Vandersteen Surround sound

taam

Vandersteen Surround sound
« on: 3 Feb 2012, 07:16 pm »
I just wanted to thank you for making this circle and list the equipment I am using currently with my Vandy's.

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3A Signature speakers, phantom center, I have a pair of the 2Wq subs hooked up to the 3A's with the M5-HP crossovers, VSM-1 Surrounds.

I am using a Threshold Stasis 2 amplifier to power the main speakers.  I use an Audio Research SP-17L preamp.  I have a Pass Labs Aleph Ono phono preamp. 

My turntable is a SOTA Star in Cocobolo its a mixture of version 3 up to current.  Arm is SME 3009 SII. Cart is Cardas Myrtle Heart.

I use my system for both AV and Stereo.  I have a Oppo 80 Blu Ray player and a Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver, it powers my surround speakers.

Next will be either a center channel speaker VCC-5 or perhaps a new Oppo Blu if they come out with a new model soon.

I really am happy with my current system and do not plan on any major changes in the new future.

taam

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Vandersteen Surround sound
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:44 am »
taam, YW.

For a CC speaker, seriously consider the VCC-1 IF you're buying a CC speaker for articulation of movie dialog.  I've been thru MANY CC speakers over the decades including the hyper-expensive VonSchweikert Visiun, and the VCC-1 wins easily.  It's bandwidth-limited in the bass so male voices rarely sound too thick and bottom-of-the-barrelish, and if they still do, there's a wall-proximity switch that reduces the bass even more.  I wrote more here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96866.0 .

I'm 'saving my pennies' for an Oppo '95; I currently have and love an '83SE, and I KNOW the '95 will sound even better.   :wink:
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 09:14 pm by jeffreybehr »

taam

Re: Vandersteen Surround sound
« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:16 pm »
I had a VCC-1 in my system.  I did not notice that much a change over phantom.  I decided to get rid of the VCC-1 and are waiting to find a VCC-5 on the used market.  The VCC-1 helped make the dialogue clearer in spots other then my main listening position.  I rarely watch movies with other people so for me phantom works fine.

Taam