Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #160 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:47 pm »
Sounds like 2-channel out of the Sony is reading the CD layer through the Monoprice.  Setting in the Sony (bitstream vice PCM)??

Phil A

« Reply #161 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:52 pm »
Thanks, Ted, I didn't know that about the paucity of 24/192 Blu-Rays.  The Monoprice thing I discovered purely by accident.  It comes with a remote that has two buttons, one for 5.1 and the other for 2 channel.  When I had the Monoprice set to 2 channel, all I could get out of SACD's was 44.1, regardless of the Sony's settings.  When I changed the Monoprice via the remote (there's no button for that on the unit itself, IIRC), I was rewarded with 24/176 for SACD playback (and the sound difference between the two is immediately noticeable).  I'll post when I resolve my issue.

If anyone else reading this thread has an answer about the Sony's settings to the question I posted earlier, I'd appreciate reading your input.  Thanks.  Cordially,

Yes - leaving the Monoprice on 5.1 is better.  I believe I posted that earlier.  I don't know what it does - perhaps just passes it through

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #162 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:01 pm »
So, leaving the Monoprice in 5.1 is the recommended setting!  Thanks Phil A (again).

So.....just a friendly reminder to make sure your SACD setting (for this threads purpose, i.e 2 channel to your DAC) to default to 2 channel SACD, and make sure you choose the 2 channel layer/title for your BluRay and DVD-Audio stuff.  If not you could end up hearing either downmixed multichannel (ugh!) or worst case only the front l/r of a 5.1 mix (ugh ugh).  Obviously for all else, like HDMI pass through for movies, etc....choose the mutlichannel layer/title.

Phil A

« Reply #163 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:26 pm »
I briefly tried HDMI pass through for movies with Blu-Ray with the Port-ta box and got no sound (passing it from the coax out to my pre/pro coax input).  I have not tried anything else except 2-channel SACD which is where I have set the default on my Modwright Oppo BDP-83.  I have the BDP-93 on the other side of the wall in the bedroom system and have the 2nd output of my Marantz SR6003 going to an HDMI cable to the main system so at some point I'll see how that goes.  I did not have tons of time doing stuff with the BDP-93 (way behind on so much) but did look at the picture on my 100 inch main screen and did listen to 2 channel SACD via analog.  I'm hoping to be able to pass through the signal to the Port-ta box for audio the way I have things connected now so that when I do have a pre/pro with HDMI I'll be able to try lots of things.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #164 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:34 pm »
I have a Sony 5400 presently at Modwright for the full upgrade.

I also have a Mac Mini/Minimax DAC system.

I saw this thread and ordered a Atlona HD570 immediately.

SACD on the Modwright vs. the Minimax via the Atlona box should be interesting.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:47 pm »
I have a Sony 5400 presently at Modwright for the full upgrade.

I also have a Mac Mini/Minimax DAC system.

I saw this thread and ordered a Atlona HD570 immediately.

SACD on the Modwright vs. the Minimax via the Atlona box should be interesting.

Paul,
The 5400 is not a candidate for this. The 5400 does not do DSD-to-hirez PCM conversion.  The HDMi outputs are for DSD (stereo, multichannel) only, unless it's a cd.  If the EDID handshake were to work and force PCM (some reports it does) then reports are that it downrez's all the way to 44k. 

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #166 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:54 pm »
Paul,
The 5400 is not a candidate for this. The 5400 does not do DSD-to-hirez PCM conversion.  The HDMi outputs are for DSD (stereo, multichannel) only, unless it's a cd.  If the EDID handshake were to work and force PCM (some reports it does) then reports are that it downrez's all the way to 44k.

I was thinking, as I was about hit "Place Order", perhaps I should read the whole thread. :)

It turns out I do have an Oppo 83 (non-SE) as well.  It is the family DVD spinner and nothing more.  So, I can still do the "experiment".

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 3 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm »
I was thinking, as I was about hit "Place Order", perhaps I should read the whole thread. :)

It turns out I do have an Oppo 83 (non-SE) as well.  It is the family DVD spinner and nothing more.  So, I can still do the "experiment".

