custom rack!

maxboy00

Re: custom rack!
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2015, 05:59 pm »
If the system profile is up to date it says "Daedalus DA-1.1 version 2 with AP crossovers on maple/walnut/maple bases with spikes on Herbie's decoupling gliders"

Much thanks, looking at getting a full range speaker and Daedalus is on the short list, should be a good match with Modwright gear.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2015, 06:12 pm »
Much thanks, looking at getting a full range speaker and Daedalus is on the short list, should be a good match with Modwright gear.

They are a great match for ModWright gear. Dan's reference speakers are the Daedalus Ulysses.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2015, 07:03 pm »
Thanks for the pics Laura!!!
 Even though these were a PITA to build I will add them to the product lineup, I just love the way they look and they ARE solid.

So thanks Laura and Jim for 'motivating" me to design and build these.   :thumb:

david12

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
 I agree, they certainly do look nice. When I went to RMAF in 2009 and ordered my DA-RMas, Lou had a beautiful rack then, which he had built himself. My wife and I inquired then whether he was going to market them. He said he thought not, they would be too expensive for him to build and offer at a reasonable price. This rack looks similar, perhaps a bit more heavily built, but it looks great.

The PS Audio harvesters are new to me, do you think they help with reproduction Laura? I would also like to know about the Power Broker. I thought it was an alternative to a conditioner, like the P5, but you use it as well. Do they seem to work well together? Thanks David

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:31 pm »
hi David, 
The Power Broker is very high quality distribution box that does some filtering and phase stabilization via the wiring (without filter components such as capacitors etc). It is designed for very high quality components which usually suffer when powered through 'conditioners'.

I usually have a Furman voltage regulation conditioner as well which I plug INTO the Power Broker. Preamps, power amps etc and any component with a very robust power supply do NOT go through the Furman but straight into the Power Broker.  Other components ie: SB Touch, computers, some CD players etc make use of the Furman. I do have one tube preamp that needs to see 120v steady so that runs through the Furman as well.

It really is a case by case decision to use the Furman or straight into the PB. Usually good gear sounds better without being run through a conditioner and that is why Alex and I developed the Power Broker.

btw there is another thread on this
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116811.0

thanks,
lou

PS glad you like the racks, I will be posting a web page for them. I like this design and while it is expensive to build I think it justifies the price.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2015, 07:50 pm »
David,

Lou took care of explaining the Power Broker. I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit and the Power Broker and P5 are plugged into the outlet. The 2 ModWright amps and the 2 box 36.5 pre amp are plugged into the Power Broker. My source equipment (Oppo 105; power supply for the tube mod on the Oppo; SME TT; X-over for the BOWs; Apple TV; and power supply for the phono stage are plugged into the P5. The P5 and Power Broker work well together.

I believe the Noise Harvesters help to reduce noise grunge on the wiring in my home. I have dimmer switches on the lighting in my music room and they get real active when the lights are dimmed.They do help lower the noise floor and produce a more "black" background.

jonbee

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2015, 04:36 am »

Laura, that is one sweet looking and I'm sure sounding setup. Mainly Washington State gear, too. I'd love to hear it someday.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2015, 04:50 am »
Laura, that is one sweet looking and I'm sure sounding setup. Mainly Washington State gear, too. I'd love to hear it someday.

Jon,

Thank you. I am very happy with my system. I feel extremely blessed. Consider this an open invitation to come to the east side of the state and spend some time listening to vinyl. let me know if you are going to be in the Spokane area.

Best,

Laura

jonbee

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:42 am »
Jon,

Thank you. I am very happy with my system. I feel extremely blessed. Consider this an open invitation to come to the east side of the state and spend some time listening to vinyl. let me know if you are going to be in the Spokane area.

