RCA Loading Resistors - Where to buy?

GregC

RCA Loading Resistors - Where to buy?
« on: 2 Mar 2017, 08:12 pm »
I was wondering where I can buy a high quality pair of RCA loading resistor plugs like what is sold with the Einstein's Turntables Choice.  I have a fixed 1000 Ohm gain so I would like to try a Y cable with parallel resistance.  I know DB systems sells a kit but I only need a 200 Ohm and 150 Ohm pair of resistors, not an entire kit.

bacobits1

Re: RCA Loading Resistors - Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2017, 10:31 pm »
You mean fixed 1k ohm resistance.
Make them up.
http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/wi.mpl?u=3771&f=Cart_Load.gif&w=668&h=607

I doubt you would hear a difference between 150 to 200 ohms.

GregC

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2017, 10:39 pm »
Thanks Bacobits that is what I was asking about without DIY.  I have a fixed 1000 Ohm load on my MC input and I was looking at the 200 or 150 plug in resistor to lower my impedance down closer to the 100 Ohms recommended for the cartridge. 

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm »
I thought Rothwell but they were not resistive loading.

Herron uses the same setup ask them?

Einstein uses RCA plugs loaded and labeled on the end as a cover.
No way to plug in to use.

Unless some one makes them for you as indicated with the "y" adapters.

« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2017, 01:55 am by bacobits1 »

bill92050

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2017, 09:16 am »
You can get what you're looking for from DB Systems. They have resistive loading plugs with Y-adapters. They'll even make custom resistors.  I have a set to adjust capacitance for MM cartridges and am satisfied with it. You'll find them in the Accessories section on the home page.

GregC

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2017, 08:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I was aware of Einstein plugs and DB Systems kit from my original post.  I looked at the resistors from DB systems, and from the pictures they looked to not be the best quality.  I could not find any place that sells the Einstein loading plugs (from online searches).  That is why I posted my question here.

I am using a Universe II cartridge and it has a 0.24 mv gain and 4 Ohms internal impedance.  The reason I asked about high quality resistors is I do not want to compromise its sound.

I have a phono board in my SST Ambrosia II preamp and it accepts either MM or MC inputs.  The MC section has a fixed load of 1000 Ohms.  The phono board sounds superb, and is performs well enough that I do not miss an expensive dedicated phono stage I sold.

I have a 1:20 Bobs Device SKY step up and it is a good match for voltage output with my Universe II, but the impedance is not ideal.  The ZYX sounds excellent in my MM input with the SKY 20, but for the money I have invested in my cartridge I was to hear its full potential.  That is why I considered loading plugs into either my MC or step up. 

I finally decided to get the ZYX CPP-1 pre-preamp that is optimized for a ZYX cartridge rather than messing around with resistors. 

If anyone has tried the DB Systems loading kit, did you find that it was transparent and quiet in your setup?

AvFan

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2017, 03:57 pm »
You can make your own parallel load plugs using these RCA plugs  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Phono-Speaker-Wire-cable-to-Audio-male-RCA-Connector-Adapter-Jack-Plug-LED-/282314829396?hash=item41bb466e54:g:NIgAAOSw6oBXEkic and purchasing a Y adapter and resistors at Radio Shack.  The cool thing about the plugs is no soldering is needed so it is quick and easy to try out a variety of resistors/loads.  Of course you might want to get higher quality resistors and Y adapters than Radio Shack offers for a final load plugs but for little money you will be able to easily test a variety of loads.

GregC

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:39 pm »
You can make your own parallel load plugs using these RCA plugs  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Phono-Speaker-Wire-cable-to-Audio-male-RCA-Connector-Adapter-Jack-Plug-LED-/282314829396?hash=item41bb466e54:g:NIgAAOSw6oBXEkic and purchasing a Y adapter and resistors at Radio Shack.  The cool thing about the plugs is no soldering is needed so it is quick and easy to try out a variety of resistors/loads.  Of course you might want to get higher quality resistors and Y adapters than Radio Shack offers for a final load plugs but for little money you will be able to easily test a variety of loads.

Thanks for the link, I found those plugs as well and thought their simplicity in design would help to easily tweak and test different loads.  I would definitely want a better quality plug for the long term solution.  I plan to use Vampire Y adapters (which I already have) for adding the resistor plugs since I think that the vampires will have the least impact on the signal.  I decided to get a pair of custom made resistor plugs from DB Systems that will use Teflon RCA plugs and 133 Ohm 1 percent metal film resistors.  The reason I went with 133 Ohms is that it will be a single resistor per plug and multiple resistors do not need to be soldered in parallel for the resistor plug itself.  I am only invested in the pair of resistor plugs and if they do improve the sound I leave them out of the chain and stick with what I have.