Looking into building a 3 channel Amp with Ncores

rascal

Looking into building a 3 channel Amp with Ncores
« on: 6 May 2012, 09:45 pm »
Guys need your inputs here..

Instead of 3 powercords/inlets and separate monoblocks, I have been thinking about using 1 larger box with 3 NC400 and 3 (or 2?) SMPS600.  It would be easy to leverage existing boxes available  :)

Any feedback? Also how easy is it to incorporate a trigger (coming from processor) in the amp?

I can solder but I have never built an amp- but building amp from Ncore seems to be very easy  8)

R

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Looking into building a 3 channel Amp with Ncores
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2012, 10:59 pm »
Congrats!  Sure would be a killer amp.

This is far from "building an amp."  If I can do it, you can most certainly do it.   :thumb:

I'd use one SMPS for each channel as I wouldn't sacrifice the mains and give the center channel all the juice.  What speakers are you using?  That will tell us a lot.

rascal

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2012, 05:30 am »

B&W speakers with northcreek Xover.  I use joule electra tube pre and this worked well with ICE amp and custom ICs.

Biggest effort is to get large case of 3 sections for each channel. I have a long lead time anyway  :P

TomS thank you for the pics.

Oh how can I not mention Mr. Jtwrace for volunteering  :duh:

teetee

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 03:23 pm »
Can you show some pictures of your case if you got one for 3 channel AMP?
thanks

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2012, 06:47 pm »
+1  I am considering ordering 3 Ncores and 3 supplies to build a single-chassis tri-mono amp array.

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2012, 07:49 pm »
Any feedback? Also how easy is it to incorporate a trigger (coming from processor) in the amp?...

available from -
http://www.siliconray.com/mechanical/enclosures/re4310w-430x100x330-aluminum-enclosure.html
its 17"x 4" x 13" and would easily accommodate lots of nCores.
as to the remote trigger, you could leave the switching power supplies controlled by a main switch, and use a remote trigger (usually 12vdc) to control a relay that would ground the nAMP line(s) to turn the amps on.
FWIW

Edit: You could route the nAMP lines through a  3 position switch, with one position 'ON' connecting the nAMP lines to ground, the second to 'OFF' floating the nAMP lines, and the 3rd position 'Remote' controling those lines through the relay and above. That 2nd position 'OFF' is quite useful, in that it a flick away from either flanking operating position, allowing you to shut down the amps only to change amp connections. The power supplies would still be controlled through the main on-off switch, and when nominally on, consuming idle losses of 5 watts per SMPS600 supply. [Its also possible to put the power supplies themselves in 'standby' mode, but more complicated]
« Last Edit: 25 May 2012, 03:27 am by Occam »

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2012, 02:58 pm »
I love the look of that chassis.  :thumb:

Hank

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012, 03:33 pm »
Does anyone know if there's a group buy in the works?
This one looks good also:

And I noticed this one has a Bamboo front panel option:

Hank

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 12:12 pm »
Okay, I now assume there's not enough interest in a 3 channel size enclosure to do a group buy. :(