Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?

OzarkTom

Will be interesting to hear your comparison results.  It would be even more interesting to hear how it compares to a Tortuga (or similar) if anyone has one.
Sumo

My friend Rex says it beats his Tortuga.

sumoking

My friend Rex says it beats his Tortuga.

Wow! I had the Reference Line Passive for a good long time and it really reminded me of it.  $56 with XLRs... amazing deal! I think I will get another and go dual mono just to see if it makes a difference.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
That will be interesting Charles. Probably one of the most unfair comparisons anyone can make.

True. Do not expect to be close but what the heck.

charles

sumoking

charles

Will be very interesting to hear how they sound different.  :popcorn:
Is it your LAMM preamp? 

sumoking

charles

Rollo-
Looking forward to hearing your comparison review!
Did you get it yet?
Thanks.

OzarkTom

The preamp I replaced was the $1800 IFI Itube Pro Ican. Rex has both the Warp Speed and the Tortuga. I am thinking about trying the $59 3 input, 2 output. I could use more inputs. I have a couple of subs I could hook up to it also.

MttBsh

The preamp I replaced was the $1800 IFI Itube Pro Ican. Rex has both the Warp Speed and the Tortuga. I am thinking about trying the $59 3 input, 2 output. I could use more inputs. I have a couple of subs I could hook up to it also.

Can someone venture a guess as to how a $56.00 preamp displaces ones costing 30 times as much?? not 3 times as much .... 30 times!
I understand that both labor and materials are cheaper in China… but 30 times less??

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
I preferred a SMpro Nano patch ($60) over a $7000 Marantz sc7s2 . Go figure

I received the nobsound yesterday . It sounds great . Bass is the biggest improvement over the SMpro used in comparison . All frequencies sound more vibrant . Excellent product . Thanks for sharing the info guys !

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
Can someone venture a guess as to how a $56.00 preamp displaces ones costing 30 times as much?? not 3 times as much .... 30 times!
I understand that both labor and materials are cheaper in China… but 30 times less??
Ever see the Primaluna ad that talks about how the preamp is the biggest con in audio . The costs to build a preamp are small . The amounts manufacturers charge is ridiculous

ClefChef

What do you call a "preamp"? Alps in a box is not a "preamp", it's just alps in a box. Before you fall over congratulating yourselves on bargain of the decade please get familiar with source impedance matching concepts.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
That was already discussed on page one of the thread.  As well as understanding matching impedance levels correctly I'm pretty sure most members here are aware of the differences between active and passive preamps.  But if somebody does ask we know who to go to.

OzarkTom

What do you call a "preamp"? Alps in a box is not a "preamp", it's just alps in a box. Before you fall over congratulating yourselves on bargain of the decade please get familiar with source impedance matching concepts.

My buddy Rex owns an impedence matching Tortuga. But he likes this Nobsound better. For $56, buy one and if you do not like it, return it in 30 days to get your $56 back.

Rex has used passives for over 30 years now. I doubt if anyone else here has had that many.

JohnR

It's just a potentiometer and a switch. Less circuitry can sometimes be better, it's very system-dependent. Balanced ones are not very common though, perhaps that's a reason for the good reports...

Assuming I have the right one that is, it's cheaper on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Passive-Preamp-Pre-Amplifier-XLR-RCA-Volume-Control-/272866696241 [Edit] Hm, well the one I linked says it has an Alps 09 whereas this one on amazon says Alps 27. In fact there seems to be several different versions of it...

wushuliu

It's just a potentiometer and a switch. Less circuitry can sometimes be better, it's very system-dependent. Balanced ones are not very common though, perhaps that's a reason for the good reports...

Assuming I have the right one that is, it's cheaper on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fully-Balanced-Single-Ended-Passive-Preamp-Pre-Amplifier-XLR-RCA-Volume-Control-/272866696241

That's the one with the 20K pot. OzarkTom is talking about a newer one (that looks the same) with a 10K pot...

JohnR

Yes, I've now realized there are several versions. Did someone post a link earlier? [Edit] Yes OzarkTom did. Sorry for the confusion :)  :duh:

wushuliu

Yes, I've now realized there are several versions. Did someone post a link earlier? [Edit] Yes OzarkTom did. Sorry for the confusion :)  :duh:

No worries mate!

MttBsh

One thing I'm quite familiar with is tone, and I'm not sure I like yours  :lol: :lol: :lol:

firedog

In answer to the OP's question, I think the Schiit Sys is quite good for $49.

maty

About the green ALPS 09: at low volume channels are often unbalanced, that is, the volume differs a bit. Only at the beginning of the turn. It is a common complaint.

Off topic or not:

I have an iFi iCan class A headphone amp and it has this small problem with the ALPS 09.

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2018, 11:29 am by maty »

OzarkTom

About the green ALPS 09: at low volume channels are often unbalanced, that is, the volume differs a bit. Only at the beginning of the turn. It is a common complaint.

Off topic or not:

I have an iFi iCan class A headphone amp and it has this small problem with the ALPS 09.

You are right, both the IFInPro Ican and the Nobsound is off balance at very low listening levels. If you listen at very low levels, buy two Nobsounds. Then ylu have   two balance controls for $112. Or think dual mono.