Lightning storm - dead plasma?

mcgsxr

Lightning storm - dead plasma?
« on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:05 am »
We had a pretty good storm come through last night, lots of local thunder and lightning.  No direct hits to the house, but several short power outages.

Now my 42 Plasma won't turn on - no click or anything when depressing the manual power switch.

Am I shopping for a new one, or just missing something simple?  All other devices plugged into that circuit function...

mcgsxr

Re: Lightning storm - dead plasma?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:28 am »
Check that, overanxious owner.

Tried the toaster in the plasma outlet - nothing.

Stretched an extension cord to the TV, it works fine.

I guess the outlet got toasted by the power fluctuations?  No breakers seem to be flipped.

I will have to investigate more, but at least folks can watch TV, even if the strung cord drives me nuts!

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:52 pm »
Did you check your breaker box?  Sometimes the wiring can be pretty goofy, with outlets being on different circuits than you would expect them to be.

Paul

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:10 pm »
I checked and visually none are tripped, but I might take the time to flip through them all prior to digging in to replace the outlet!

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:26 pm »
Breakers "seeming" to be tripped, and actually tripped are two different things. Did you physically make sure that all the breaker toggles are pushed towards the on position? Sometimes the breaker trips and at a glance the toggle looks to be un-tripped, but it is tripped.

Double check they are all over as far as they can go. If not, reset it.

Good luck.  :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:48 pm »
+1  You have to do more than just look.  A tripped breaker may look like it is on but actually it is in kind of limbo and will wiggle if you touch it. A breaker that is on will feel "locked".  If a breaker is tripped, you probably need to turn it all the way off before you can turn it back on.  At least that is the way my breakers work.  There are lots of different brands on the market. YBMV (Your Breakers May Vary).   :lol:  Glad your plasma is working.

Breakers "seeming" to be tripped, and actually tripped are two different things. Did you physically make sure that all the breaker toggles are pushed towards the on position? Sometimes the breaker trips and at a glance the toggle looks to be un-tripped, but it is tripped.

Double check they are all over as far as they can go. If not, reset it.

Good luck.  :thumb: