Wha was the last Blu-ray (DVD) movie that you watched on your Home Theater rig?

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
Last night I watched this ::

--

* You can click ^ on the above picture cover for some info plus one review.
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2013, 07:48 pm by North Star »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Battle for Algiers - watching it right now, in fact:

What is crazy is how much the French experience in Algiers mirrors the US experience in the middle east. 

Mag

I bought two, Parker & A Good Day to Die Hard.

IIRC I watched Parker last, it was however my second viewing.

Also recently watched Last Stand in Blu-ray.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless

Will be interesting to see who gets what time in 2. Don't think it's a 'spoiler' to say the Arnold & Willis are just walk-ons in this one.

Dan Driscoll

Hmmm, haven't watched a move for a while. But we did watch the end of Season 2 of Game of Thrones on Saturday night and I watched the BRD of Rush's R30 concert Sunday.

Don_S

Not a bad movie but nothing special either. My generous friend has a lending library.  So I frequently watch movies I would never pay to rent.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Hansel & Gretel : Witchhunters.  Mostly stupid violent fun, and mercifully short at just over 1.5hrs.  Anyone else feel that supposed escapist action movies have gotten too long.  2-2.5hrs : really? 

dougme57

The Master. The acting was some of the best I have seen and the film is shot in an incredible format. My wife quit on it after about 15 minutes and i finished it wondering what it was about, really. A character study and a visual experience though.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
None. ever. I have thousands of DVDs.. and am not interested in BluRay.
The last movies i watched..
Alien Resurrection.
I had just watched Alien. Aliens.. and ten minutes of Alien3..
I have no issues with watching damn near perfect upscaled DVD on my 42" plasma.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Alien Resurrection.

C'mon Liz - don't be so cranky!  :icon_lol:  :wink:

An entry level panansonic blu ray player is like $80 (which will also upconvert DVD's).  If not for the image quality (maybe not such a big deal on a 42' set), the sound quality upgrade is worth it.  Dolby TruHD & DTS-HD Master Audio discrete & lossless audio is worth it over plain crumby dolby digital / DTS on DVD's.  Watched on Blu Ray Queen's Montreal concert circa 1984 the other day, and even at DTS-HD 24 bit / 96khz (not Master Audio), it looked great and sounded awesome.  And I'm not even a Queen fan!

If I wasn't such an AV hoarder, I'd send you one of my extra blu ray players.......

ADDITION : and the new ones allow you to stream Netflix, etc, which is definitely nice if you don't already have a standalone Roku / Apple TV / etc.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
The Master. The acting was some of the best I have seen and the film is shot in an incredible format. My wife quit on it after about 15 minutes and i finished it wondering what it was about, really. A character study and a visual experience though.

Really wanted to like this movie more : big fan of the director + most of the actors.  Some good acting / characters, but plot-wise it seemed like a cheech & chong movie.  Mostly two guys messing w/ each other and/or getting messed up, with not much of a story or clear direction. 

mcgsxr

Despicable Me with the kids.  Good TrueHD soundtrack.

Even better was Rise of the Guardians, that one has some killer bass in a few spots.

And lastly for Daddy, one of my fav silly evenings - The Big Lebowski.

wushuliu

Alien Resurrection.

Oh ho, I am watching Aliens right now on Blu-Ray. You are missing out. Not all blu rays are equal but the Alien Anthology box set is awesome. Alien looks brand new. Brand new. Like it was shot yesterday. You can see everything. Everything. Makes you appreciate just how amazing a job Scott did with the design. Aliens was shot with a grainier film stock but again you can see so much more that I will never ever go back to DVD for those films. That said not every blu ray looks this good, but when they do, man, it's pretty cool.

Austin08

12 round 2: Reloaded. Nonstop action.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
An entry level panansonic blu ray player is like $80
If I wasn't such an AV hoarder, I'd send you one of my extra blu ray players.......
It certainly is not the price of a BluRay player stoping me. The fact i own a LOT of movies on DVD. that is the primary reason I have not bothered with a BluRay player. (when My Denon 5910 player croaks.. yeah I will buy an Oppo..) I have zero need to rebuy anything. having done that once with "perfect sound forever'.. And also endless VHS replaced by laserdisc, then DVD.. i an finished with ANY rebuying. Period. (Now laserdisc.. yeah, the minute i compared DVD to laserdisc on my Plasma i tossed  $10K worth of laserdiscs into the trash. I have not been THAT impressed with BluRay over upsampled DVD.. No-where near as big a jump as DVD from laserdisc. So it is nothing to do with fearing the upgrade... It is that the upgrade (from upsampled DVD to BluRay) is just NOT enough to make me jump. Where with Laserdisc to DVD it was a no brainer 'throw the laserdiscs in the trash NOW!' (maybe for you the jump from DVD to BluRay is worth it. Not to me.
 I got my pile of movies.. I never stream, not borrow..Any move made before the last two years that i would ever want to see i already own. On DVD. For me, DVD is all I need. Maybe when I buy a 65" or bigger screen i might want BluRay.. By then the 4X may be coming to a TV near us soon..
I really am not interested in 'defending' myself over this and derailing the thread..  Thanks.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Sorry - wasn't trying to push your buttons - but when you come out dissing blu-rays, you have to expect some reaction.......thought if only for the sound quality improvement you might reconsider......

