Wha was the last Blu-ray (DVD) movie that you watched on your Home Theater rig?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
This thread is going to be a winner! ...4K (Ultra HD), 3D, and all that jazz. :)

* BTW, is there an official "Friends List" here at AudioCircle?

dougme57

I have my thater rig in the basement with ceiling mounted projector and 100" screen. It is a big room with 9ft ceilings and I have the following connected to it:

Panasonic blu-ray (open box from Amazon)
DVR/Cable box
PC for music and surfing
Roku (reconditioned from Roku)
X-box

I love to get blu-rays from redbox and use Roku a lot. All items are hardwired to the intertet through a hub in my rack. As you can imagine it gets a lot of use with 3 teenagers in the house. I have true dolby/dolby hd sound.

Upstairs I have same cable box, Roku (wireless) and upconverting DVD player from Sony into a 51" Samsung plasma. We enjoy both systems and my wife andI tend to watch more stuff on the smaller system in the den. However when we want the movie experince, a good concert or a sporting event there is no comparison to the big screen, both visually and in sound. I am a big fan of blu-ray, so much more information!

North Star

Yes; a big screen, a great Blu-ray transfer in 3D ('Oz the Great and Powerful'; for the quality of the picture & audio, not necessarily for the script), is a major video/audio advancement experience. ...Definitely!

Last night, revisited ::

--

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
As a classic movie fan, I have to say that watching movies that have been cleaned up and transferred to blu-ray have been amazing to watch.  We were watching The Wizard of Oz with our daughter the other day on our Epson 1080p projector and 100" screen, and it was incredible how new and fresh it looked.  I remarked to my wife that no one has seen this movie look this good since it's first run in theaters.  I feel the same way about Chaplin films, Lawrence of Arabia, and pretty much everything that Criterion has a hand in.  On these types of movies, the jump from DVD to BluRay is huge. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I watched part of this recently, demo'ing the low frequency aspects of the film for a fellow AC member:  :thumb:

North Star

As a classic movie fan, I have to say that watching movies that have been cleaned up and transferred to blu-ray have been amazing to watch.  We were watching The Wizard of Oz with our daughter the other day on our Epson 1080p projector and 100" screen, and it was incredible how new and fresh it looked.  I remarked to my wife that no one has seen this movie look this good since it's first run in theaters.  I feel the same way about Chaplin films, Lawrence of Arabia, and pretty much everything Criterion has a hand in.  On these types of movies, the jump from DVD to BluRay is huge.

'The Wizard of Oz' is coming back; this time in 3D8)

...And all that classical Blu-ray stuff; I'm 100% with you.

_________

P.S. Bob, your 'Avatar' picture cover; it is too large.  :wink:

_________
_________

* Last night, revisited ::

--

=> I like this flick; it's fun, entertaining, action driven, makes you think (in the park, with those water containers: Simon says), and humorous.
...But the title truly sucks though!

North Star

-----Late last night ::

--

* See it, you'll luv it!  :hyper:
{You can also click ^ on it; the picture cover.}

ctviggen

It certainly is not the price of a BluRay player stoping me. The fact i own a LOT of movies on DVD. that is the primary reason I have not bothered with a BluRay player. (when My Denon 5910 player croaks.. yeah I will buy an Oppo..) I have zero need to rebuy anything. having done that once with "perfect sound forever'.. And also endless VHS replaced by laserdisc, then DVD.. i an finished with ANY rebuying. Period. (Now laserdisc.. yeah, the minute i compared DVD to laserdisc on my Plasma i tossed  $10K worth of laserdiscs into the trash. I have not been THAT impressed with BluRay over upsampled DVD.. No-where near as big a jump as DVD from laserdisc. So it is nothing to do with fearing the upgrade... It is that the upgrade (from upsampled DVD to BluRay) is just NOT enough to make me jump. Where with Laserdisc to DVD it was a no brainer 'throw the laserdiscs in the trash NOW!' (maybe for you the jump from DVD to BluRay is worth it. Not to me.
 I got my pile of movies.. I never stream, not borrow..Any move made before the last two years that i would ever want to see i already own. On DVD. For me, DVD is all I need. Maybe when I buy a 65" or bigger screen i might want BluRay.. By then the 4X may be coming to a TV near us soon..
I really am not interested in 'defending' myself over this and derailing the thread..  Thanks.

If you're viewing a 42 inch (720p) screen from a fair distance away (and don't have a nice sound system), then Bluray isn't that much of a deal.  I watched DVDs on my 92 inch projection screen, but I did compare the Bluray and the DVD of Star Trek (newest version) on a 42 inch TV and the Bluray blew away the DVD, close up anyway.  Get far enough away, though, and they look similar.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
The Host.  Should have known better as it's from the same "writer" as the Twilight series.  You can guess where this is going : lots of twenty-somethings giving each other smoldering looks, not much action.  Paused at one point to go to the bathroom and realized that I was only an hour into two hours of this low budget sci-fi groaner.  Even my 22 yr old goddaughter was at risk of going back to her iphone.

A shame as there are some interesting ideas here, and even a substantial co-lead for John Hurt.  But really almost laughable dialog at times.  In the movie they even tried to "justify" the low budget by saying the host aliens don't try to extensively modify their invaded planets! Subsequently aliens apparently have a thing for chrome plating, white clothing and minimalist modern architecture. 

Seems like we'll be seeing a lot more of lead Saorise Ronan in upcoming movies, so hopefully she'll be given better scripts. 

