Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2024, 02:48 pm »
It would be great it we had a sticky thread focusing on "Painting / Finishing MDF - Best Practices" as there are a ton of little tips scattered among build threads over the years.  Also, it would be fun watching experienced woodworkers debate the pros / cons of their favorite glue.  :lol:

I've written out step-by-step instructions probably a dozen times to help people along the way, and yet I've been too lazy to make a sticky Best Practices post. Lol. You're right though, it would be amazing to have one central location for a good tutorial. Peter has done amazing with his cabinet glue up videos (thank you again by the way!) so I just need to sit and make a good post with photos and hopefully people find it helpful. I'll have some free time around work next week so I'll try and post up something then.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2024, 02:55 pm »
.  Also, it would be fun watching experienced woodworkers debate the pros / cons of their favorite glue.  :lol:

It all tastes like poo. I think glue color is the best way to decide.

Huskerbryce

« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2024, 03:19 pm »
Thanks for all the insights.  It seems painting and finishing is more of a science and art than I even thought.  Ive tried painting mdf in the past with mixed results.  Usually I veneer with wood.  This time around I am hoping to do more of a gloss black finish with a high sheen.  Obviously I dont know how to accomplish that in my garage.  Sounds like it would be next to impossible to do without a professional and associated paints, primers and equipment.  I appreciate the advice.  Ill check out the past step by step threads.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2024, 04:02 pm »
Gloss black can be accomplished with conversion finishes formulated for woodworking, but supply chain is more obscure unless you have access to cabinet and furniture industry suppliers. Both would require spray equipment and a good respirator.

You could also talk to cabinet shops well versed in custom work as well as body shops. The key to any good finish is the prep work. Paint will hide nothing in the way of surface flaws. It's generally harder to get a good painted finish than it is to finish wood or wood veneer. That sometimes surprises people.

sledwards

« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2024, 11:04 pm »
My Oticas were professionally painted at custom auto shop. They used Evercoat Slick Sand as the primer (2 to 3 coats, final sand to 800). It is polyester based and uses an activator.

nlitworld

« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2024, 12:03 am »
My Oticas were professionally painted at custom auto shop. They used Evercoat Slick Sand as the primer (2 to 3 coats, final sand to 800). It is polyester based and uses an activator.

Evercoat Slick Sand is a great option. Polyester primers are basically sprayable body filler, will coat and evenly absorb nicely into the mdf and generally easy to spray with a standard 1.8mm nozzle spray gun. Other heavier building polyester primers like their Super Build are great for filling and sanding, but usually require an even bigger 2.2 nozzle spray gun.  :o Talk about a fire hose!

From there, it's a quick and easy urethane sealer (non-sanding thin primer) and right into spraying color.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2024, 12:53 am »
I've written out step-by-step instructions probably a dozen times to help people along the way, and yet I've been too lazy to make a sticky Best Practices post. Lol. You're right though, it would be amazing to have one central location for a good tutorial. Peter has done amazing with his cabinet glue up videos (thank you again by the way!) so I just need to sit and make a good post with photos and hopefully people find it helpful. I'll have some free time around work next week so I'll try and post up something then.

I think that would help a lot of people... and probably give many the confidence to build their first speaker.

Huskerbryce

« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2024, 06:48 am »
Peter, Rusty, Jmimac, Nlitworld, sledwards, tyson and anyone I forgot, thanks for all the info and insights.  I looked into auto shops painting them along with some woodworking shops.  Everyone basically led me to a path of $2000 to do it.  My DIY mind is averse to spending that kind of cash to let someone else paint “my” diy speaker.  Im going to do this in my shop.  Im no pro, probably wont be even be close to perfect but here we go.  Leaning toward something between a piano gloss finish and a soggy looking awful pitted matte finish.  Lol.  We shall see what I can do.  I have a few ideas to mask my “suck” imperfections.  Thinking a high build primer, lots of sanding, lots of time, lots of impatience and lots of minor mistakes leading to a finish that is livable.  Any ideas or help or opinions with specific ideas or products will help.  Thanks.

nlitworld

« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2024, 07:09 am »
I'll message you with some help on a DIY non-suck paint job  :lol: including part numbers and step by step info. I'll also have some time at work this week to make a sticky post on DIY automotive finish. Biggest general piece of advice is to practice patience and pay attention. After that, just knowing that worst case sand it down and do it again.  :duh: Also $2K is a little bit steep so most shops were likely pricing you out to not have to take on the project. Bumpers and fenders are generally more profitable.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2024, 11:51 am »
....Thinking a high build primer, lots of sanding, lots of time, lots of impatience and lots of minor mistakes leading to a finish that is livable.  Any ideas or help or opinions with specific ideas or products will help.  Thanks.
If you have spray equipment and some experience, no reason not to tackle it yourself. If you have neither, consider the duratex product. I have a friend who recently built a nice pair of speakers and finished them with it that turned out quite nice. He used a foam roller which minimizes the texture but leaves just enough to hide imperfections and leaves a satin sheen. He also tinted it. The finished speakers in his room look (and sound) great.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #50 on: 26 May 2024, 01:47 pm »
If you have spray equipment and some experience, no reason not to tackle it yourself. If you have neither, consider the duratex product. I have a friend who recently built a nice pair of speakers and finished them with it that turned out quite nice. He used a foam roller which minimizes the texture but leaves just enough to hide imperfections and leaves a satin sheen. He also tinted it. The finished speakers in his room look (and sound) great.

Thanks for sharing this about Duratex / making it smoother.  I've wondered how that would turn out. 

@Huskerbryce Also do a search on here for "General Finishes Milk Paint".  That's used for refinishing cabinets / furniture.  I haven't seen the finished product in person or used it... but it's in my pile of stuff to dig into.  I'm also going to build a pair of NX-Otica and will probably finish them in white.  Mike Lundy has used the Milk Paint here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135561.40

I wonder how the Duratex would compare to the General Finishes paint for ease of application / looking good and hiding things. Another thing to consider, if it goes on easy and is not meant to be a perfectly smooth / mirror gloss finish, it may make it easier to touch up a spot here or there down the road.

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/water-based-paints-glazes/milk-paint

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2024, 06:35 pm »
Rusty,

Are those Joe Rasmussen’s Elsinore speakers?

Best,
Anand.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 03:09 am »
Rusty,

Are those Joe Rasmussen’s Elsinore speakers?

Best,
Anand.
Yes they are.  :D