A link to all Tuesday Tech Talk video's.

tom739

Re: A link to all Tuesday Tech Talk video's.
« Reply #40 on: 6 Dec 2020, 04:50 am »
I also look forward to the video tutorial on adjusting the A370 amp settings.
Thanks!

cjsailer

« Reply #41 on: 15 Mar 2021, 11:21 pm »
I also look forward to the video tutorial on adjusting the A370 amp settings.
Thanks!
Yes, I'd like to  up-vote for a settings tutorial on A370 servo amp as well.  I just got a notification that my order for the subwoofers are finally shipping.  I'd like to be able to bomb the bass proper!

I'd be interested to know when it's best to use line in versus high level in.  Does using a y-splitter for connecting both line level inputs have any drawbacks?

With all the settings, I'm sure there's a multi episode series here.

Hypersonic

« Reply #42 on: 10 Jul 2021, 06:56 pm »
Thanks for the Tech Talks, good info on some core topics. I found the link here not on your YT channel.   

Suggestions for future talks:
1.  You have one on speaker measurements, I would like to know more about the hardware, software you use and analytic process on the measurements
2.  I remember covering network design in a required EE class - long forgotten (I am Aerospace), but i heard you mention calculated networks are not the best.  Without giving away secret sauce recipe could you share more on how you design networks for your speakers and the "fixes" you apply to manufactured speakers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 19 Sep 2021, 01:10 pm »
"Dialing in your Subwoofer"

https://youtu.be/1HM7_OIgqwM

cjsailer

« Reply #44 on: 7 Oct 2021, 01:00 am »
I have a few questions from Danny's recent servo sub video, regarding the high pass filter section. 

Can you do a high pass filter on an XLR cable, and if so would that mean two capacitors in the filter?  One for the normal signal and the other for the reversed signal?  I assume both caps would have the same value.

And then for determining the crossover point for the filter.  I assume you want to measure where your mains are 3db down in room and target that figure?

Regarding determining the amplifiers input impedance.  Would you just go from the data sheet specifications from the manufacture?  Or do, or can, you measure this?

Now after you have a good crossover point determined and know the input impedance of the amp, you just plug those value into a high pass filter crossover calculator and get your capacitor value.  If your calculated value falls in between two values of readily available capacitor, you go to the next highest one right?  Put differently if my calculated values is 0.33uf but I only can find a 0.30uf or 0.36uf capacitor, I'd go with the 0.36uf cap right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2021, 12:22 am by cjsailer »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 8 Oct 2021, 03:23 am »
Yes you can highpass an XLR, but it will require one capacitor for each positive and negative leg of the cable. they will indeed be the same value.

You can set it wherever you want tbh. If you're sub has better control below say 80Hz then you can set it to roll the speakers off starting around 80Hz.

Or you can set it to just about anything.

Usually for input impedance, you can just use the specifications given online for your amp, tho some may have multiple impedance levels based on their settings.

Correct, there's an online calculator for finding either value you wish.
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/High-pass-filter-calculator.php

You can use your input impedance and the desired roll off point to find the cap value you need.
or.
You can use the input impedance and a specific cap value to find what the roll off point will be, if say the exact cap value you are looking for doesn't exist and which one will work best for you.

Hope that helps!  :thumb: