Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins

Dagoods

Re: Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2021, 01:33 pm »
Well I made some great progress on staining the veneer.  I got 2 coats of stain done Saturday. But got slowed down by a hospital visit for a kidney stone Saturday. Wife got upset with me because I wouldn’t go until I got that second coat finished! Can’t understand why she thinks I am crazy sometimes.  :scratch: So no lifting, bending, or anything for the next couple of weeks.

Had planned to get them to a cabinet shop close to home that is going to do the baffles and base in satin black. The veneer will be done in clear lacquer. The stain is black cherry. Had it all lined up to drop them off this week but with the restrictions they will have to wait another week. Also give me time  to decide if I want another coat of stain.

Please keep in mind my first attempt at veneer and stain. Learned a lot and already looking for a few other projects for the left over veneer.

Opinions are appreciated and welcomed!

First coat of stain.

Second coat of stain lifting restrictions limit me to 3 pictures but will post a few more when I get a helper to move them.

mikeb

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2021, 02:27 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:

They look great!

Possibly a 3rd coat would make them so dark you would start to lose the contrast from the grain. Maybe try it on a scrap piece that has good grain variance to see how a 3rd coat looks before you go too far and can't go back on the subs. It all depends on your preferences I guess.

Squeaks

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2021, 02:41 am »
How you coming along?

Dagoods

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2021, 06:40 pm »
Progress was slow the last couple of weeks due to a medical problem.

But the good news is the stains all done and dropped them off at a furniture shop yesterday for the black and clear coats. Now the hard part is waiting on them to finish. Estimate 4 to 6 weeks before they are ready.

So the wait begins  :duh:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2021, 02:28 am »
Great job! Looks like a nice system they will be going into as well.  :thumb:

Squeaks

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:22 am »
Sorry to hear about the health issue, Hopefully it’s resolved soon. I got my crossovers installed and triples running until it warms up outside. Then I’ll tear down and paint.

Dagoods

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2021, 01:20 pm »
Great job! Looks like a nice system they will be going into as well.  :thumb:

Thanks it's been an interesting few months and learned a lot along the way. All tube equipment Prima Luna, Manley Snappers, and Wright phono stage. 

Dagoods

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2021, 01:23 pm »
Sorry to hear about the health issue, Hopefully it’s resolved soon. I got my crossovers installed and triples running until it warms up outside. Then I’ll tear down and paint.

No worries feeling much better everyday.

I fought the urge to wire mine up so many times. I bet they sound awesome! Hope you get warm weather soon. Down in Texas we are fortunate enough to get nice weather in the winter months.

Dagoods

« Reply #28 on: 8 Apr 2021, 02:08 pm »
The triple subs are finished!

Sent the cabinets to a furniture shop for the black and clear coats a couple of weeks ago. Got one of them back last Friday but they had to repair some damage they caused on the second one. Gave me time to focus on the one cabinet and I spent the weekend adjusting the settings. By Tuesday I had the bass blended in with the Maggie’s. Sounded amazing and tight. I got the second cabinet back yesterday. So I spent the evening installing the drivers and wiring it up. Had about an hour and a half listening time. It’s a little muddy and it’s going to take some adjustments to blend them together.

I mostly listen to vinyl and first impressions is there is so much depth and now the bass fills the room. The Maggie’s (1.6’s with Danny's crossover upgrade) blend well with the subs. They seemed to open up a bit more and I noticed the mid bass has more punch. Very pleased with what I am hearing and can’t wait until they get a few hours on them. I learned a lot and glad I decided to do veneer. It was a ton of extra work but I really like the way they turned out. Even impressed the wife.

Little about my room. It's 14x16 hard walled with wood paneling . I have floor to ceiling bass traps in the front corners and panels on the side and front walls. I have run REW to adjust the panels locations and have the room setup to my liking. The Maggie's and triple subs are 5' out from the front wall. Unfortunately I have to share the room with my home theater for now and a Outlaw sub is behind each.

So all that’s left is the No Rez and grills. I will be seeing Danny in a couple of weeks. Going with a friend of mine and his Klipsch La Scala’s for Danny to design some crossovers. Will pick up the No Rez  then. No rush on the grills.

Big thank you to Danny and Killian for all your help and amazing products!

Appreciate all comments and suggestions!

Time to enjoy!

]

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2021, 02:18 pm »
Those turned out absolutely gorgeous!  :o

And im sure they pair absolutely well with your Maggies!

Dagoods

« Reply #30 on: 8 Apr 2021, 03:07 pm »
Thank you Hobbs! I've been following your projects and appreciate your kind words.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2021, 05:26 pm »
Those are beautiful!  Really nice work man. 

To get a better blend, try moving the subs so they are slightly behind the Maggies.

Squeaks

« Reply #32 on: 8 Apr 2021, 09:25 pm »
They look great. Got mine coated, just waiting on the no Rez. My Maggie’s decided to start delaminating. So I got to tear those down on my next day off.

Dagoods

« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2021, 09:48 pm »
Those are beautiful!  Really nice work man. 

To get a better blend, try moving the subs so they are slightly behind the Maggies.

Thanks Tyson!

unfortunately I have a home theater sub behind them.  I will be working on placement for the Maggie's and subs soon. Will be moving the Maggie's out some more. I made some matching bases for them to sit on. And moving the sub amps too. Causing me to rearrange the whole room to fit everything in.

Dagoods

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2021, 09:52 pm »
They look great. Got mine coated, just waiting on the no Rez. My Maggie’s decided to start delaminating. So I got to tear those down on my next day off.

Thanks Squeaks Much more work than I anticipated but really like the way they turned out.

I like the clean look yours have and I see you have all drivers pointed forward. Hope you can get the Maggie's taken care of too. Sounds like a big job that I hope I never have to do.

Barryg443

« Reply #35 on: 9 Apr 2021, 03:10 am »
Great job Squeaks!

Barry

emailtim

« Reply #36 on: 9 Apr 2021, 06:19 am »
Great Build !!!   They turned out excellent.  Your 1.6's should love them.

Squeaks

« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2021, 09:52 am »
Hope you can get the Maggie's taken care of too. Sounds like a big job that I hope I never have to do.

I’m not exactly looking forward to it, But it should be a nice weekend project. One day when you get your amplifiers dialed in, I’m would like to see what the settings are.

Great job Squeaks!

Barry

Thanks Barry.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2021, 02:13 pm »
Great job! Bet they blend well with the Maggies. I would try removing the HT subs. I would bet the OB's sound as good or better and will free up some space.

mscetal

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2021, 03:18 pm »
Dave, these look great.  When I was emailing Killian he used your photos of your cabinets as a example for triples that can be veneered.  I told Killian how great they looked! 

I am starting the process (everything is a process for me!) for my own triple H frame build.  I have ordered the cabinets and am planning to veneer in oak finish to match my Maggie 3.7 finish (oak with off white grill cloth).  I, like you, have never veneered anything before and am looking forward to learning.

I just wanted to let you know that it is inspiring to know you were successful and I will try to post pics to help inspire others.

Mike