BRYSTON BP-18

cameraman

Re: BRYSTON BP-18
« Reply #60 on: 4 Aug 2020, 02:42 pm »
I really like the feature set, just wish I hadn't recently bought a new preamp. Who knows though, I have more than one music room. I miss the BP-25 I sold to buy an SP2, which I finally sold after the SP3 was slow to arrive and I wanted HDMI.

I saw it asked and I think you answered the BP-18 has Home Theater Bypass? Even though 2-channel is the priority, I do want to use the same speakers and amps while watching TV/Movies. I would also need an external phono preamp after just buying an MC cartridge.

Does the USB support FLAC playback? Seems if it did an A to B adapter would be required. Another convenience feature I use a lot on a much lower end Headphone Amp/Preamp is direct digital Apple Lightning connector to USB connection allowing me to play iPod/iPhone/iPad iTunes Apple lossless files. If Apple MFi certification is not practical, at least the ability to connect via the Apple Camera connector for the direct digital connection that bypasses the iPhones DAC and uses the Preamp's DAC. I suppose if these features were included there would be a front mounted USB A port. May not be common for higher end systems but that is how my wife plays her music.

Has the estimated price been announced?

Overall I really like the concept and design and can visualize one in my family room.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 4 Aug 2020, 03:08 pm »
I really like the feature set, just wish I hadn't recently bought a new preamp. Who knows though, I have more than one music room. I miss the BP-25 I sold to buy an SP2, which I finally sold after the SP3 was slow to arrive and I wanted HDMI.

I saw it asked and I think you answered the BP-18 has Home Theater Bypass? Even though 2-channel is the priority, I do want to use the same speakers and amps while watching TV/Movies. I would also need an external phono preamp after just buying an MC cartridge.

Does the USB support FLAC playback? Seems if it did an A to B adapter would be required. Another convenience feature I use a lot on a much lower end Headphone Amp/Preamp is direct digital Apple Lightning connector to USB connection allowing me to play iPod/iPhone/iPad iTunes Apple lossless files. If Apple MFi certification is not practical, at least the ability to connect via the Apple Camera connector for the direct digital connection that bypasses the iPhones DAC and uses the Preamp's DAC. I suppose if these features were included there would be a front mounted USB A port. May not be common for higher end systems but that is how my wife plays her music.

Has the estimated price been announced?

Overall I really like the concept and design and can visualize one in my family room.

Hi camerman

Yes the USB can play all types of digital files.

Sorry no price yet - should know once the bean counters get finished.

james

Sasha

« Reply #62 on: 4 Aug 2020, 03:49 pm »
Hi Sasha - from engineering:

Those are the analog inputs as indicated on the bottom of the picture as well as the conditions.

james

Thanks James,

Did not notice the bottom, it was too small, once enlarged it was visible, impressive figures.
Is the DAC implementation in BP-18 identical to the one in BDA-3, does it measure as well?

Thanks,
Sasha

gdbalp

« Reply #63 on: 4 Aug 2020, 10:39 pm »
Hi James,

looks like another winner for Bryston... :thumb: :thumb:

As Sasha has asked, what are the DAC chips used in this application, same setup as BDA-3?

I am sure this is late in the development of this unit, but can USB ports be added to the rear and front for more flexibility from music sources.

And what about a I²S port from other external sources, this say this is the best digital interface.

Are the USB port isolated, some manufacturers are using special software/drivers that reduces the noise from this interface.

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 4 Aug 2020, 11:28 pm »
Thanks James,

Did not notice the bottom, it was too small, once enlarged it was visible, impressive figures.
Is the DAC implementation in BP-18 identical to the one in BDA-3, does it measure as well?

Thanks,
Sasha

Hi Sasha

Yes the DAC is identical.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 4 Aug 2020, 11:29 pm »
Hi James,

looks like another winner for Bryston... :thumb: :thumb:

As Sasha has asked, what are the DAC chips used in this application, same setup as BDA-3?

I am sure this is late in the development of this unit, but can USB ports be added to the rear and front for more flexibility from music sources.

And what about a I²S port from other external sources, this say this is the best digital interface.

Are the USB port isolated, some manufacturers are using special software/drivers that reduces the noise from this interface.

Luigi

Hi Luigi

Yes the hardware is set at this point.

james

klao

« Reply #66 on: 5 Aug 2020, 08:55 am »
I have always mistakenly thought both BP26 and SP3 in 2-ch bypass mode are fully balanced preamps and just realized they're internally converted to single-ended first.  I use all XLR cables 1-meter runs from sources to SP3 and 5-to-8.5-meter runs from SP3 to my monoblocks. 

So the BP18 should be quieter than the BP26/SP3? Any other potential sonic differences?

One new feature over the BP26 is the BP18 runs fully balanced from input to output.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 5 Aug 2020, 10:50 am »
I have always mistakenly thought both BP26 and SP3 in 2-ch bypass mode are fully balanced preamps and just realized they're internally converted to single-ended first.  I use all XLR cables 1-meter runs from sources to SP3 and 5-to-8.5-meter runs from SP3 to my monoblocks. 

So the BP18 should be quieter than the BP26/SP3? Any other potential sonic differences?

Hi Klao

Yes the way we have designed the balanced circuits has rendered even better common mode rejection.  This preamp is REALLY QUIET !!!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 7 Aug 2020, 10:15 pm »
Listening to Scott Hamilton on my Bryston turntable and MC phono stage :thumb:

james

klao

« Reply #69 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:45 am »
Hi Klao

Yes the way we have designed the balanced circuits has rendered even better common mode rejection.  This preamp is REALLY QUIET !!!

james

That's great. Would this new preamp has HT bypass mode for certain or all inputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 8 Aug 2020, 11:00 am »
That's great. Would this new preamp has HT bypass mode for certain or all inputs?

Hi Klao.

Not sure on that.  I know because the BP18 is software driven features can be developed over time so I guess unless there is a hardware issue the sky's the limit!

james

Sasha

« Reply #71 on: 8 Aug 2020, 03:23 pm »
Hi James,

Here is an unusual question.
Let’s say you get BP-18 but then for whatever reason you decide that you want to use only the DA conversion in it and have the output at fixed volume, bypassing completely the pre-amp section of BP-18, as if you had BDA-3 in place of BP-18.
Is it possible to bypass pre-amp section, and have fixed output without any gain of pre-amp section?

Thanks,
Sasha

R. Daneel

« Reply #72 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:38 pm »
Hi James,

Let’s say you get BP-18 but then for whatever reason you decide that you want to use only the DA conversion in it and have the output at fixed volume, bypassing completely the pre-amp section of BP-18, as if you had BDA-3 in place of BP-18.
Is it possible to bypass pre-amp section, and have fixed output without any gain of pre-amp section?

Thanks,
Sasha

That's a really good question! LIke I said before, my concern is connecting external headphone amps as this is best done with fixed line-level output.

I really like the look of the BP-18 though. Sort of like a 2-channel version of the SP-3.

Is streaming going to be an option or is it included?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:00 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks,
Sasha

I will find out.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:04 pm »
That's a really good question! LIke I said before, my concern is connecting external headphone amps as this is best done with fixed line-level output.

I really like the look of the BP-18 though. Sort of like a 2-channel version of the SP-3.

Is streaming going to be an option or is it included?

Cheers,
Antun

The Pi4 is included Antun.  Only option at this point will be the MM Phono Stage.

From a cost of manufacturing perspective the more options you have (models and inventory) the more expensive it becomes - so if you can include most options as a standard it really helps makes all the options cost effective.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:14 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks,
Sasha

From Engineering:

It is not possible to bypass the level control,  however it is possible to assign any input for home theater passthrough and have a fixed output level.

R. Daneel

« Reply #76 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:27 pm »
The Pi4 is included Antun.  Only option at this point will be the MM Phono Stage.

From a cost of manufacturing perspective the more options you have (models and inventory) the more expensive it becomes - so if you can include most options as a standard it really helps makes all the options cost effective.

james

Thank you James!

Do you feel like you've surpassed your existing preamps in terms of audio quality with the BP-18? Is it possible we'll see some of the technological implementations done in the BP-18 in future versions of your 'analogue-only' preamps?

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:55 pm »
Thank you James!

Do you feel like you've surpassed your existing preamps in terms of audio quality with the BP-18? Is it possible we'll see some of the technological implementations done in the BP-18 in future versions of your 'analogue-only' preamps?

Cheers,
Antun

Hi

Its a great question and i know the OP amps and the volume control are a new design that the engineer in charge has been working with. 

From a listening standpoint all I can say its its really quiet and even the Phono seems to have far less background noise and clicks and pops as such. On thing that is outstanding so far is the size of the stage. It seems to extend in all directions. Also it seems to be able to retrieve details without sounding hard or forward.

When you get to this level of performance its gets harder and harder to distinguish between preamp 1 2 or 3 as to which is better but I think the lower we can get the noise floor and the distortions the better you are able to hear the subtleties in the music like soundstage size and air and ambience around instruments.

Thats my story so far.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #78 on: 8 Aug 2020, 06:29 pm »
Hi

Its a great question and i know the OP amps and the volume control are a new design that the engineer in charge has been working with. 

From a listening standpoint all I can say its its really quiet and even the Phono seems to have far less background noise and clicks and pops as such. On thing that is outstanding so far is the size of the stage. It seems to extend in all directions. Also it seems to be able to retrieve details without sounding hard or forward.

When you get to this level of performance its gets harder and harder to distinguish between preamp 1 2 or 3 as to which is better but I think the lower we can get the noise floor and the distortions the better you are able to hear the subtleties in the music like soundstage size and air and ambience around instruments.

Thats my story so far.

james

Thank you for your honesty James! I will be following this topic with satisfaction. I believe your preamps are world-class and wish you all the success.

Cheers,
Antun

Sasha

« Reply #79 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:45 pm »

Hi James.

What in your opinion contributes to the size and depth of a sound stage, what is the quantifiable and measurable characteristic of a device that will present itself in a different perception of sound stage size?
I understand what contributes to the precise positioning of a source of a sound (instruments, vocalists within a sound stage), retrieval of details, etc., but I am not sure what drives the size and depth?

Sasha