Is Mountain Biking dead, or dying?

jackman

Is Mountain Biking dead, or dying?
« on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:50 pm »
Hey Guys,
I love mountain biking and this is not a slam on off road riding but I've been hitting lots of shops lately, helping a friend find a bike and testing road bikes myself and it's amazing how small the MTB section has become at local shops. 

At one time, fifteen years ago, MTB"s dominated local shops around here.  Road bikes seemed to gather dust in the corner of many local shops.  There were lots of local trails and all of my friends rode mountain bikes.  Over the years there has been a major shift to road bikes.  I was in a couple shops in the city (Chicago) recently, and there were very few MTB's versus previous years.

Years ago, there were lots of good trails to ride, even around here.  Many of the trails have been shut down and others were "improved" or ruined by being widened and paced with limestone or blacktop. You don't need a mtb to ride those types of trails and you can't even go fast because they are packed with old ladies, children and other hybrid riders. 

My initial question was not geared towards you guys who live in BC or in rural or mountianous areas. MTB riding probably still strong there but it appears to be dead or dying in the Midwest. 

What do you guys think?

AB

Re: Is Mountain Biking dead, or dying?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2012, 05:47 pm »
I live in Colorado and mtn biking is not dying here. Not at all. Nope, not even close. Just the opposite, I would say.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2012, 06:11 pm »
I was riding in MI for 2 weeks last month and more riders than ever, almost all on 29'ers too.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2012, 08:45 pm »
Personally, I've given up on mountain biking, as here in CT, I have to drive a while to get anywhere worthwhile to go.  You add packing time, the time to drive both ways, and unpacking time, and I could be done with a road bike ride just for that time.  On the other hand, mountain biking takes a lot more technique and is more fun and you don't have to worry about cars.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2012, 06:14 am »
I'd say absolutely not up here in Ontario...very strong contingent (and growing, also growing number of trails), but probably 4:1 roadies to mtb'ers as ontario is getting more and more bike friendly with special lanes and such.

I was in the bike shop (Duke's in downtown Toronto, which is a huge Cervelo/BMC/Cannondale shop and Santa Cruz and another which I won't name for MTBs) and was staring at a bike in amazement, while the floor model of the bike I am ordering was being tuned up for a test ride, when one of the bike shop employees came over and asked if I needed any help or had questions.  I said, "yeah, is that $3K cannondale carbon hybrid for real?"  He laughed and said, "yeah sounds like the beginning of a joke." 

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:08 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm happy to hear mountain biking is still alive and kicking. It made me sad to see how small the MTB section had become in local shops. In cities, lots of young people who rode MTB's years ago seem to be on Fixies and cross bikes. Around my neighborhood, the lack of good trails has hurt MTB riding.  MUP trails are boring for young people and you don't need a MTB to ride crushed limestone trails anyway.  It's a shame because I used to love riding  some of the local trails. my son will never know what that is like.

Josh, $3k CF hybrid???  That is a hoot!  Please ask them if it comes with aero bars and Zipp 808's.  I would love to see some joker riding that bike on the MUP in full kit and aero helmet. 

Good luck with the new build. I'm waiting enthusiastically for you to reveal which bike you decided to get.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2012, 09:58 pm »
Yeah, a $3k CF hybrid just killed me... I couldn't get over it.   I was thinking of a dude locking it up at the plethora of bike locks in TO.  That wouldn't stay there long!   

I can only imagine it is meant for a commuter (which we have plenty) or a someone injured who has limited flexibility but likes to ride a lot or a weekend warrior who likes to show off. 

I am sure you could probably guess the bike I ordered, but you might not guess what makes it special/different.   Then again you might. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm »
I live in Colorado and mtn biking is not dying here. Not at all. Nope, not even close. Just the opposite, I would say.

Agreed. We also have Winter Park running a beginner friendly mt bike park which is getting a lot of people into DH riding.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:50 pm »
Josh- I'm excited for you and wouldn't blow the surprise even if I could.  I won't guess and look forward to hearing about your new bike.

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:50 pm »
Personally, I've given up on mountain biking, as here in CT, I have to drive a while to get anywhere worthwhile to go.  You add packing time, the time to drive both ways, and unpacking time, and I could be done with a road bike ride just for that time.  On the other hand, mountain biking takes a lot more technique and is more fun and you don't have to worry about cars.

Bob,

You're nuts. There are a ton of great trails close to your place. They might not be the most technically challenging rides but they would be very difficult to do with narrow road tires. Have you been to Steep Rock in Washington Depot? It's a really pretty spot worth checking out. Larkin state park, Southford Falls, Hubbard park and Castle Craig are some fun rides not too far from you.

Joe

AB

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm »
Agreed. We also have Winter Park running a beginner friendly mt bike park which is getting a lot of people into DH riding.

It's growing so much that a friend has asked me to dig out an old set of pads for him to try this week at the ski hill. He's forgotten to ask for the full face helmet but I'll bring it along anyway. He asked if I would go along but I won't go down what I haven't ridden up and he refuses to ride up so we're at an impasse. Plus I'm a wuss. He's a wuss too but apparently he hasn't broken anything recently. He'll have a chance to fix that this week. :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm »
I want to try lift access in a bad way!  I just have the dirt jumper/bmx/downhill spirit in me.   But I took up mtb'g for the fitness so I appreciate the challenge of the up too....but I'd love to do whistler.

getech

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm »
Yes, mountain biking died approximately 3-4 weeks ago.

Cheers!

Sam-fi

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm »
As someone in college I can tell you this is not the case. All things bicycle related are on an explosion. So I see mountain biking having a healthy future. It's even offered as classes around here and my friends and I long-board and bike all the time.

My 2-cents,
Sam

AB

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm »
Yes, mountain biking died approximately 3-4 weeks ago.

Cheers!

It's not dead. It just swallowed a bug.
It should have had one of these...
http://www.bugmouthguards.com/

:o

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm »
I just think its a matter of demographics....we are an aging population... just take a look at the audiophile demographic, typically >50 (with plenty of exceptions, myself included).  I think the aging pop would prefer to road bike and not mountain bike....and the kiddies like to downhill, skate, snowboard and smoke up.... can't blame them

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:14 am »
It's growing so much that a friend has asked me to dig out an old set of pads for him to try this week at the ski hill. He's forgotten to ask for the full face helmet but I'll bring it along anyway. He asked if I would go along but I won't go down what I haven't ridden up and he refuses to ride up so we're at an impasse. Plus I'm a wuss. He's a wuss too but apparently he hasn't broken anything recently. He'll have a chance to fix that this week. :lol:

I'd recommend getting the full rental package, it's half price if you get someone with a season pass to go up to the counter with you. You get the lift ticket, all the pads and a nice Specialized DH bike for $60.

I understand the riding up part, and I trail ride a lot, but if you want to progress your bike skills there's no better way... I see a lot of serious xc racers who would be better served riding dh than doing more fitness training, the skills definitely carry over.

RPM123

« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:37 am »
Haven't noticed in the SF Bay Area...still plenty of Mtn. Bikes, bikers and trails!  :D

coke

« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm »
I've only been riding for about 5 or 6 years, but there seems to be an increase of people on the trails in Oklahoma / Arkansas.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2012, 01:10 pm »
I think it is changing dramatically.  I am 42, and spent a lot of time riding in the early 90's.  I even took a Kona to the Himalaya's in the fall of 1996.

I am currently building up another bike, but will likely stick to road training on it.  I will build up an mtb frame to do it though, since I like the geometry, and speed is not what I am after anyway.

Some of my friends still ride, and do it offroad.  They have transitioned to full suspension trail bikes (around $2000 and 28lbs) for their 2-3 rides weekly.  Not what I am looking to do anymore.