First vinyl system

BillB

First vinyl system
« on: 16 Oct 2016, 10:59 pm »
A couple weeks ago I decided I wanted a turntable. I did some research and decided on the u-turn orbit with acrylic platter.

I found a used bugle 2.on audiogon and have been rocking since Tuesday.

The rest of the system is onix rocket 760s and a Yamaha receiver.

I plan on upgrading to tekton speakers and decware set amps in the future.

The whole family has been enjoying records and everyday I come home and find my 13yo daughter playing something.

Folsom

Re: First vinyl system
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm »
They really are fun, aren't they? Wait till she finds the local record shop!

BillB

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2016, 11:43 pm »
She already has! She has a variety of classical, new age, and rock.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2016, 12:17 am »
I recommend some sort of record cleaner next. It'll keep it all going longer and sounding better. The GEM Dandy is a decent one that's not expensive, and then there's some vacuum systems. If you're will to DIY you can make an ultrasonic. Just a thought, as it's easy to upgrade other stuff and leave that out.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2016, 12:29 am »
Cool  :thumb:  Buckets of fun for old & young alike.  :D

tdogzthmn

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm »
Does your Orbit come with the newer OA2 tonearm?  I believe they made the change sometime in October and have been shipped them ever since.  I recently ordered mine to have as a spare or backup TT along with my Technics 1210.  I'm actually pretty excited to play with it and hear it with my system.

BillB

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:52 am »
Mine did not, I was a week off.

I recently traded for a tecnics sl-q2 with ortofon bronze cartridge.

BillB

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:54 am »
The new rig

WireNut

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2017, 01:23 am »
I recommend some sort of record cleaner next. It'll keep it all going longer and sounding better. The GEM Dandy is a decent one that's not expensive, and then there's some vacuum systems. If you're will to DIY you can make an ultrasonic. Just a thought, as it's easy to upgrade other stuff and leave that out.

Hi Folsom.

I learned something here  :thumb: Thanks for the info on the GEM Dandy. I've never heard of it before. A little cumbersome maybe, but it makes more since then the spin clean. 

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:33 am »
Spin cleans don't seem to do anymore than my mofi brush with some alcohol/glycol mix...

I'm like ---- that close to doing up an ultrasonic setup, maybe once Galush starts selling parts :lol:

Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:34 am »
Hi Folsom.

I learned something here  :thumb: Thanks for the info on the GEM Dandy. I've never heard of it before. A little cumbersome maybe, but it makes more since then the spin clean.

I have the GEM Dandy and it is excellent, but have gone to this one. It's a lot less messy and is about $115 USD. You supply the vacuum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2017, 02:38 am »
Jeff, I've been trying to figure out what vacuum system I'd follow the sonic clean with. That one is what I've been looking at but I like the setup in the video a lot more than on the website, it seems simpler. The MKIII looks, well, awesome.

How would you compare the results?

Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2017, 10:41 pm »
Jeff, I've been trying to figure out what vacuum system I'd follow the sonic clean with. That one is what I've been looking at but I like the setup in the video a lot more than on the website, it seems simpler. The MKIII looks, well, awesome.

How would you compare the results?

I'm not sure if understand the question with regard to the "setup in the video" vs the "one on the website". The links I posted are both for the MKIII, because the link to the video on squeakyclean didn't work for me.

Anyway, I've all but stopped using the GEM Dandy. The MKIII works like a charm and I use a much milder cleaning solution for equal or better results. If I were trying to clean up a really gross lp with mold and mildew, the GEM would be the first step.

I don't see how the MKIII gives up anything to more expensive vacuum machines, and I like the ability to control rotation, direction and suction by hand. Totally happy with the purchase.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2017, 10:45 pm »
The website doesn't have the MKIII info except a tiny bit on the first page. It needs updated.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:53 pm »
Vinyl is fun.  We audiophiles sometimes get lost in a tree and forget to see the forest.  Never mind the minutia of sound quality debates.  The wholesome analog sound is a blast to those of us who find it endearing.  My 14 year daughter likes her 21 Pilots better on vinyl than though her phone.  Frankly I don't think the mastering was all that great on the album but it's the format.  Something about the vinyl makes it better.  :thumb: