Slicing Iberico Jamon

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Slicing Iberico Jamon
« on: 21 Jun 2017, 03:12 pm »
I've got a ham coming for a party.  Any of the Culinary group have experience with slicing?  I've watch hours of YouTube learning what I can, but thought I'd see if any of the pro's here have something to add. 

Syrah

Re: Slicing Iberico Jamon
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2017, 07:25 pm »
I've been to parties where said Jamon is present, with a Spanish slicing person (I imagine the Spanish have a name for that position).  Let's just say I didn't move very far from the slicing station.  It is SOOH good!

Sorry that I can't help you with the technique though.  I suspect that an ultra sharp knife is the starting point.  This guy cut off pieces that were each an inch or two long, with the grain (as I'm sure you know).  He would plate them and drizzle them with olive oil when my mouth was not in the way.

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 10:21 pm »
I've been to parties where said Jamon is present, with a Spanish slicing person (I imagine the Spanish have a name for that position).  Let's just say I didn't move very far from the slicing station.  It is SOOH good!
Wow.  They had their own Maestro Cortador.  Damn, I wish I was richer.  I will just be me and several of my slightly inebriated buddies hacking away at the poor porcine.  Knives and sharpness won't be a problem.  Except for comparing against our Mr. Babcock, my knives are as sharp as anyone's, and I've massively overbuilt a holder to keep the jamon steady. 

pconley2

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:33 am »
I spent two weeks in the south of spain last month and watched much Jamon being surgically removed and while they made it look easy, I doubt that it is.  clearly the knives are very sharp, but I suspect the real trick to the thinness of the slice is going in horizontally.  In your picture you can see that they cut into the jamon and maintain the level.  Also, it is extremely expensive, so they want it to be thin, since you have a great deal, and probably will have some left over, perhaps you don't have to be so surgical.

In any case, a great deal of envy is being sent your way from california----enjoy

Phil

Syrah

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:56 am »
Indeed.  That look amazing.  I now have the name of my retirement job - Maestro Cortador.  My friends will just call me Maestro.

I bought a mini Jamon, complete with mini holder (go on, what's that called in Spanish?) and was surprised at how difficult it is to get the angle just right to lob off a perfect piece each time.

Enjoy.  I hope you have some nice Spanish reds or maybe a Fino Sherry?

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2017, 02:02 am »

Enjoy.  I hope you have some nice Spanish reds or maybe a Fino Sherry?
Both  :D.  I'll have supply on hand.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 03:15 am by S Clark »