Don't have to re-buy your collection : you can rent blu-rays, whether netflix / redbox / etc or wherever you get your movies.

But you're right :  something better is always coming down the road in the not too distant future, whether on disk or streaming, so no use being overly protective about blu-rays.  And anyway - agreed this thread's about movies we've seen lately, regardless of the format, so back to that.....

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Healing from shoulder surgery.  Just watched, in sequence, the first ten Star Trek movies in glorious Bluray.  First time ever seeing the Nemesis movie, in which Data "dies."  :(   Wish I had scheduled time for the Las Vegas ST convention early August.

On this 92" perforated screen the difference is pretty big between the best DVD and Bluray. 

2001 Space Odyssey should be here tomorrow. 

Oh, wait, forgot, I just watched Blade Runner last night!  Great computer graphics, incredible for 31 years ago!   

North Star

An entry level panansonic blu ray player is like $80 (which will also upconvert DVD's).  If not for the image quality (maybe not such a big deal on a 42' set), the sound quality upgrade is worth it.  Dolby TruHD & DTS-HD Master Audio discrete & lossless audio is worth it over plain crumby dolby digital / DTS on DVD's.  Watched on Blu Ray Queen's Montreal concert circa 1984 the other day, and even at DTS-HD 24 bit / 96khz (not Master Audio), it looked great and sounded awesome.  And I'm not even a Queen fan!

ADDITION : and the new ones allow you to stream Netflix, etc, which is definitely nice if you don't already have a standalone Roku / Apple TV / etc.

No problem; the title says Blu-ray but DVD, TV, Cinema Theater, Megaplex, IMAX 3D, movie downloads, Netflix, Vudu, Roku, Cinemax, Fox, illegal videos, pirated movies, fifty years old shows, O.J. Simpson, Zimmerman, broadcast news, weather report, real life tragedies, soap operas, the Simpsons, the Kardashians, Snooki, Ozzy, documentaries, .... everything you can view on the tube, including youtube, or a giant screen like the true IMAX format, or even in your own home theater is good.  8)

* More in reply to Reply #8, from Elizabeth.

North Star

Last night I watched this ::

--

* Powerful flick, and directed by the same guy (Jacques Audiard) who did 'A Prophet'. ...It's a French flick, so be ready to read the subtitles (not for me though as I'm already French; Canadian). ...But it's worth it, I guaranty that all of you will love it! ...If you didn't see it already.
{It's a click on ^ picture cover, of course, for info, plus one review.}

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013, 08:20 pm by North Star »

North Star

It certainly is not the price of a BluRay player stoping me. The fact i own a LOT of movies on DVD. that is the primary reason I have not bothered with a BluRay player. (when My Denon 5910 player croaks.. yeah I will buy an Oppo..) I have zero need to rebuy anything. having done that once with "perfect sound forever'.. And also endless VHS replaced by laserdisc, then DVD.. i an finished with ANY rebuying. Period. (Now laserdisc.. yeah, the minute i compared DVD to laserdisc on my Plasma i tossed  $10K worth of laserdiscs into the trash. I have not been THAT impressed with BluRay over upsampled DVD.. No-where near as big a jump as DVD from laserdisc. So it is nothing to do with fearing the upgrade... It is that the upgrade (from upsampled DVD to BluRay) is just NOT enough to make me jump. Where with Laserdisc to DVD it was a no brainer 'throw the laserdiscs in the trash NOW!' (maybe for you the jump from DVD to BluRay is worth it. Not to me.
 I got my pile of movies.. I never stream, not borrow..Any move made before the last two years that i would ever want to see i already own. On DVD. For me, DVD is all I need. Maybe when I buy a 65" or bigger screen i might want BluRay.. By then the 4X may be coming to a TV near us soon..
I really am not interested in 'defending' myself over this and derailing the thread..  Thanks.

Hi Elizabeth, my name is Robert (Bob), nice meeting you!

I saw Blu-ray players (some demos) from Future Shop, a local store here where I live, on sale for $30 (stream everything, and even 3D; like a Sony one for example, real cute, real small). Many of my older DVD movies I paid more than that for just one of them!!! ...Back in 1997-98.

Also, just another example; Alien Anthology on Blu-ray (six BD discs, four movies) was selling for only $20!!! ...Brand new!
There are Blus selling for less than five bucks! ...And of course some 3D ones from Disney for more (you get mail-in coupons too, if you're a coupon girl; you know, redeeming credits). ...And Criterion has some sales once in a while and they have BD titles for only twenty bucks!

BUT! Because you have thousands of DVDs (I have over five thousands of them myself), and because you have the DEnon 5910 Universal DVD player with the HQV Realta video processor (I have the DEnon DVD-3930CI myself), I can totally relate.

BUT, and that's an even bigger 'butt'; I also have tons of VHS tapes, about a dozen more DVD players, VCR players, tons of Blu-ray and HD DVD players (about 4,000 Blu-ray movies & 400 HD DVD movies), I can categorically say that for the last five years or so, I don't watch no more than one or two DVDs per year!

But it's me, and everything in life that is beautiful to look at (hi-def picture) and extremely pleasing to listen to (hi-res audio).

And by the way, the bigger the better (size). ...Of the screen of course.

Hey, Elizabeth, I'm only sayin'.   ...I can totally relate with you. :)