Jriver

WarmColors

Jriver
« on: 4 Dec 2020, 02:56 am »
Hi all,

Anybody here used Jriver for DSD listening? Currently I own a Stellar Gain Cell from PS Audio. It's a great DAC but I was really hoping to maybe purchase the perfect-wave which does DSD but through i2s HDMI. The thought of purchasing a $6000 product is way to much for me to swallow today and even 10 years from now.

I have two options, sell my SGC (which you can DM me, still under warranty) or if any of you know how to listen to DSD via DoP using jriver?

Thank you,

Mike B.

Re: Jriver
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2020, 04:51 am »
You need a dac that will handle dsd. Jriver is a media library software program. It has the option to raise the sample rate to several DSD levels if the dac is able to play it.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2020, 05:30 am »
JRiver will natively play DSD, set the Output Format to the highest sample rate supported by your hardware, mine is 24/96.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD#Bitstreaming

WarmColors

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2020, 12:04 pm »
Sorry for the miss understanding. My concern is, besides the HDMI can I use the usb interface to play DSD files? Or only play DSD through hdmi? I understand the CEO claims that the hdmi interface is the best way in their eyes to listen to DSD raw. To me it sounds that I can use USB or toslink to play DSD and I'm not limited to just HDMI.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2020, 12:45 pm »
I only use USB. HAL MS-2 computer to Bricasti dac. Everything up to DSD. Don't see any need to go HDMI.

WarmColors

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2020, 01:37 pm »
I only use USB. HAL MS-2 computer to Bricasti dac. Everything up to DSD. Don't see any need to go HDMI.

Thank you, I will download jriver and play with the settings. Thanks again.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2020, 02:41 pm »
I have used J River with the Stellar Gain Cell DAC for a couple years. It plays DSD files via USB just fine once you get the settings right. I still use JRiver some but prefer ROON most of the time.

You can pick up a DirectStream Sr DAC with or without the network bridge on the used market for about 1/2 price. I got a DirectStream Sr. with the bridge for $3,500. You can also find a DirectStream DAC Jr. used for around $2,500. The Jr has the network bridge built in.

Rock Ball

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2020, 03:37 pm »
I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion about higher rate DSD files, but I just want to point out that the PS Audio DirectStream DAC only plays up to DSD128.  If you think you'd ever want to experiment with DSD256 or DSD512, then you might consider this.

I've used both JRiver and Roon for native DSD playback.  I now use Roon running ROCK on an Intel NUC.  JRiver has a similar product called an Id.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2020, 03:58 pm »
I have a DSD 256 album in my library. Roon automatically adjusts the sample rate to match the DAC’s capability. JRiver also plays it but getting the settings right is the key.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2020, 04:12 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167525.0

For some reason my post did not go through. Here is a dedicated puter for audio. Much less dinero than a "server" sold these days. No bells. No whistles.

WarmColors

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2020, 01:14 am »
I have used J River with the Stellar Gain Cell DAC for a couple years. It plays DSD files via USB just fine once you get the settings right. I still use JRiver some but prefer ROON most of the time.

You can pick up a DirectStream Sr DAC with or without the network bridge on the used market for about 1/2 price. I got a DirectStream Sr. with the bridge for $3,500. You can also find a DirectStream DAC Jr. used for around $2,500. The Jr has the network bridge built in.

Two people are recommending Roon. Is there a free trial version of it?  Why do both of you prefer Roon?
mlundy- I have seen on videos that we have the ability to change the settings on jriver for the output of the signal (usb, toslink) Can I change it to HDMI and hook it up to my SGC via it's HDMI input?
This is my first time with DSD, I really am curious if I will be able to notice a difference with PCM and DSD.

WarmColors

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2020, 01:24 am »

Also do you have Roon nucleus? this is an optional purchase besides the subscription right? Before I decided to purchase Danny's kits, and build my system, I read that though most people use their personal computers as a source it is technically not ideal because of the 5v usb provides and all the noises a computer produces.
It seems like the Roon nucleus is a dedicated "computer" for music.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2020, 01:46 am »
Warmcolors,
The HDMI connector on the PS Audio DAC is an I2S Bus interface for audio only, not the video HDMI interface.  That interface is almost exclusive to PS Audio digital components.  It does support DSD over I2S Bus.

The USB bus is compatible with DSD playback for both DSD64 and DSD128 files.  It is a Native DSD interface. 

JRiver does support DSD as stated earlier. 

After you sign up for Roon, there is a demo period.  After that it costs about $500.

Good luck with your decision.

WarmColors

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2020, 01:51 am »
Warmcolors,
The HDMI connector on the PS Audio DAC is an I2S Bus interface for audio only, not the video HDMI interface.  That interface is almost exclusive to PS Audio digital components.  It does support DSD over I2S Bus.

The USB bus is compatible with DSD playback for both DSD64 and DSD128 files.  It is a Native DSD interface. 

JRiver does support DSD as stated earlier. 

After you sign up for Roon, there is a demo period.  After that it costs about $500.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for the info.
I do know the HDMI on my SGC is only for audio. I am just curious if I can hook up my HDMI output from my PC or if I were to purchase the nucleus if it's able to transfer higher bit DSD through HDMI and work just fine with PS Audio?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:01 am »
The HDMI connector on the DAC is not wired as an HDMI video interface, but a different interface called I2S Bus which are not compatible.  The DAC will not work with the NUC HDMI connector as it is a HDMI video interface. The NUC should supports USB audio to the DAC.

sebrof

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:22 am »
I just started my Roon trail. I've been enjoying it along wioth Tidal and Qobuz trials.

Roon is $9.99/month if billed annually, $12.99/month if billed monthly, or $699.99 lifetime subscription

WarmColors

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:33 am »
Ok thanks for the info regarding the HDMI. I will just stick to USB.
As soon as I get the drivers for the studio I will build my system and try the free trial version for roon.
Taking a leap of faith If I will be blown away with danny's kit, and the system I have purchased.
I will try DSD and if its truly night and day I may just do the lifetime subscription. The nucleus from roon is way too expensive, I will just stick to my PC as the source.

Another question.
Do I have to purchase music that's DSD or can roon covert my music already on my library as DSD?

tom739

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2020, 04:18 am »
I use Roon, and really like it. Great interface and works great. I use a dedicated laptop. I don't use the laptop for anything else. This laptop runs 2 systems, or "zones" as Roon calls them. One is my office system, with a USB from the laptop to my DAC. The second systems connects over my LAN to an ultraRendu > USB > DAC.  To lower the noise that may come from a direct attached USB from PC, I use the iFi iPurifier3.

I don't up sample anything. I prefer NOS, (no over sample), and use a R to R ladder dac. The second system has a delta sigma dac. I have files at 44/16, 44/24, 96/24, 192/24, and one DSD file. They all work through Roon and through my dacs.

tom739

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2020, 04:26 am »
Wanted to add...
Roon can convert DSD to PCM, or it can play DSD over PCM, (DoP), encapsulation.

WarmColors

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2020, 02:27 pm »
I was doing a little more research and came across this.
Ideon Audio 3R USB. It cleans up the power and reclocks the data from source and than sends it out to the DAC. Has anybody used this device?