Speaker spikes and dramatic effect

Studio19atx

Speaker spikes and dramatic effect
« on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:35 pm »
I recently installed spikes (factory ones) for the B&W 802Ds. I was shocked how much it had affect on the bass. Initially I felt that the bass was almost all gone. But about 2 weeks of listening and trying out the speakers without the spikes I felt that bass had not vanished in fact had become tighter, less boomier and probably more accurate.

The flooring is carpet and the room is fairly open.

Is the tightening of the bass due to floor resonance or any other reasons.

Do you recommend other spikes or stands that you have shown improvement?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Speaker spikes and dramatic effect
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:39 pm »
is this a new pair of speakers ?  if so it could be the speakers are breaking in.
take a look at these.
http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/

a/b demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfp9jem7Hho&t=18s

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2018, 04:49 pm »
I've employed Sistrum-SP101 stands for my speakers for a while now. To my ears they seem to free up the sound from them, allowing them to sound more natural.

Edited: carpet covered basement concrete flooring, although I used these in my previous room which was wood over substrate above a crawl space.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2018, 06:50 pm by rockadanny »

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2018, 06:58 pm »
I've employed Sistrum-SP101 stands for my speakers for a while now. To my ears they seem to free up the sound from them, allowing them to sound more natural.

Don't let OSHA see them, they look like a tripping hazard ! Glad they help the sound though !

Studio19atx

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2018, 07:11 pm »
is this a new pair of speakers ?  if so it could be the speakers are breaking in.
take a look at these.
http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/

a/b demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfp9jem7Hho&t=18s

These are not new speakers and fully broken in. I just moved them to living area about a month or so ago. The speakers sounded like how I knew they sounded without the spikes, but with spikes they are completely different beasts. The lower bass is not boomy, very precise, and also does not interfere with mid bass.

Thanks for the link, I checked the products. It looks like they are primarily geared towards hard wood/tiles or thin carpet. What options are there for regular carpet. The spikes plant the speakers into carpet very firmly.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2018, 07:50 pm »
you would need 2 orders of the gaia 1's and 2 orders of the spikes.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_892GAIASP1/IsoAcoustics-GAIA-I-Carpet-Spikes.html

here's testimony from an 802d customer.
www.isoacoustics.com/product-feedback/gaia-i-customer-bw-802d-customer-feedback/

Studio19atx

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2018, 06:40 pm »
When posting about spikes, please specify floor substrate (OSB/plywood on wooden joists, concrete slab on grade, etc.).  Makes all the difference. 

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2018, 06:48 pm »
they look like a tripping hazard !
  :thumb:

They are!  :lol:  And I've been the victim a couple of times myself  :oops:
Fortunately no gear harmed, only my body.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2018, 03:17 pm »
I was just thinking that JLM would want to know...

When posting about spikes, please specify floor substrate (OSB/plywood on wooden joists, concrete slab on grade, etc.).  Makes all the difference.

Earlier in my audio journey spikes that had worked wonders in my suspended floor home didn't make much difference on a concrete slab floor.  But then all was well again when I moved back to suspended wood floors.  I couldn't make sense of this until there was Audio Circle.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2018, 03:29 pm »
I was just thinking that JLM would want to know...

Earlier in my audio journey spikes that had worked wonders in my suspended floor home didn't make much difference on a concrete slab floor.  But then all was well again when I moved back to suspended wood floors.  I couldn't make sense of this until there was Audio Circle.

I agree.  That is why it is important to specify the substrate under speakers.  Same goes for footers and equipment isolation on racks.

I find spikes only work on carpet over concrete if the spikes reach all the way to the concrete.  Many factory-supplied spikes fall short-literally. Some are too fat.  If the spikes reach concrete they are an improvement over no spikes in my experience. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2018, 08:42 pm »
I agree.  That is why it is important to specify the substrate under speakers.  Same goes for footers and equipment isolation on racks.

I find spikes only work on carpet over concrete if the spikes reach all the way to the concrete.  Many factory-supplied spikes fall short-literally. Some are too fat.  If the spikes reach concrete they are an improvement over no spikes in my experience.

The concept goes beyond plywood, OSB, and wooden joists/trusses.  The space underneath is also significant (insulation, drywall, and/or open to basement versus crawl space can all have an big effect).  Some crawl spaces for instance can behave like a giant resonator, so you wouldn't want to spike (mechanically couple) the speaker to that floor.