North Star

-- ^ ... 'The Host' is a cool flick; a classic horror genre. ..IMO.  ...And it is part of my High Def Movie 'fun' collection.  :D

* Last night | In 3D :::

--

=> Good stuff: 3D picture, audio, music performances, interviews with some artists' commentaries. ...Solid 'sound' recommendation!
{And if you click ^ on the above picture cover you'll get a review plus some info.}

North Star

The night before last I watched this (on Blu-ray) ::

--

=> Very good; the performances, the visuals, and the audio quality (audiophile 2-channel stereo sound).
Three greats (less Young), terrific imaging, and what I consider a must have for all CSN fans. ...And on Blu-ray of course.
{You can also click on the above ^ picture cover for some info and one review.}

And last night I revisited this (for the pure seriousness of it) ::

--

=> Tough; because first it's long at 2 & 1/2 hours, some scenes are catastrophic (scary), a lot of people end up dead (and I mean a LOT), it gives you a real perspective on how the world as we know it can end up, and no matter your color, your religion, your belief, your association in life and with your surroundings (including people) we're all going to end up at the same place in this vast universe eventually.

As for the survivors at the end inside those gigantic ultra-modern boats; their doomsday is coming soon to! ...It's just that they have to stop the movie because it was already quite long. ...Perhaps Part 2 is part of the conspiracy at one point in time. We'll just have to wait and see...
- Please, if you are of the 'squeegee' type, and under the age of thirteen don't watch this flick. ...It could be totally devastating for young children.
Instead I recommend Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse or Road Runner or some' like that for you dear youngsters; much less violent, and much less serious.
...And don't say that I didn't warn you.

martyo

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
'The Wizard of Oz' is coming back; this time in 3D8)

...And all that classical Blu-ray stuff; I'm 100% with you.

_________

P.S. Bob, your 'Avatar' picture cover; it is too large.  :wink:

_________
_________

* Last night, revisited ::

--

=> I like this flick; it's fun, entertaining, action driven, makes you think (in the park, with those water containers: Simon says), and humorous.
...But the title truly sucks though!

Watched that Die Hard movie last night as well.  Unbelievable vehicular carnage : the most I think I've seen in any movie ever.  A real audio torture test as well - I thought the pure subwoofer was going to have a heart attack.  There were these weird ultra low frequency effects even when NO action was taking place!

Anyway, lots of fun, even if Bruce's dialog started to get painful.  How many times did he say he was on vacation?  Just in case you didn't catch the joke the first time........

North Star

The Host.  Should have known better as it's from the same "writer" as the Twilight series.  You can guess where this is going : lots of twenty-somethings giving each other smoldering looks, not much action.  Paused at one point to go to the bathroom and realized that I was only an hour into two hours of this low budget sci-fi groaner.  Even my 22 yr old goddaughter was at risk of going back to her iphone.

A shame as there are some interesting ideas here, and even a substantial co-lead for John Hurt.  But really almost laughable dialog at times.  In the movie they even tried to "justify" the low budget by saying the host aliens don't try to extensively modify their invaded planets! Subsequently aliens apparently have a thing for chrome plating, white clothing and minimalist modern architecture. 

Seems like we'll be seeing a lot more of lead Saorise Ronan in upcoming movies, so hopefully she'll be given better scripts.

Oh that one (new 2013 release)! ...I first thought you meant the other one; the classic horror one. ...From 2006.

North Star

Watched that Die Hard ('Die Hard with a Vengeance') movie last night as well.  Unbelievable vehicular carnage : the most I think I've seen in any movie ever.  A real audio torture test as well - I thought the pure subwoofer was going to have a heart attack.  There were these weird ultra low frequency effects even when NO action was taking place!

Anyway, lots of fun, even if Bruce's dialog started to get painful.  How many times did he say he was on vacation?  Just in case you didn't catch the joke the first time........

Did you ever saw the movie 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'?

About 'A Good Day to Die Hard'?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Oh that one (new 2013 release)! ...I first thought you meant the other one; the classic horror one. ...From 2006.

Yeah, no, the new one.  Should have looked at the rotten tomato rating - about as low as it goes.  A real groaner of a movie.  So bad at moments its funny, if it wasn't so already tedious. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Did you ever saw the movie 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'?

About 'A Good Day to Die Hard'?

Being a car buff I sometimes cringe when I see perfectly nice cars destroyed.  But it's still impressive to watch.

I was starting to find Kevin Smith movies annoying at one point, but maybe because everyone else at the time was overly enthusiastic and the reality of them caused greater deflation. 

But now w/ the passage of time - and more maturity (yeah right) - it's time to enjoy immaturity again......it's on netflix streaming, so have added to cue and will get to it soon.....

North Star

'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' ... is just a dumb fun movie to watch, with a language that suits it well, and some funny scenes. ...Just a flash like that, without any meaningful source whatsoever.

'A Good Day to Die Hard' ... is a dumb bad movie, with some chaos, mayhem (car, truck chase ... machine guns, ...) and simply the worst along with the second installment  from the Die Hard Series.

* See them at your own risk!  :green:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
In case you've never seem the Ben Stiller Show Die Hard parody (it's short) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xZmKvkSGE

North Star

In case you've never seem the Ben Stiller Show Die Hard parody (it's short) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xZmKvkSGE

----  :green: :rotflmao: ----- :uzi: :cyclops: