always done, but is has seemed like overkill and makes trimming more difficult.

Mike

I'm glad you lasted through the whole thing Mike, it's mighty long and I imagine all but the most tenacious leave the party early!

I double checked the instructions to see if I was way out of bounds. They're somewhat ambiguous and state "two or more coats of adhesive may need to be applied to the substrate if you use a paint brush or foam roller. However, a glue roller has a tendency to apply the adhesive a bit thicker".

I've also used two coats on the substrate,(which I interpret as the just the MDF), in the past and still might if surface was really porous, uneven or larger. In this case, the surface of Ranger MDF is really dense, smooth, dead flat and also relatively small. I judged a single coat was adequate by how it looked when applied and after drying. I don't have any reason to doubt the bond attained and assume the instructions are written in a cover-your-ass way. 

I'm generally not an advocate of the "more is better" way of thinking, and in this case more just thickens the glue line to no advantage. Using the glue roller and applying fairly heavy coat would seem to address concerns.

Anyway, that's my seat-of-the-pants evaluation. Perhaps I should qualify in future video.

rchoate

« Reply #78 on: 4 Jan 2020, 03:37 am »
Kudus on this video series Peter J!

JTF

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jan 2020, 03:06 am »
Peter, thanks for posting these, the veneering video went up just as I needed it and it's very helpful.

Jon