Hooking up two subs?

stlrman

Hooking up two subs?
« on: 2 Mar 2018, 09:06 pm »
I tried this yesterday with no luck . I could hear something coming out of my 8 inch sub but it was barely audible turned up all the way. The 12 inch Sounded fine I believe.

bought this:

Amp is Onkyo tx8050
Not sure what I’m doing wrong .
Thanks for any help!

John Casler

Re: Hooking up two subs?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2018, 09:34 pm »
You may need to go into the Set Up menu on the ONKYO and INCREASE the signal output to the SUB.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2018, 09:46 pm »
That's pretty inexpensive price. $1 per connector, so there's no QA, you might want to verify that the cables actually work by swapping the outputs to the subs.  If the outputs of a splitter have different signal levels then the splitter is defective. You can play a 40 Hz sine wave to measure the signal voltages of the outputs to verify.

If the two subs have very different input sensitivity you would have to adjust the subs' volume levels to compensate.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2018, 10:28 pm »
 +1 What richidoo said .  I just went through this - fortunately I have a mike and software to compare levels of each.  With 2 different brands of sub I had to really crank 1 up and 1 down. But I must say, movies now rock more than ever.

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:25 am »
Thanks gentlemen!! I think the splitter is fine as the one 12 inch sub was fine , and the wire itself looks to be of great quality actually .
Weird , the 8 inch sub was barely audible.
I am really horrible at AV stuff .  :duh:

jmdesignz2

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2018, 10:16 pm »
interesting. I have a similar set up and levels do need to be matched depending upon the sub sensitivity etc.

However, I'd be nervous using connectors that cheap and cheap looking. I think I draw the line at around $8 per connector. But to each their own...

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2018, 11:10 pm »
Make sure the output signal to the Sub from your AVR is way up, and same for the volume on the sub(s). Make sure you do have a good signal, then adjust down from there.

******CAUTION********

MAKE SURE THE MASTER VOLUME ON YOUR AVR IS LOW BEFORE SENDING THE SIGNAL!!!

:green: :green: :green: :green:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2018, 04:24 pm »
Try hooking up one sub at a time to the splitter and try both sides. Let us know what you find out from that.

In other words do the subs work hooked up one at a time using the splitter?

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2018, 05:19 pm »
thanks again. I will be working on it next weekend as I have a friend coming over to help out. I was only able to get feeble sound out of my Pioneer sub. I tried hooking it directly and still barely audible. something seems wrong, as the sub sounded perfect for a year, then unhooked and not used. I am trying to sell the Pioneer so it must be in perfect working order. I want to run my Klipsch with my 10 inch Polk for dual subs. I have a few other issues I want to address as well.
For some reason, only one speaker and the sub work when watching TV through my amp, but when I'm watching through my projector all speakers work??
There is a pretty bad buzzing coming from my Amp when there heat is going.