Best,

Laura
I'll make a point of it. Take care.
John

ACHiPo

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jan 2015, 01:35 pm »

The P-5 seems to work well for me. I live in an older neighborhood (homes built between 1900 and 1925 and most have knob & tube wiring unless rewired) and the overhead power lines have been in place for a long time. I have incoming power that fluctuates from 116 to 121 volts and averages 3.4% to 5.1% TDH. I use the Multiwave setting and the power out is a perfect sine wave 120V with a TDH of 0.1%. When I listen late at night after my neighbors have gone to bed, the incoming power seems more stable and the TDH is on the lower end of the range; plus the Noise Harvesters barely flash, if at all.

Laura,
Very nice system.  At the risk of derailing a rack thread, you've got a lot of power conditioning/treatment going on.  Just curious how you arrived at the choices for the P5, noise harvesters, power cables, etc.

Thanks,
Evan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jan 2015, 07:37 pm »
Laura,
Very nice system.  At the risk of derailing a rack thread, you've got a lot of power conditioning/treatment going on.  Just curious how you arrived at the choices for the P5, noise harvesters, power cables, etc.

Thanks,
Evan

Evan,

I stumbled on to PS Audio at RMAF about 8 or 9 years ago. I knew from listening to other systems that my background wasn't as quiet as some and they all seemed to have some kind of power conditioner. I bought a Power Plant Premier because I thought the idea of regenerating clean, steady power with a smooth sine wave and constant voltage made sense. When I hooked up the Power Plant it made a noticeable difference in my noise floor. I upgraded to the P5 when PS Audio came out with the new Perfect Wave series and offered a trade in. I never looked at other brands.

I bought the noise harvesters because I have dimmer switches and after reading about their purpose decided to give them a try. They seem to help, maybe not as much as the power plant, but they don't hurt. The fact you can see them working is pretty cool. I bought the Power Broker on Lou's recommendation after upgrading my amps to the KWA 150SE. I wanted something where I could plug amps without going through the regenerator/conditioner. I have a hodge podge of after market power cords that are better than stock. I can't tell any difference in performance between the PS Audio, AudioPath or Shunyata. I need anther power cord so I'm going to give WyWires a try. I like the performance of the Power Broker so it seemed the right time to try one of their power cords. I also trust Lou's recommendations in this area.

Laura

ACHiPo

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:34 am »
Laura,
Thanks for the thoughtful explanation.

Evan

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:15 am »
Look sweet!  Does the wood change the tone of the music at all compared to steel?

Is that a P5 in the rack?  How's it work for you?

Let us know if you get a different tonality from the new wood rack

Very nice

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:11 pm »

I have decided to offer this series of "custom" racks as a product, even though they are a labor intensive build the result is excellent and I feel worth the effort. We will get a page on the web site up asap.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:32 pm »

A couple more pics from a different customer!

I like systems that are 'part' of the home, in the living space with the video and all. :)

My first goals with audio were to have speakers that visually fit into a home and that fill a house with music. I get and appreciate the dedicated room, yes that is generally the 'best' sound, and the speakers can do that but there is a whole 'nother art to speakers you can 'live' with.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #35 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:46 pm »

I like systems that are 'part' of the home, in the living space with the video and all. :)

I like that you like this!  :D

It's great for parties and get togethers to have the system in the central room of the house.

Nice pics btw.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #36 on: 22 Mar 2015, 06:29 pm »
Just a small suggestion, but I have found that tall racks can interfere with imaging when placed between speakers - is doing a low/wide rack instead, an option?  Beautiful work, BTW!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 22 Mar 2015, 07:37 pm »
Just a small suggestion, but I have found that tall racks can interfere with imaging when placed between speakers - is doing a low/wide rack instead, an option?  Beautiful work, BTW!

good point!  the pics with the screen are a set that are shorter, these are about as wide for one rack as I'm comfortable with building (24" wide shelves) but a pair of short ones can easily be done.

Of course in the pics from Laura she has the racks on the side wall so that is not a problem, and in larger rooms where there is more space behind the speakers I don't feel you have much of an impact on the imaging.