Maraschino is HERE!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Maraschino is HERE!
« on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:58 pm »
After some listening with various speakers and sources, the results are in....

First, I must say that after a session listening to Pink Floyd, The Wall, some interesting results were heard.  There's so much detail in this album. So many nuances for such an old recording!  The Maraschino really opens up sounds like the metal of cymbals and the micro detail that so many amps leave behind.  I'm biased, of course, but there's no doubt the sound is like new, revealing the capabilities of the speakers due to tight control at ALL frequencies.  Rock solid, louder than expected, and ultra clean at any level.

Second, imaging is nothing short of astonishing.  There is abundant "air".

This amp was designed to have extended bandwidth and extremely low output impedance so it can drive down to 1 ohm at all frequencies. Unfortunately, I don't have a pair of difficult-to-drive ESLs handy at the moment.  I bet the low impedance at high frequencies would work well with Gallo Reference speakers.

By the way, I'm currently driving the Maraschinos (mono blocks) with switching power supplies. I was hesitant at first to do this, but the sound is smooth as silk. I was worried that the current (as in amps) requirement would overwhelm the supplies, but due to the high efficiency, peaks are coming through with authority and no hiccups.

Well back to listening.  Can't wait to bring these to a rave sometime soon.  Thanks for reading.

-Tommy O

decal

Re: Maraschino is HERE!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm »
There's so much detail in this album. So many nuances for such an old recording! 

You've never heard these details before? Interesting.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:09 pm »
I love it....!!!!! :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:53 pm »
You've never heard these details before? Interesting.

Maybe Tommy is hearing things now that you've never heard in the recording.
Interesting indeed.

decal

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2013, 05:38 pm »
Ah, the fanboys are awake !!!!!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2013, 05:43 pm »
Ah, the fanboys are awake !!!!!

Not a fanboy and I've never even heard one of his amps.
I just get tired of people making snide remarks when they don't have a clue.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2013, 05:58 pm »
Maybe Tommy is hearing things now that you've never heard in the recording.
Interesting indeed.
Maybe.  Once Tommy posts those AP or dScope measurements that will confirm everything. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:39 pm »
Hi Tommy,

Sorry about the ot, looking forward to some listening impressions of the new amps.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:44 pm »
I could care less.

One thing does baffle me though (more than one actually), if you are such a big measurements guy why do you seem to buy into the flavor of the month club so much (and expensive ones at that)?
Oh, didn't know that I did.  Thanks for the info though.   :duh:

Trismos

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2013, 09:13 pm »
Oh, didn't know that I did.  Thanks for the info though.   :duh:

Take it somewhere else.

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm »
Maybe.  Once Tommy posts those AP or dScope measurements that will confirm everything.

I'm still waiting for the scope measurements on that Dude amp you were shilling not long ago.  I guess measurements only matter for some manufacturers.  Give it a rest and sling your BS somewhere else.  Besides, I don't think Cherry is offering a special deal for promoters.  Probably not a good amp for you.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:22 pm »
Hi Tommy,

Sorry about the ot, looking forward to some listening impressions of the new amps.

I'm looking forward to opinions after some serious listening, by others of course.

Much like the larger Cherry design, these amps were developed to perform well on the bench THEN tweaked for sound.  That's what matters to us, although the measurements are very good after tweaking.

Thanks.

-Tommy

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2013, 02:10 am »
Really psyched to hear these Tommy! Congrats on getting them ready!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:10 pm »
Can't we all just get along?

Everybody here has the right to their opinion, so please no nastiness!  Thank you  :)

Regarding measurements, of course they are on the way.  I just want to let everyone know that we don't want to publish measurements from some ideal bench setting using parts or equipment (aside from the audio analyzer) that you don't buy when you purchase our products.  We've seen this quite often and don't play that game.  "Specmanship" is a dirty word....

Some numbers on the way soon, but we can say that the capabilities of our new hardware design go well beyond the initial application.  For example, we can get a lot more power out of the Maraschino with different power supplies, but doing so leads to a compromise in the sound.  As a manufacturer, we are most interested in the "blow you away" sound, not getting the highest power output possible or the lowest THD+N at 1kHz while driving a purely resistive load.

Trust me when I say that the Maraschino sounds THAT GOOD, at least on the speakers I've heard it on.

In other news, I might be mixing the superbowl with some "off the street" listening tests.  This way you're not only going on my opinion.   

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:12 pm »
Really psyched to hear these Tommy! Congrats on getting them ready!

Thanks, Barry.  Hope you can listen to the Maraschino this weekend.  I'll send you a PM....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2013, 04:31 pm »
OK, some measurement results so far (preliminary):

SNR is about 120dB.  We hoped for more, but one of the tweaks for best sound makes the SNR go lower.

THD+N is <0.005% from milliwatts to >100W into 8 ohms.  Pre-tweak levels were below 0.001% at some higher power levels (>30W).

Power output is >250W into 4 ohms.  We don't have a power supply to test the max output into 2 ohms yet.

THD+N over frequency is nearly flat from 20Hz to 20KHz, below 0.008% at 10W (4 and 8 ohms).

Frequency response is +/-0.5dB from 10Hz to 20kHz down to 2 ohms.  Barely any "HF droop" over load, great for ESLs.

-3dB LF response is lower than our measurement equipment can go, but it is calculated to be 0.2Hz (!), essentially DC.

Damping factor is calculated to be close to 1000, but we will verify this later.

We are still tweaking and re-testing.  This is a long process, but we are very close.  As mentioned previously, the sound is much more important to us than the measurements, and re-listening takes MUCH longer than re-testing!

Thanks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2013, 05:46 pm »
  Tommy looks like another fine product from you. I first heard your amps with Gallo speakers which I am familiar with. Sounded really good to me. The final verdict is when one hears the amp in THEIR system. Hopefully the designer does his homework with measurements and the like a Tommy does.
   Voicing the amp to create the sonics the designer intended is what it is all about. A product for sale. At the end of the day it is what it sounds like, nothing else. No matter what the specs and measurements are a sale is made by the Amps sonic quality again in ones system.
   BTW no fan boy here we sell class "D" amps. The class "D" amps offer a different sonic signature than Cherries. Is one better ? No, just different.
   For me it is the sonic result not how one achieved it. Sorry but one more thing. If one has never listened to a Cherry product please keep your opinions to yourself, it is only fair. Loose lips sink ships.

charles

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2013, 07:05 pm »
Tommy builds a nice amp.  Lots of power and very smooth.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2013, 11:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind posts.  Hopefully we'll be getting some listening results soon.....

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:12 pm »
I would love giving these a trial. :D