Aspen VSonics Transmission Line Speakers

SuperMart

Aspen VSonics Transmission Line Speakers
« on: 12 Dec 2008, 07:01 am »
I have reluctantly left my listening seat to hit a few key strokes concerning Aspen's latest addition to the fleet, the VSonics.

I first heard a prototype of the VSonics when bow and arrows were on the secret list, well, more than a year ago!  I ordered a pair on the spot to replace my trusty AKSonics.

I took delivery of the first production pair about a month ago.  I complained to Hugh that they were not the same as the prototypes, no Siree - these new ones were even better!  In the intervening month, Laurie Menogue (aka 'Tliner' and the designer of the VSonics) had been incessantly tinkering with the crossover.  If you would like, dear reader, to have a look at photos of me, Laurie and my speaker you will find them at the Aspen web site. 

Before we get to the review proper I'd best tell you what my associated equipment comprises.  Source is an SB2 modded to near Statement Level by Wayne of Bolder Cables and it includes his recent separate regulator for the digital power supply - a nice improvement by the way - it definitely reduces the noise floor, uncovering superior resolution.  The power supply for the SB2 is the Aspen Hologram.  I am running the analogue output of the SB2 into a Burson Buffer, and then to an Aspen Soraya Mark II power amp.  Interconnects are Grover's latest and power cords are Back Sands.  Speaker cables are Greg Straley Reality, and power conditioning is handled by an Australian designed Thor pS10 Power Station (essentially a voltage regulator and filter) feeding a PS Audio Duet Filter.  I live in a business precinct, with fairly dirty mains power (240Vac in Oz), and the Thor was a very recent addition which along with the PS Audio Duet completely eliminated a highly variable sound quality which seemed to change at whim and was extremely frustrating.  The Thor sits immovably at 240Vac, never varying at all, and has lowered the noise floor very noticeably.  Sound quality is now much improved and completely consistent 24/7 - I wish I'd bought it years ago, as usual YMMV.

In the 70s I built a KEF based transmission line speaker published in the UK magazine 'HiFi Answers'.  It was quite a challenge with a lot of complex woodworking.  If you've ever heard a transmission line speaker you will know that one of its endearing qualities is the way that bass notes are reproduced.  Hugh likes to say the bass is 'placed, not played'.  For me it's a feeling that the bass is 'breathing' into the room.  Whatever, the result is a very relaxed bass yet curiously at the same time it remains very dynamic.  And 'dynamic' is a highly apt word for this speaker.  Regardless of the gain level the VSonics are ready and willing to perform across the entire audio range.  Increasing the volume simply increases the sound pressure, with no hint of distortion or reduction in clarity.  Even at low levels this speaker brings a 'heft' to the performance out of all proportion to the modest cabinet size, three feet tall, barely wider than the 8" driver, and 17" deep.

Another endearing quality is the complete absence of 'chestiness' on vocals, especially male voices.  I'm frightened to connect these speakers to my home theatre system as I suspect they would be ideal at reproducing clear dialogue as well as the excitement of 'bombs and choppers'.

Let’s see if I can tick the boxes for the VSonics. The soundfield brings to mind Phil Spector’s famous “Wall Of Sound”. It tends to occupy almost the entire width of my listening room with a depth that allows you to listen “into” arrangements and enjoy the layering of sound.

The standout performance aspects for me are the speed – especially noticeable on jazz piano and percussion – and the natural musicality.The VSonics seem to have the uncoloured delicacy of electrostatic panels coupled with the dynamic punch of a cone speaker.

Finally – my usual disclaimer. Hugh and I are great mates and early in the development of these speakers I lent my ears for a bit of component swapping in the crossovers. My ears are 60 years old and so all my suggestions were ignored.

A post script. I have just returned from the designer’s home where I heard a prototype of the woofer extender companion to the V Sonics.
Mein Gott! A Peerless 12 inch woofer in it’s own dedicated transmission line cabinet. A review is for another day dear readers………………….

Cheers,

Marty.

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2008, 07:48 pm by SuperMart »

DSK

Re: Aspen VSonics Transmission Line Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2008, 01:36 am »
Congratulations Marty. It sounds like your system is really "there" now with little left to tweak ... until Hugh comes out with something even better  aa

I haven't heard the fully tweaked Vsonics but was impressed with the earlier ones I heard, especially in the areas of detail, dynamics and leading edge attack. The top end sounded nicely open and extended too. Nice choice  :thumb:

SuperMart

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2008, 02:47 am »
Hi Darren,

Thanks mate. Yes my system is "there" but as we both know to our cost there is always "over there". And over there right now is the most musical sub that I've ever heard plus another astonishing box of tricks born of the fiendish mind of Herr Dean. I don't think I'm able to say more at this stage and given Hugh's military training I am aware that he knows more than one way to kill a person. In my case, cutting up my Senior's card in front of me would probably do the trick.

Cheers,

Sparkie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:28 am »
Hi Supermart,
I heard the Soraya powering the Vsonics and the new transmission line woofer this morning at Lauries. IMHO the Aspen system in one of the best I have ever heard in my 20 years in the hi fi game. And i haven't even heard the ground breaking new pre-amp. But the woofer has grunt and sheer power which seamlessly extends the bass of the Vsonics. No doofie stuff here at all, only an amazing new insight and experience into how the bottom end of music should be reproduced. I have demonstrated all sorts of speaker brands. I never thought or even noticed that the bottom end of music had such an important role in making the voice of a singer complete 'till now. I think that Laurie is on the money when he says that the music component is so clean that one is not distracted by unnatural sounds leaving you to concentrate on the singer.

Any how that's my bit.

Barry. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2008, 08:18 am »
Looking good there Marty.... :beer:

Thanks for you comments.....and.....happy listening.... :thumb:

SuperMart

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2008, 08:50 am »
Thanks Chris but I must admit my leaning style is based closely on yours. Hugh didn't have a beer in the fridge for me to hold that day - or any day come to think of it.

Hugh is what we like to call in Oz "A two pot screamer". He gets his kicks from coffee,chocolate and circuits.

Cheers,

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2008, 09:03 am »
The "casual look" fits you better Marty.... 8)

Enjoy. Are you going to add that sub you mentioned ?

SuperMart

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2008, 09:44 am »
I can't see myself................................. ... being able to resist.

But first I must answer the inquisitor's first question. She'll say "Why do you need three speakers?" And you know, that's a very good question.