Low distortion full range driver

bssk

Low distortion full range driver
« on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:51 pm »
I am planning to use a full range driver for my next speaker project, as I do not want a cross-over from 150Hz to 6kHz. Which full range driver has the lowest distortion? I am thinking of the Audience A3 Full Range driver, Jordan Drivers etc...

I am planning to use a Vifa XT25 tweeter for high frequencies. I have read that it has the lowest distortion among tweeters.

I am still in search of a low distortion woofer.

JohnR

Re: Low distortion full range driver
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:07 am »
The Jordan does perform well in that range, there are some measurements here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/5.5test/

At lower cost the Mark Audio offerings might be a good option. As a general rule, a larger driver will have less excursion and thus lower distortion - all other things being equal etc. So I probably wouldn't go to 3" for your criteria.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:42 am »
At lower cost the Mark Audio offerings might be a good option.

Don't know about measured distortion (based on Geddes, not that important), but Mark is a stickler for detail and i bet they measure low.

One thing i do know is that all the Gen 2 drivers i've heard (Alpair 7/10/12) are easily better than the JX92. And if the early prototype of the A6P i have is an indicator the new Alpair 6s will be of similar quality to the larger Alpairs in a 3" format.

Mark is intentionally pricing the his units very agressivly -- they actually cost more to make than the Jordans.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:37 am »
"I bet they measure low" ?? :lol: Come off it Dave. Measurements are measurements, surely - if they exist then provide them please, otherwise... I dunno, that's a silly claim, if you ask me. The OP is also asking about 150-6k, so hearing them fullrange in unspecified boxes /conditions just doesn't... really have that much relevance??

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:54 am »
I haven't seen any measurements (and i don't really care, i tend to agree with Geddes on this). The Japanese did a review of the Alpair 12 which may have some (linked, i believe, on Mark's site), and the German magazines may have of the 7 & the 12, No-one has 6s or 10s yet, so you won't see any data on those yet. Mark does not measure for distortion, but is extremely concerned about linearity and even distribution of microresonances, He is also really anal about precision and quality of manufacture .. having one time taken a small sledge and destroyed an entire run of 500 drivers because he wasn't happy with the quality of manufacture.

The hunch about low distortion comes from extrapolating the precision of the manufacture, the advanced nature of the cones, and suspensions (the spider being most of that, and it is pretty special). And from the incredible downward dynamic range that one hears when listening to these drivers.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:59 am »
Not sure what Geddes says, that must be some item of gospel that I missed. What does Mark measure then - how is the loop closed? Just curious, really, I don't have a horse in this race (I own both, but I have no apples to apples comparisons).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:22 am »
Not sure what Geddes says, that must be some item of gospel that I missed. What does Mark measure then - how is the loop closed? Just curious, really, I don't have a horse in this race (I own both, but I have no apples to apples comparisons).

Geddes did a blind, peer reveiwed paper that shows that there is no correlation between distortion & speaker quality until such time as it gets real large -- IIRC something like 25%.

As well any distortion measurements are suspect without consideration of the amplifier/speaker as a system. It has been shown that an amplifer with high distortion driving a loudspeaker can have have a lower system distortion than a low distortion amplfier driving the same speaker... an instance from which we can only conclude that the measurements themselves can only be confined to situations the same (or at least very similar) to the test conditions.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:33 am »
So to choose a driver (as per the OP), what should the criteria be?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:38 am »
If one could nail that down to measurements then things would be a lot simplier.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:50 am »
OK fine :rotflmao:

(Do you have a driver recommendation for the OP...?)

chrisby

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:09 pm »
OK fine :rotflmao:

(Do you have a driver recommendation for the OP...?)

the musical relevance of measured distortion in drivers is among numerous topics that have been master-debated ad pukem for as along as I've been reading/participating in audio forums, and I doubt where will ever be consensus, so can we set that aside for the moment?

since Jordan was mentioned by the OP, who seems to be polling for candidates for wide-band "mid-range" unit in a 3-way system, I'd suggest the Alpair 7.  I've heard it and the Jordan JX92 (although not directly compared), and can highly recommend the former. 

If bssk  hasn't actually heard the cited Vifa (he states "I've read that it..."), I might also suggest another approach - a smaller widebander as mid/tweeter with higher XO point to mid-woofer   ( e.g. LF driver of choice @ 250-300Hz ->Jordan JX6 / Alpair 6 )  I've heard this topology (FAST) work very successfully, bi-amped with line level XO.   

This approach can result in a lower parts count / cost in terms of drivers / XO complexity (if passive), but does require at least 4 channels of amplification.  Of course, it's been my experience that for most truly addicted audiophools/DIYers (such as those reading and posting at forums such as these), the real problem with "finding another amplifier" is " which one from my stable would I want to take for a spin this week / or will sync best with the rest of the system?"

JohnR - you've mentioned a new model of Fountek in another thread - sorry I've not reread that in full, but have you had an opportunity to hear or play with that one?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:34 pm »
JohnR - you've mentioned a new model of Fountek in another thread - sorry I've not reread that in full, but have you had an opportunity to hear or play with that one?

Chris,

we should have 4 of those arriving today.

dave

chrisby

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
John? (sorry if you've already commented on this elsewhere)

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:03 am »
Hi Chris - no, sorry, got them a few days ago but it takes me a while to get things into boxes :lol: Funny little things - I'll be using them in 1.5L vented (as satelites). At least that's the plan.

Alpair 12 looks interesting too.

chrisby

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:42 pm »
Hi Chris - no, sorry, got them a few days ago but it takes me a while to get things into boxes :lol: Funny little things - I'll be using them in 1.5L vented (as satelites). At least that's the plan.

yup they're certainly "cute" - the quality of cast basket is certainly nicer that the cheap stamped frames on budget series Fostex - but that ain't necessarily the whole story?   :?

Alpair 12 looks interesting too.

funny you should mention that - I'll hopefully be buttoning up a first draft of a small vented enclosure for this driver, and Pensil for A7 by end of the weekend

doorman

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2010, 07:49 pm »
Looking forward to your feedback on the above, Chris!
Best, Don

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2010, 02:06 am »
yup they're certainly "cute" - the quality of cast basket is certainly nicer that the cheap stamped frames on budget series Fostex - but that ain't necessarily the whole story?   :?

No... I'm not sure what you're saying - ? :dunno:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2010, 02:39 am »
No... I'm not sure what you're saying - ? :dunno:

Comments based on just physical examination of physical attributes FF85K and FR88ex:
FR88 has nice open cast basket, FF85 has (engineered) stamped steel basket
FF85 has WAY bigger magnet
FF85 has much more advanced surround and attachment (UDR surround from the Sigma series)
cones: advanced paper vrs metal
dustcap: more thot gone into FF85 i think (directly attached to end of voice coil)

They fit the cabinets i was hoping to put them in. Need to adjust the posrts and hook em up and we can have a listen.

dave

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2010, 12:11 pm »
Hm, the plot thickens, I have the FR89EX.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2010, 11:09 pm »
Hm, the plot thickens, I have the FR89EX.

Physically pretty much the same beast. 89 is 4 ohm vrs 8 ohm, a bit higher cone mass (due to coating?), and a bit lower Q (so maybe won't be able to go quite as low).

dave