Daytons or Tang Band?

acwd1950

Daytons or Tang Band?
« on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:01 pm »
I am thinking about building a new pair of full range speakers. I have built a pair of BIBs using 4 inch tang bands. They are ok but I think a bigger full range driver would be better on the bass end. I am looking at the 6.5 or 8 inch daytons because of the efficiency. but dont know if the tang bands for a higher price would be better. Plan on driving these speakers with a 10 to 15 watt per channel or less. I got a RCA SET amp I would like to use and it is low power. What kind of box would be good for the daytons? folded horns? I am really new to full range group so opinions are needed. Here is a link to the driver I am thinking about using.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-346 or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-344

Thanks
Steve

vilbig

Re: Daytons or Tang Band?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:35 pm »

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:09 pm »
I have used both in chang, like the tb better.  Low end and ability to go to 20k is nice.  There is a rise in the area above 2 k u may want to take care of

acwd1950

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:07 pm »
Chang? Never heard of that? Got a link to some plans on that? I do like the looks of Curts design. May go that route.

Thanks
Steve

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:34 pm »
Search my name and go to frugal horn site...half chang pdf

acwd1950

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:33 pm »
Is this the design you used?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Half-Chang-map-170608.pdf

If so, did you use those dimensions or did you have to change them for the Daytons or TB?

Thanks
Steve

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:45 pm »
That is the exact one, made like it states.  The TB is not a perfect driver for it, and was suggested by Dave and ??? Planet 10 that I could have used the wk225 from Fostex which would have worked better.  It does not have the top end and a tweeter may be needed, but I like the final product enough I left the TB's in there.  If you can go with a double mouth, see the frugal horn site, it would give you a lower bottom end.  I really like the TB drives thus I put it in a cabinet I could make, it turned out ok, perfect, no but still enjoy listening to them.  My son has them in his room will a Decware amp or a Virtue amp with volume and an iTouch for sound.  He digs it.  Hit the web below..

http://web.me.com/jon.parkhurst/The_Parkhursts/Welcome.html

acwd1950

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2011, 01:51 pm »
The double horn version of the half chang doesnt look like it increases the lower response at all according to the graphs. The half chang does show if the driver was in the middle of the baffle then the response is smoother thru 1K. Maybe moving the driver in the baffle is the key to making the driver sound better at lower end? Maybe some box tweaks would help it also. Is there any formulas to figure box sizes and port openings to different drivers? Nice pics by the way. They do look nice.

Steve

jparkhur

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2011, 02:46 pm »
Hit the frugal horn site. A double bass reflex sounds good

chrisby

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2011, 07:47 pm »
The double horn version of the half chang doesnt look like it increases the lower response at all according to the graphs. The half chang does show if the driver was in the middle of the baffle then the response is smoother thru 1K. Maybe moving the driver in the baffle is the key to making the driver sound better at lower end? Maybe some box tweaks would help it also. Is there any formulas to figure box sizes and port openings to different drivers? Nice pics by the way. They do look nice.

Steve

IINM even as far back as the earliest "Spawn" of original FH, the family were designed by Scott using MJK worksheets and drivers' T/S parameters, and simple formulas to recalculate  enclosure variables for drivers of your choice might not yield optimal results.