Yes!  Oh, and the 5400 is still a slight possibility (after reading a few other forums) but it's a crapshoot...there is no actual setting for DSD vs PCM.  It's almost as if you are reliant on what the HDMI backend forces.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #168 on: 22 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm »
Thanks for answering these questions from a board newbie.     :D

I'm getting ready to setup using an (unopened) Oppo BDP-83SE and an Atlona 577.  My questions are:

(1)  Is anyone using a Logitech Transporter as their DAC in this scenario and if so, what bit rates are you connecting at?
(2)  Has anyone used a Sony BDP-S770 as the SACD transport in this scenario?  What bit rates would the Atlona be able to de-embed from SACD?

The reason I ask is that just about everything I own and care about on DVD-Audio I've already ripped an archive copy of and can play through another method.  If I could get 24/176 from my SACD collection (which would be my goal) through the Sony S770's HDMI, I would have no real reason to open the Oppo box...and would probably just sell it outright.

Thanks again.  Great board and thread here.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »
Thanks for answering these questions from a board newbie.     :D

I'm getting ready to setup using an (unopened) Oppo BDP-83SE and an Atlona 577.  My questions are:

(1)  Is anyone using a Logitech Transporter as their DAC in this scenario and if so, what bit rates are you connecting at?
(2)  Has anyone used a Sony BDP-S770 as the SACD transport in this scenario?  What bit rates would the Atlona be able to de-embed from SACD?

The reason I ask is that just about everything I own and care about on DVD-Audio I've already ripped an archive copy of and can play through another method.  If I could get 24/176 from my SACD collection (which would be my goal) through the Sony S770's HDMI, I would have no real reason to open the Oppo box...and would probably just sell it outright.

Thanks again.  Great board and thread here.

Welcome to AC and the HiRez Circle.   Sorry I didn't see your post until now; somehow my Moderator status (or even a contributor on this thread) did not kick out an email notification??

Anyway:
1) The Transporter will only do up to 24/96 via it's digital inputs (or streaming for that matter)
2)  yes, the Sony 770 (as well as the 370 and 570) all do 24/176k assuming you set the SACD as PCM and not DSD (set up menu).  The only thing the Oppo will do for you is multichannel DVD-Audio (since you've ripped, like me, all your good 2 channel DVD-Audio).
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 07:05 pm by ted_b »

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #170 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:43 pm »
Anyway:
1) The Transporter will only do up to 24/96 via it's digital inputs (or streaming for that matter)
2)  yes, the Sony 7750 (as well as the 370 and 570) all do 24/176k assuming you set the SACD as PCM and not DSD (set up menu).  The only thing the Oppo will do for you is multichannel DVD-Audio (since you've ripped, like me, all your good 2 channel DVD-Audio).

Thanks...assuming you mean the S770 I think that's the way I'm going then...I had already decided to go buy a W4S DAC-2 a while back so this just sealed the decision making process for me.

As far as ripping my 2-channel DVD-A, yeah I've ripped everything that's worth ripping (IMHO).  There's an awful lot out there that's really not worth it (and not just from a musical taste viewpoint).  Stuff out there purporting to be hi-res that's nothing more than redbook engineered onto a DVD-A disc and called "24/96 hi-resolution."  Sometimes it's not even semi-decent redbook quality.  The same can be said for some of the early SACD releases too.

On the other hand, a few of the 24/48 DVD-A I decided to give a spin turned out much better than I expected them to (the LOTR soundtrack, for example).  Thanks again for your help.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
Oops, yes edited it to mean "Sony 770".  Let us know how it works out, please.  Thx

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 28 Jan 2011, 02:15 am »
Phil A, etc....I need some feedback.

I have someone over on the CA forum that is saying that Monoprice is telling him that if the backend handshake is done by a display device or some HDMI backend that itself is not capable of 24/192k then the HDMi de-embedder will only show 48k.  ?  is this true?  Does anyone here that is using a de-embedder have it handshake with a device that is not itself capable of 24/192 audio (i.e not a hirez receiver, etc)?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #173 on: 28 Jan 2011, 03:03 am »
Nevermind, directly plugged in my Sammy DLp pj (i.e bypassed reciever) and all is well.  Oppo sending 24/88 SACD as normal.  Monoprice is sending bad info, or their box does not do what mine does..??  And mine has no EDID capture capability, just simple handshake.

metronet

« Reply #174 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:07 am »

yes, the Sony 770 (as well as the 370 and 570) all do 24/176k assuming you set the SACD as PCM and not DSD (set up menu).

I still don't get how 176khz is achieved... perhaps you could help me understand:

1) With the monoprice HDMI switch in 5.1 the 24bit/176khz output is in 2 channel stereo?
2) Does that mean it is reading the 5.1 track from the disc and down-mixing to 2 channel?
3) Are you alluding to that this is a bug of the monoprice switch that it can output highRes content via the digital output while others are normally disabled or mute?  :D

Thanks,

Phil A

« Reply #175 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:19 pm »
Ted - missed the question.  Been breaking in a new preamp (Modwright 36.5DM) over the last few days.  Yes they (Monoprice) are given bad info.  I can tell the device works as well when I tried sending DSD or PCM from the BDP-83 to the Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro.  When I've forgotten to remove the switch it will lock and on off the signal as the audio is being stripped to the coax output and it will only let the video through.

Phil A

« Reply #176 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:27 pm »
I still don't get how 176khz is achieved... perhaps you could help me understand:

1) With the monoprice HDMI switch in 5.1 the 24bit/176khz output is in 2 channel stereo?
2) Does that mean it is reading the 5.1 track from the disc and down-mixing to 2 channel?
3) Are you alluding to that this is a bug of the monoprice switch that it can output highRes content via the digital output while others are normally disabled or mute?  :D

Thanks,

1) I don't have 24/176.4 (just 88.2) with the Oppo but I set the player to output stereo SACD converted to PCM and I've found 5.1 seems to sound better.  They both (2 channel or 5.1 channel) will pass the 2-channel hi-rez but the 5.1 seems to sound better to me.

2) I have not tried mulit-channel SACD.  Am taking it to a 2 channel DAC so for me there is not a point.  The purpose of using such a device is to use the good 2-channel output stage in your DAC.

3) For hi-rez SACD and DVD-A (except that the Oppo does it on DVD-A) due to copy protection output for hi-rez digitally for SACD was with HDMI (a one way digital connection) and not until HDMI version 1.2 and later.  This allows one to pass hi-rez via a normal digital output.

PS - welcome to the forum

metronet

« Reply #177 on: 29 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm »

3) For hi-rez SACD and DVD-A (except that the Oppo does it on DVD-A) due to copy protection output for hi-rez digitally for SACD was with HDMI (a one way digital connection) and not until HDMI version 1.2 and later.  This allows one to pass hi-rez via a normal digital output.

PS - welcome to the forum

Phil A, thank you for the informative reply. It's much appreciated.

If I understand it correct, the monorprice HDMI switch basically just outputs hi-rez via SPDIF. I guess what I am trying to confirm is the maximun resolution of it - is it 88.2 or 176? This could very much be the perfect solution for me to finally enjoy my SACD collections in it's hi-rez format closes to it's original.

Thanks,

Phil A

« Reply #178 on: 29 Jan 2011, 07:20 pm »

If I understand it correct, the monorprice HDMI switch basically just outputs hi-rez via SPDIF. I guess what I am trying to confirm is the maximun resolution of it - is it 88.2 or 176? This could very much be the perfect solution for me to finally enjoy my SACD collections in it's hi-rez format closes to it's original.

Thanks,

I know the thread is long but I posted way back that it has passed 192kHz from DVD-A

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #179 on: 29 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm »

Thanks,

Metronet, my initial review post (I'm the OP) stated clearly (I hope) that these de-embedders are for PCM'd SACD (24/88 or 24/176 depending on your player), DVD-A (up to 24/192, although you really don't need this box for that, cuz in most cases a player's own coax may suffice) and BluRay (up to 24/192).  They are stereo only (meaning no digital multichannel output except of course HDMI) and they don't downmix or do any processsing other than de-embed.