FR125SR discontinued

BPoletti

FR125SR discontinued
« on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:21 am »
I'm REALLY P.O.'ed about this driver being discontinued without notice.  This is the worst kind of customer service. 

JohnR

Re: FR125SR discontinued
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2011, 08:09 am »
 :scratch:

Sales were probably tapering off with all the interest in offerings from the likes of Mark Audio, TB, PE getting in on the game etc etc. Presumably they decided that investing in another production run would have not been economically viable. And the website does say they have a new design in the works...

What is that you think they should have done?

Oh - if you really want some, looks like the Australian distributor has some in stock, others might too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:27 pm »
I owned a pair for some time, I liked them when I had them, but sold them off last summer, as I took a new direction in a second system.

What kind of notice did you expect to receive?  Are you a repeat buyer?  Do you design speakers around this driver?  Did you try to get service on one?

Just trying to figure out what the issue is.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:29 pm »
JohnR's comments are valid across all FR drivers -- there is the huge pressure of product development, and fierce competition in the rapidly evolving FR segment.

If you survey the market, there are few, if any, widely available FR drivers that  were available 4-5 years ago, that are still with us today. Even ones with the same model numbers have evolved.

In the case of the FR125 (i hope i'm not stepping out of line Bob), there is another very significant factor. Due to shake-ups in the OEM manufacturer industry in China due to the current economic slump, it is no longer possible to make the FR125.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2011, 11:48 am »
Good point Dave.  Unless you live in a cave and forage berries from a steady state, isolated environment, you're very interconnected with those you have no control over.

Life is about change and the only constant seems to be that the rate of change keeps increasing.

BPoletti

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2011, 03:32 am »
JohnR's comments are valid across all FR drivers -- there is the huge pressure of product development, and fierce competition in the rapidly evolving FR segment.

If you survey the market, there are few, if any, widely available FR drivers that  were available 4-5 years ago, that are still with us today. Even ones with the same model numbers have evolved.

In the case of the FR125 (i hope i'm not stepping out of line Bob), there is another very significant factor. Due to shake-ups in the OEM manufacturer industry in China due to the current economic slump, it is no longer possible to make the FR125.

dave

Dave,

I got the low down from Bob.  It would have been nice to have some advanced notification, but I understand the circumstances. 

And yes, I was designing a speaker around the FR125SR.  It really was a good platform for development. 

Bill

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2011, 11:35 pm »
Dave,

I got the low down from Bob.  It would have been nice to have some advanced notification, but I understand the circumstances. 

And yes, I was designing a speaker around the FR125SR.  It really was a good platform for development. 

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just when you were getting close. These things happen more often than many imagine.

Best Regards,
TerryO