8th Nerve room treatment

byteme

8th Nerve room treatment
« on: 23 Dec 2003, 09:35 pm »
I've been thinking of sending Nathan a picture of my room for a few months now based on some of the great stuff I've read in their Circle.  Well, I finally did it when he posted about the 2nd's they had.  He suggested 4 corners and 4 seams.  I primed my wife for this by asking about 6 months ago - "no freakin' way"  :o  was the answer.  4 months ago "Brian, we talked about this".  2 months ago "Whatever" which of course means no.  Finally about 3 weeks ago I said I'd like to get some stuff for Christmas and she finally said "Do whatever you want" which is still basically no, but I took it as a yes  :mrgreen:

So, today the box arrived.  I finally got around to putting them up.  Prior to install I listened to some tracks off my demo discs.  Blue Man Group, 10,000 Maniacs, Paul Simon, Eagles, Steely Dan, Rolling Stones.  Things have been sounding better than ever lately and I was really anxious to hear if this 8th nerve stuff was all it was cracked up to be.  I put it up, which goes very easy once you figure out how the hell you're gonna get to the corners without dismantling the whole system or killing yourself.  If my wife were here to witness what I was doing she would have shit and then killed me.

Once I put the aluminum extension ladder back in the garage  :o  I sat down and started the Demo disc.  Made me do this  ===> :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  !!  HOLY CRAP is all I can say.  Bass and ALL of it now on Blue Man Group - and the detial!  Stuff I knew was there but now I could place where it was!  On to 10,000 Maniacs and tell you what, if Natalie Merchant wasn't sitting right here with me singing Like the Weather I'll be damned!  The focus of the image and the quality of the bass and highs just went up huge amounts!  On the live version of Hotel California the guitars are SO right here - and out much further into the room now - the soundstage has increased in width but especially in depth.  On Sympathy for the Devil you can hear the maraacas guy over to the right of the bongo dude outside the speaker!  Before the image was good, but it sounded like everything was all piled on top of each other in the middle - now, the individual parts are spread apart more.  Did I mention the bass?  HOLY CRAP!  Now I'm listening to Desert Rose and the voices are smack in the middle with tight focus and the bass just lingers.  Ray Brown's stand up bass has real impact now and the drum and piano are so live sounding it's scary.  I really can't wait to watch a movie and see what the treatments do for that!!

Needless to say, I'm very happy.  Thanks Nathan!  Now, the only issue is will my wife have a stroke when she sees the Corners in the front of the room.  I'm sure she won't see the seams because they are all pretty much behind stuff and the one seam and corner in the rear of the room aren't really noticable.  If my post rate goes up over the next couple weeks that means she's not talking to me and I'm spending all my time here!

nature boy

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2003, 10:11 pm »
Heh, Heh, Heh,

Another satisfied customer.  Not the most beautiful of room decor, by passed my WFA test with flying colors.  The room analysis provided by Nathan or Bill is EXTREMELY helpful.

Hurry those 2nd's won't last long.

I picked up a pair of framed responses for my front corners to finish my room off.  Can't put them up until Christmas Day because they're from Santa - er, uh Eighth Nerve Santa that is.

NB

MaxCast

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2003, 10:35 pm »
Now, the only issue is will my wife have a stroke when she sees the Corners in the front of the room

No she is going to:

shit and then killed me

JoshK

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2003, 10:41 pm »
I with you man, I jumped and bought some responses in this deal and now have to feel the pain.

warnerwh

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2003, 11:22 pm »
It's pretty amazing how much some room treatment helps, especially considering the cost.  Glad you took the plunge. Maybe some more treatment could make it even better!

byteme

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2003, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: warnerwh
It's pretty amazing how much some room treatment helps, especially considering the cost.  Glad you took the plunge. Maybe some more treatment could make it even better!

