Sony 999ES Signture Mod by Modwight

Levi

« on: 30 Jan 2004, 09:45 pm »
As expected, the quality of the mod is excellent. Dan did an excellent job with my Sony 999es. His attention to fine details are evident here. The external powersupply is a neat idea. A transformer mounted on a black box with an XLR connector that attaches to the back of the unit. The supplied XLR cord is long enough to put the powersupply away from the source. Nice.  2 small tubes sticking out of the chassis, an indication that something different about this unit (see picture). The gold plated Modwright plates on top is a nice touch that I did not find in the previous basic truth mod. I really liked the tubes sticking out glowing.  My assmuption that led to say that it's sonic quality is as good as it looks!

Out of the box:
I listened to Suzzane Vega Retrospective album and by track 4, the tubes have warmed up. They are now are in full swing. The vocals started to sound natural as if she was in my living room! Then the wife wanted to watch movies so the 2ch session ended. So far so good.

Closer

Inside

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:08 pm »
Can't wait to hear it tomorrow!

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2004, 10:42 pm »
Man, That look's great. I didn't know dan had a external PS for these players.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2004, 02:20 am »
Quote from: PeteG
Man, That look's great. I didn't know dan had a external PS for these players.

Hi Peter,

External powersupply for the tubes.  The original still supplies power for the video and SACD.  The multi-channel opamps was further modified with Burr Brown chips.

Regards,
Levi

modwright

Thank you and More Info...
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2004, 06:14 pm »
Thanks Levi, I am glad that you are enjoying it.  I really look foward to what your friends thing at the Audio Society Meeting!

This unit DOES include an outboard power supply for the tubes.  We initially mounted the transformer from the back of the player, but I decided in the end that I would rather have it just be outboard.  This did increase the price slightly due to increased materials cost, etc., but I believe it was a good solution.

Some of our mods, including tube mods for the Denon 2900, have the tube supply mounted INTERNALLY.  We do use a toroidal transformer in that case however, and attention is paid to orientation, stray fields, etc.

As you can see, the tube stage is a PCB - based design that I have designed and had mfd. for us.  This allows us to keep the price down (relative to our Absolute Truth Mods at $2600+) while still achieving 95%+ of the performance.

Most of our tube mods to this point have used the 5687 tube. I am currently working with the 6H30 tube also and feel that it is a VERY worthwhile contender.  Due to voicing for specific units, some players will utilize the 5687 and others the 6H30.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Levi

Sony 999ES signature mod by ModWright
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2004, 06:48 am »
The New York Audiophile gathering was a success!  Our setup: Pair of VMPS speakers (@$11,000+), Blue Circle pre-amp (BC3 MKII Preamplifier), Spectron II power amp, Philips 1000 signature mod by ModWright, Sony 999ES signature mod by ModWright and Audience cabling.  

Everyone liked the Sony 999ES with two tubes sticking out.  It is clean and elegant.  They commended Dan for his work.  Everone seems to knew Dan for his good work and flexibility.  We just can't take our eyes of those glowing tubes!  

Comparing ModWrights' Philips 1000 and the Sony 999ES is like comparing apples to orange.  We all agreed that both players sounds awesome!  Clarity, soundstage (front-back, side-to-side, top-to-bottom), uncompressed dynamics,  and transparency are both similar.  The 999ES both Tito and I agreed to have "good rythm" and "palpable presence".  Michael said it sounded so f--- good!  Then again, it could be the alchohol talking.  

There is nothing to say bad about ModWrights' Sony 999ES or the setup used in this New York gathering which I think is really good.  We all enjoyed the music, the drinks and everyone's company.

I included pictures of the session for your enjoyment.

VMPS speakers owned by Rupesh.  This was held at his studio/home in New York.

There is actually six people here on the "sweet spot"

Blue Circle BC3 MKII Preamplifier (Tubes), Spectron II Amp and Sony 999ES.

Yes it is glowing!

Thanks Dan,
Levi

modwright

Great Pix!
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:55 pm »
I saved the last picture of the tubes close up and may use it on our site.  I hope you don't mind, it is just a GREAT picture - what camera are you using?!

I noticed that you didn't comment on the Philips?  I am just curious how it compared to the 999ES.  I AGREE that they are Apples and Oranges, with the 999ES being MUCH faster and possibly more detailed, with admittedly a more forward presentation.  They are sort of Yin and Yang I guess I would have to say.

I am curious what the concensus was however.

Tell Rup to call me :).  We still have to do business on some mods for his store.

Take care,

Dan

Levi

Sony 999ES Signature mod by ModWright
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2004, 08:32 pm »
Hi Dan,

I am glad you liked them.  The glowing tubes closeup are taken by an Olympus C4040 at 1/2s f/2.0 at 11.9mm iso200 (no flash).

I really liked the 999ES.  The Philips 1000 sounded smoother and slightly laid back.  
Here is the link to what everyone think of the gathering.  
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7919

Levi

Levi

Sony 999ES Signature
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2004, 04:06 am »
Nice touch Dan!  Looks really good in my living room.

modwright

You are welcome...
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2004, 08:33 pm »
You are very welcome Levi, thanks for showing off the unit at the Club Meeting!

Dan

Levi

Modwright 999ES
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2004, 02:44 am »
We are going to have another meeting this coming June and we are compairing modified CDps.  Phil has an Audience modded Pioneer against the Modwright 999ES w/tube output stage.

I will keep you posted.

Levi

Sony 999ES Signature mod by Modwright
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:26 pm »
Hi Dan,

Aside from umbilical cord and bybees upgrades.  Do you have anymore tricks up your sleeves for the 999ES?

Thanks Dan.

Levi

modwright

999ES
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2004, 04:42 pm »
It is funny that you should mention that :).

I have recently done a 999ES mod in which I included a 'Hot Rod' power supply, as used in our Absolute Truth Mods and in our new SWL 9.0 & PS 9.0 tube linestage design.

The design includes choke current regulation and discrete FET based voltage regulation.  This does require updating the tube circuit somewhat also.  I am happy to offer this update to existing 999ES Mods customers, for $200 + shipping.  I plan to increase the price of the 999ES Signature Mods and include this supply as standard now.

The price for 999ES Signature Mods will now be $1150 and will include this new power supply.

The results include better bass response, improved imaging, dynamics and overall musicality.

Thanks,

Dan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2004, 04:43 pm »
If I'm looking for "top of the line" performance, should I be saving my pennies for the Denon 5900 truth mods, or the Sony 999ES truth mods?

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2004, 05:38 pm »
Tyson,

We will be comparing some modded players at the next NY Audio Rave.  Ufortunately, no modded Denon, but we will have other modded players, a resolution audio cd player, and, perhaps, the estimable Dodson dac.  Keep your eyes peeled for posts.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10658

Michael

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2004, 06:01 pm »
Dan,
How does the hot rod power supply Sony 999 compare to the Denon 2900 with tube output?
Earlier, you mentioned the Denon was the clearer more detailed player, does that still hold true?
Thanks,
Bill

Levi

Not fair comparison
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2004, 07:51 pm »
In my opinion, I don't think this would be fair comparison.  It is like stating that the 999ES has 14bit 108mhz video dac whereas the 2900 has 12bit 108mhz dac.  One would say that the sony gives more resolution or does it?  To which eyes?  In your case, Dan's ear?  When you get the mod then it would be your ears.   :D  

One would spend over $1k to beat the 999ES which brings the price of the Denon 2900 to over $2k whereas the Sony 999ES now starts at $800.  

It looks like the Denon 2900 is in a different price point but not the same performance.  The sony 999ES which is $800 + mods = better value and great Video :idea:

Just my 2cents.

Levi

Quote from: mr_bill
Dan,
How does the hot rod power supply Sony 999 compare to the Denon 2900 with tube output?
Earlier, you mentioned the Denon was the clearer more detailed player, does that still hold true?
Thanks,
Bill

BikeWNC

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2004, 01:13 am »
Levi,

I don't understand your math.  The Denon 2900 can be found for under $800 new.  So each player is at the same pricepoint before mods.  Am I missing something here?  Fully modded, the cost of the Denon is around $2600.  Isn't the Sony around the same?

Andy

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2004, 01:42 am »
Hello Andy,

I would like to know where can you buy the Denon 2900 for $800.00

Thanks,
Levi

BikeWNC

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2004, 01:57 am »
I bought mine for $750.  Check out these stores on this yahoo search

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AljbNxbC0ssz9srG8Q16xOwEgFoB;_ylu=X3oDMTBtNTA5a3RqBF9zAzE0NDg5MTE1BHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?is=1&p=denon+2900&did=

Are you sure your not thinking about the 5900?  That would be a lot more.

Andy