ACI Force XL Subwoofer

denjo

ACI Force XL Subwoofer
« on: 8 Jan 2007, 11:32 am »
Hi Folks

I am pleased to submit my review of the ACI Force Sub which I posted on the ACI Circle earlier.

I have had the ACI Force XL in my system for past 6 months and feel that it has broken in and settled down very nicely.

BackgroundMy modest hifi system comprises the CIAudio D*200 monos for amplification, Bent TAP and McCormack ALD-1 Rev A Gold for preamplification, LG DVD player (transport) into Altmann Attraction or Paradisea DAC and speakers are Thiel CS2.4.

I always felt that the Thiels were slightly bass shy. They are fullrange speakers that accurately portray music, and are particularly good with defining highs and midrange (thus the view held by some that Thiels sound sharp, dry and clinical). Don’t get me wrong, the Thiels do have bass that plummets low and would be copasetic for most genres of music bar heavy rock or disco type. While the bass goes quite low, it lacks authority and assertiveness and this characteristic robs the music of much realism, scale and dynamism.

AimMy aim was to find a Sub that would seamlessly integrate with my 2-channel system, providing seismic support for hifi listening as first priority and enhancing home theatre experience as my second priority.

The Sub route was always at the back of my mind but since a brief fling with the REL Strata over a decade ago, I was hesitant to go down that road. Months went by as I tweaked with speaker placement, line conditioners and cables. The addition of the Hydra 6 was perhaps the biggest factor in giving me more bass but the overall LF was still below my expectations. Reluctantly, I decided to look for a Sub that had these characteristics: (1) reasonable price, (2) reliable, (3) solid warranty (4) ability to fine tune bass (5) audiophile quality, (6) look great, preferably blend with wooden floor and furniture.

I started with a visit to our local hifi centre (huge shopping centre with about 50 shops selling midfi to hifi to ultra hifi gear). REL’s new flagship (Storm) sounded better suited to home cinema, as did the Sunfire. They had tremendous oomph but after 30 minutes with each, I left with a splitting headache!

My internet forays led me to shorlist 3 candidates: the Hsu, SVS and ACI. Of course, without the benefit of auditioning any of these “virtual” Subs, I realized that I had to tread very carefully, read as many reliable testimonies as I could and finally, write to the manufacturer and ask as many questions as I can think of. The Hsu seemed to be riddled with reliability issues and I had nagging doubts that the Sub might be “Made in China”, which probably explains the QC issues. The SVS seemed more suited to home cinema which would be great for those who placed home cinema first and hifi second. While the designs were sleek and un-Sub looking, I felt the ultra modern design might stick like a sore thumb with my other furniture. That left me with ACI. AudioCircle gave me tremendous insight into the testimonies of ACI owners. I observed that many were happy with their purchases and even stuck on to the product when the time came to upgrade or replace. That was a very good start. ACI was also very well known for their 2-channel speakers, garnering critical acclaim for many of them. I felt assured. ACI’s passion in what they do can be gleaned from how much time and effort they spend testing the speakers in their premises (once a church) under real conditions. Passion for what they do is a sure sign of a great product! The price was “cheap”, considering the stratospheric price of the REL’s and Storm. I then exchanged a few emails with ACI and discovered that head honcho Mike Dzurko actually bothers to respond personally and came across as a genuinely sincere and knowledgeable person. I was expecting a lot of marketing hype and salesmanship but received none of that. Instead, I realized that I was exchanging emails with someone who was eager to help me achieve better musical enjoyment regardless of whether I purchased a sub from him. When he showed me a prototype photo of the new Force XL, I knew this Sub was my choice.  It looked gorgeous – more like a piece of furniture than a Sub!

When the Sub arrived I found that it was impeccably packed. I wasted no time setting it up which proved to be quite easy. The instruction manual is well written and easy to follow and a CD containing test tones is also provided. ACI recommended use of a SPL meter but not having one in hand, I relied on my ears. After a couple of months of adjustments, I think I have found the optimum settings. I found the Sub improved with cable swap and rubber footers (3M). With the Sub “ON” 24/7, the bass began to improve, exerting its subtle authority over all kinds of music but particularly so with Jazz. Bass lines are clean and easy to follow, not blurred or overhung. I remember watching “Saving Private Ryan” and being impressed with the beach scene assault – shells flew from right to left and exploded with solid thuds that shook my floor and rattled the glass. Wow, here I was with the Allied landing forces somewhere in Omaha beach, Normandy, ducking for cover! (BTW, when I am watching a movie the volume is cranked 10% up).

The real truth of how good the Force XL was came one day when I was switching some equipment. This required me to switch off the Sub for a while. When everything was in place I switched on everything except the Sub!! Sitting in my sweet spot, I was wondering what happened to my sound system – the music sounded thin, anemic and lifeless! It was only after a while that I realized the Sub was OFF!!

A good Sub must not call attention to itself, but its absence must be instantly felt!! The ACI Force XL has met all of my expectations and continues to amaze me with its self effacing way!

Anyone looking for a good audiophile Sub should seriously consider the ACI Force XL! It has been one of my best audio purchases that I have made in a long time. Needless to say, it will be a permanent fixture rather than a transient chattel! I cannot believe that my purchase of the Sub was like a pig in the poke but what I found was a jewel!

I wish Mike and all the wonderful team at ACI a great year ahead!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, the Force XL comes with a solid 5-year warranty!

I have found the following tweaks quite helpful: (1) Cardas caps for the unused RCA connectors (also helps to keep dust out!); (2) good Sub cables (I use Canare LV-77S which is inexpensive); (3) isolation support on the Sub base.

warnerwh

Re: ACI Force XL Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:49 am »
Thank you for the review!  I've read alot of good things about those subs and believe you were smart to go with them. A sub helps the overall presentation of music much more than I believe most people realize. This is true even if your speakers are supposed to be solid to 40hz.

Real bass has power and must be well defined. It must also have good transients and resolution. The entire musical experience depends on this imo.

One question: You refer to a shopping center with 50 shops selling midfi to ultra fi. Are all these shops audio? Thanks

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2007, 08:18 am »
Hi Warnerwh
The shopping center is called "The Adelphi" and almost all of the shops sell audio gear (about 90% of the shops at least).
Best Regards
Dennis

ajayrav

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2007, 12:45 pm »
Hi Warnerwh
The shopping center is called "The Adelphi" and almost all of the shops sell audio gear (about 90% of the shops at least).
Best Regards
Dennis

Ah, you live in Singapore then?  Wish we had a place like that here in the US.

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2007, 06:37 pm »
Great review, thanks

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2007, 12:40 am »

A good Sub must not call attention to itself, but its absence must be instantly felt!! The ACI Force XL has met all of my expectations and continues to amaze me with its self effacing way!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, the Force XL comes with a solid 5-year warranty!

I have found the following tweaks quite helpful: (1) Cardas caps for the unused RCA connectors (also helps to keep dust out!); (2) good Sub cables (I use Canare LV-77S which is inexpensive); (3) isolation support on the Sub base.

Dennis:

A sincere thank you from all of us here at ACI for taking the time for such a thoughtful and complete write-up. You very much capture what we work to accomplish with our subs. You last statement which I've quoted VERY accurately sums up what I feel a subwoofer should accomplish . . .   Enjoy and all the best!