Tell you what, I'll give you my wife's number - you can tell her that!  :o  :lol:

She should be home pretty soon.  I can't wait to hear what she has to say!

cjr888

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2003, 12:04 am »
Paint and treatments pink and draw flowers all over the them, and in fancy caligraphy, or possibly in the style of cross stitch, write "These are modern decorations and have nothing to do with audio or "Home is heart is."  If you have little kids and floor standing treatments, tell your significant other that you bought them so you could mark how tall your child is through the years.....but they have to stay in very particular positions.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:54 am »
Byteme, thanks for perking up my anticipation in receiving my RoomPak. I can't believe that those corners look as bad as you make out. Not that's really an issue with me, I lean toward the Josephson philosophy, it's all about the music, decor be damned! And if this room treatment is all you say it is, I'll be a happy audiophile(in the making). :lol: Regards, Robin

byteme

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2003, 05:34 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Byteme, thanks for perking up my anticipation in receiving my RoomPak. I can't believe that those corners look as bad as you make out. Not that's really an issue with me, I lean toward the Josephson philosophy, it's all about the music, decor be damned! And if this room treatment is all you say it is, I'll be a happy audiophile(in the making). :lol: Regards, Robin

Personally, I don't think they look bad, in fact I think they actually look pretty sweet.  My wife on the other hand doesn't care for the looks.  However, there is NO WAY they are going back, not that she wants them to.

I just got finished watching the DTS Demo DVD #7.  Whoa daddy is all I can say!  I first watched the DTS demo with the "Digital Experience" thing and the DVD that explodes - I've seen it a million times but never like this  :o   I sat and watched the whole thing and couldn't believe how active the rear and side surrounds were.  I've seen fast and the furious and Minority Report but WOW - again the surrounds were so active and the bass kicks with authority, it's more than just low noise now.  When I finished the demo and had to throw in Digital Essentials to make sure calibration was still right.  Still spot on where it was but now I can really hear the surrounds.

As I'm sitting here writing this I'm watching ESPN in PLII and I just can't get over the increase in detail from the center channel and the activity from the surrounds.  Great tweak!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:02 am »
I'm eating my heart out, guys.  I noticed the big Seconds Blowout just as the last ones were sold. :cry:   Guess I'll wait til after Xmas and pay full price.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:10 am »
I know how you feel Rob, I was the first to respond in that thread and had myself wound up but it didn't work out. So I said to hell with it and got the RoomPak(Phil treated me right :D) but I had to promise myself that this would be my last purchase this year. :lol: Now thanks to Byteme, I'm all wound up again. BTW, happy holiday's guys! Regards, Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2003, 06:13 am »
So damn many things I want and so little coin...I need me a Sugar Mama!  Does Anna Nicole Smiths ex-husband have an older sister?:lol:

audiojerry

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2003, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the review, Brian.
Is your improved acoustics due exclusively to the deadening of reflective sounds? Did you do an informal slap echo check before and after installation? How does it compare to when your wife slaps you across the face?  :lol:

byteme

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2003, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Thanks for the review, Brian.
Is your improved acoustics due exclusively to the deadening of reflective sounds? Did you do an informal slap echo check before and after installation? How does it compare to when your wife slaps you across the face?  :lol:
Jerry,  I'm supposing that's why, yes, because of less reflective sound.  I only did a listen test prior to install and always try at all costs to avoid the face slap test!!  However, if it were to happen, now, there would be no echo!

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2003, 02:16 pm »
Can you cover these with a material that is acoustically null like a GOM???(Guildford of Maine...701 series????).

This might give it a better appeal for room decor and the WAF factor.

Just wondering.....

Larry

byteme

8th Nerve room treatment
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2003, 02:37 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
Can you cover these with a material that is acoustically null like a GOM???(Guildford of Maine...701 series????).

This might give it a better appeal for room decor and the WAF factor.

Just wondering.....

Larry
I don't know why you couldn't - but this is a question for Nathan at 8th nerve I think.  Perhaps ask it in their forum.