Help Troubleshooting

SoCalWJS

Help Troubleshooting
« on: 17 Aug 2018, 10:12 pm »
Not sure if this will work, but here goes.

Developed static in one channel over night. Everything was fine last night, but static in one channel this morning. I feel like I've tried all of the basics, but still having the same problem. I have swapped out cables and swapped channels for every step of the chain: Speaker wires, RCA's. Occurs out of both sets of outputs from the back of my LS100

Source is ModWright Oppo 205

If I swap the RCA's at the back of the LS100, it changes channels (from right channel to left channel) To me that means the problem is in the Pre or before the Pre. I swapped the inputs (from "CD" to "DVD") and the problems is still there. If I swap the CD RCA'S for L/R, the problem remains in the same channel, so it is not the source.

I even swapped out the Tubes - same problem  :banghead:

Is there a chance that there is a "dirty" switch somewhere that is only effecting one channel? The problem is aggravated when I turn the volume up, but it can remain when I turn the volume back down, just at a reduced volume. Would a "dirty" volume switch only effect 1 channel?

Am I missing something?

:scratch:

SoCalWJS

Re: Help Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:08 pm »
Well, I think I know what the problem is (thanks to a suggestion via PM.)

It looks like in all my cable swapping and experimenting, I DID NOT remember to swap the Left and Right RCA's between the MW Oppo 205 and the LS100.  :oops:

Hooking up an old CD player took care of the issue, so it appears to be a problem with the 205   :(

I tried swapping the tubes, just in case it was one of them starting to go bad, but the problem remained in the same channel. I tried different cables and different inputs on the LS100. Still there.

Anything anybody can think of?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:51 pm »
You should call Modwright today. They are always glad to help.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2018, 02:17 pm »
You should call Modwright today. They are always glad to help.
Definitely planning on it. Always been happy with MW response, Great Customer Service.