Production update ONE.3 and iMake ONE.3

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Production update ONE.3 and iMake ONE.3
« on: 6 Feb 2014, 04:41 am »
Guys,

Quick update on ONE.3 and iMake production.

ONE.3 is well into production and the long pole in the tent will be the 130w PSUs which will land on March 17th.  To compress the schedule, we will try to ship units without those PSUs as close to March 1 as possible.   The amp board for the iMake ONE.3 will obviously finish in Feb also.

All ONE.3 units will ship from Taiwan directly to save time.  We'll send the bonus cables, etc. out there for our beloved early buyers so they ship together.

Production on the iMake pre-amp board has not yet begun and will take us out into early April.  I'm not seeing any problems right now and am very excited.

Thank you all for your patience.  We've got a few more surprises coming soon and another opportunity to buy in.

Seth

sugbob21

Re: Production update ONE.3 and iMake ONE.3
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm »
thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing the iMake !!

jeffh

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2014, 03:21 pm »
Seth
Will you have extra 130w PSUs ?  I am still using the original PSU that came with my ONE.2 and would like to upgrade to the 130w PSU.

ericlp151

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2014, 09:53 am »
Order# 2792

Can't wait to try the new amp.  Might have to put the Trends on the chopping block.  Kinda sad to see it go... But, more power will be welcomed.   Good news that everything is on track for shipping.  :)

It's been a long wait for me and a long time sitting on the fence but like you said, $350 is no brainer and if for some reason (hopefully not) I don't like the sound I could always resell it.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2014, 11:20 pm by ericlp151 »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2014, 05:03 am »
It's been a long wait for me and a long time sitting on the fence but like you said, $350 is no brainer and if for some reason (hopefully not) I don't like the sound I could always resell it.

True Dat!

Thank you for the order!

Yes, we'll have more 30/130w supplies.  I ordered 30 of them for this next batch...

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 11:24 am »
Hi Seth,

Has the response been as good as you hoped? 

Cheers Rod

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2014, 05:45 pm »
Hey Rod -

The response was very positive.

I'm going to be posting pictures of the inside next week and announcing some new "bonus" features for our pre-order customers.

Exciting!

Seth

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:00 am »
Rod,

I had a bunch of personal stuff come up this week so this isn't where I wanted it to be, none-the-less, let me pull back a bit more of the curtain on iMake.

There are some interesting things here including a DC-DC power supply that can drive the crap out of any Op-Amps you may choose to roll into it.  You'll be able to use the amplifier board (not shown) to drive balanced headphones if the 8w you can get out of this with a 30v swing is not enough ;-)  You can also drive unbalanced phones.

What I wanted to announce was that pre-orders will all ship with the IR/remote control option enabled.  That means an electronic volume control and I'm going to throw in a very high-end option based on the MAS6116.  You'll need an Apple remote to use it and the sensor will be on a dongle that plugs into the back panel.

I've got a crushing week at my day job and reserve the right to not answer every question just yet.  Plan on catching up next weekend.

Seth

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2014, 10:23 am »
Hi Seth,

I presume this is the remote IC volume control that you are talking about?

http://www.mas-oy.com/uploads/Data%20sheets/DA6116.pdf

Regards Rod

velomane

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2014, 09:40 pm »
Hi Seth,

Do you have any details on the headphone aspect of the iMake ONE.3?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2014, 07:23 pm »
Quick update.  ONE.3 is finished and in boxes.  We are finishing the customs forms and they will ship (Monday).

The USA units will come to me and then go out USPS.  DHL was just too expensive shipping direct from TW.

We're biting the bullet on the other ones which will ship door to door from TW.  Tracking numbers will come next week unless the broker does not provide them to me.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2014, 07:26 pm »
Yes about MAS6116.

So... iMake production is falling behind.  We only sold a handful so far and have a few more things planned for the next announcement. 

More features will go into the final version which will perhaps increase the 2nd round of pre-orders.

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:32 am »
Rod,

I had a bunch of personal stuff come up this week so this isn't where I wanted it to be, none-the-less, let me pull back a bit more of the curtain on iMake.

There are some interesting things here including a DC-DC power supply that can drive the crap out of any Op-Amps you may choose to roll into it.  You'll be able to use the amplifier board (not shown) to drive balanced headphones if the 8w you can get out of this with a 30v swing is not enough ;-)  You can also drive unbalanced phones.

What I wanted to announce was that pre-orders will all ship with the IR/remote control option enabled.  That means an electronic volume control and I'm going to throw in a very high-end option based on the MAS6116.  You'll need an Apple remote to use it and the sensor will be on a dongle that plugs into the back panel.

I've got a crushing week at my day job and reserve the right to not answer every question just yet.  Plan on catching up next weekend.

Seth

Please help me understand. What the function for that Op-amp?  You can switch them out for what type of difference in effect?

Thanks,  Genez

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:10 pm »
Hi,

I have an Eastern Electric Dac Plus which I've swapped opamps in and out of the dac.  Depending on your flavour you can try a number of different types to tailor the amplifier to your taste.  Much like tube swapping.

Cheers Rod

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:20 pm »
Please help me understand. What the function for that Op-amp?  You can switch them out for what type of difference in effect?

Thanks,  Genez

A swappable op-amp is common in the headphone amp world.  So I'm bringing it here.  You can run the power amp itself by connecting to the line-level or pre-amplified output. 

Op-amps have different SQs.  Also, there is a mechanism to adjust the gain -- from simple buffer, 1:1, all the way up to ridiculous volumes.  There isn't a headphone you won't be able to drive with this.

Seth

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2014, 02:38 pm »
ONE.3 units did ship yesterday after much hoopla about Bill of Lading dates and customs stuff.

Josh in Taiwan got his already (of course) and was at first confused by the new posts.  Note, there are no longer 4 propellers.  Just one propeller which functions as a tool -- like wrench.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback as these break in.

I've not yet received several large boxes which will be broken down for USA/Canada shipments.  Stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2014, 05:52 pm »
How much current does the ONE.3 draw?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2014, 06:06 pm »
Jason - I never checked idle current draw but I suspect something non trivial like 500mA. 

Will let you know later since I can actually test this stuff now ;-)  The iMake will be slightly less; not sure it will satisfy the EU but we'll see.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2014, 07:47 pm »
Jason - I never checked idle current draw but I suspect something non trivial like 500mA. 

Will let you know later since I can actually test this stuff now ;)  The iMake will be slightly less; not sure it will satisfy the EU but we'll see.
Oh wow.  So it requires < 3A LPS @12Vdc?   :scratch:   

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2014, 07:50 pm »
You definitely don't need 3A when used with high sensitivity speakers.  We have shut-down circuitry though that will prevent 12v from working with ONE.3/iMake.  You need 2 of those packs in series (24v).