Splitter recommendation for coax cable (Verizon Fios)

rif

• Not a cowboy
I have fios cable and internet - right now my splitters are 1ghz, but I've read i should be using at least 2ghz.  Getting an answer our of Verizon is....difficult at best.

I haven't noticed anything bad happening- speedtest.net gives reasonable results and I see no artifacts on my hd channels. Maybe I should just leave them alone.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Splitter recommendation for coax cable (Verizon Fios)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2013, 03:50 pm »
Having several gamers in your house would be the only reason I could see needing that kind of speed.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:43 pm »
Having several gamers in your house would be the only reason I could see needing that kind of speed.

OK, maybe I didn't explain it right, since I didn't mention specific down/up speeds.

I am interested in the splitters used on the coaxial cable (with F connectors) that carries the digital and HD channels, On Demand, internet, MOCA, probably some other buzzwords too. You know, the coax comes in from a jack in the wall, goes into a splitter and out to 1) the modem/router and 2) the cable box/tivo.

vortrex

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:52 pm »
it has nothing to do with speeds.  it's probably safe to say Verizon is not sending you any channels over 1ghz.  that said, if you have a splitter with outs you are not using, resize to something with only the number of outs you need.  this will lessen the db loss and improve your picture.  I just bought a Monster (yeah I know...) splitter from Amazon that has some active circuitry in it to perfectly load split the signal and I saw an improvement in my picture.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:57 pm »
So when it says 1Ghz, 700 Mhz, etc., on a splitter that's a frequency?  I thought it described the bandwidth it was capable of handling.

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:13 pm »
it's the frequency band the splitter is rated for, that's why there is usually a range.  I don't think cable companies are sending anything over 1ghz.

when I worked at comcast the cable modem upstream was in the 500mhz range, downstream cable modem was below that, and tv channels were even lower.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2013, 09:23 pm »
OK, maybe I didn't explain it right, since I didn't mention specific down/up speeds.
Yea, maybe I didn't read it right either. I missed the part in the title about it being coax cable, not net speed.
I'll just sit here quietly in my wrong chair, being wrong.  :duh:

Bob  :wink:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2013, 09:58 pm »
it's the frequency band the splitter is rated for, that's why there is usually a range.  I don't think cable companies are sending anything over 1ghz.

when I worked at comcast the cable modem upstream was in the 500mhz range, downstream cable modem was below that, and tv channels were even lower.

That may be, but Fios is a little different -- they send all the data (TV, internet, and phone) via fiber optic to the ONT in my garage.  The ONT then sends it out to my house via regular coax cables (or copper wire for the phone).

So I need to do some digging on what the ONT transmits.  Fun times... Or I could contact verizon several times and see which answer they give me the most.  Again...fun times...  :thumb:

Or I'll heed the warning -- if it ain't broke... but that doesn't work for us fanatics, right?  :thumb:

GerryD

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm »
You can get a coaxial splitter from Monoprice rated up to 2400 megahertz(2.4 gigahertz) for $2.31.  That's for a 1 in/3 out.  Seems like a cheap experiment to see if it offers improvement.  Other configurations are available.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:43 pm »
You can get a coaxial splitter from Monoprice rated up to 2400 megahertz(2.4 gigahertz) for $2.31.  That's for a 1 in/3 out.  Seems like a cheap experiment to see if it offers improvement.  Other configurations are available.

Thanks! I haven't experimented because I've been having trouble finding them.  I've never used monoprice, i just heard of them last month, but love to find new sources.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm »
Hi.
I have fios cable and internet - right now my splitters are 1ghz, but I've read i should be using at least 2ghz. 

Get one Monster 2-way cable/internet splitter 2GHz from Best Buy for 19 bucks or so. Many have used it. It works.

c-J

cpk

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:10 am »
This is the splitter I  used with Fios when I split the signal to STB and MOCA Bridge. This is the one that was recommended after much research.
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH47N-2-Way-Signal-Splitter/dp/B00005T3EV/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1MCM8R29PRZLQ&coliid=I2KYZK2O2L3XX6
This does the job well, great picture on projector and internet speeds of 84 and 44...

Joe

Philistine

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm »
I have FiOS TV/Internet - the Verizon recommended minimum frequency for a splitter is 1.1GHz.
Discovered that I had  a MoCA installation and called tech support for recommendations on a MoCA adapter, to split the two signals they recommended 1.1 Gig for any splitters used.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2013, 08:26 pm »
I've been living with the monoprice splitters for a little bit now. I'm happy to report no adverse effects.
But I have little faith in their quality - some of the other no-brand name stuff I bought from them is utter junk that I'll be returning.

The tivo reports the same snr, strength, and other parameters.

I have 75/35 internet - speedtest on my tablet is about 33/33. On my laptop it's 65/35. I think the laptop is wifi limited and the tablet is cpu limited. Haven't tried wired connection yet.