How to cook prime rib

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: How to cook prime rib
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2021, 10:54 pm »
This is a really old thread, but I just pulled my prime rib off the grill, and I'm waiting for it to be ready to eat.  Rubbed with olive oil infused with garlic and rosemary.  It was roasted over mesquite, with a twist.  This winter in Texas was the winter that hell froze over, and my 38 year old rosemary bush/tree died.  Half the wood that I cooked it over was 4" diameter rosemary... something I'll never see again.  I'll report back after dinner and a bordeaux.   :thumb:

Carl V

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2021, 11:12 pm »
Condolences for the Rosemary, your prime rib sounds great. Right bank or left bank? 

S Clark

« Reply #22 on: 4 Apr 2021, 12:24 am »
Left bank.  Ch.Marquis d' Alesme Becker, 2005 that I've had in the cellar for a decade. 
The rosemary in the rub was great, but I couldn't tell if the smoke added to it.  Mesquite always adds a signature. 
No company, nothing special, just a nice meal for my wife and myself.  Taking left overs to my daughter tomorrow- meat, no left over wine.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:10 am »
Pics? That sounds amazing.
Of course, like spending money on audio, all that "MUST" have had a positive effect on the final product.  :wink:

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 4 Apr 2021, 04:33 am »
Sorry, Bob.  No pics.  Just a standard looking crusty Prime Rib with a bit more smoke than usual restaurant rib.  And it really wasn't that pricey.  A local chain grocer had them on sale for $5.79 /lb for choice black angus.  Three meals for the two of us for 22 bucks.  The wine cost more when I bought it ten years ago. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:52 pm »
That's actually a very good deal!
Hmmm... Will have to check some butchers and see what they're asking around here.

Carl V

« Reply #26 on: 4 Apr 2021, 05:04 pm »
Sorry, Bob.  No pics.  Just a standard looking crusty Prime Rib with a bit more smoke than usual restaurant rib.  And it really wasn't that pricey.  A local chain grocer had them on sale for $5.79 /lb for choice black angus.  Three meals for the two of us for 22 bucks.  The wine cost more when I bought it ten years ago.

Wow, great deal on the beef. And yes, wine is more than the beef.