Any Chance For An Alabaster With A Stepped Attenuator For Volume?

underdog64

Hi-For me the Alabaster sounds like one of the best if not the best integrated amp in it's class.I once owned an Exposure 2010 integrated.I loved its PRAT  and warm sound all in a single package plus the option of getting a phono stage/card for it.The only thing I did not like was the fact the pot for volume would get dirt in it and it would get noisy unless it was periodically cleaned.When I had a Goldpoint Stepped attenuator added to a tube preamp that had a pot previously for volume I could not believe the change in transparency (especially at lower volumes).Is there any chance the Alabaster might have one as standard or for additional charge? since it does not have remote volume now would be an easy switch I would think.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Hi Underdog,

Definitely an interesting thought. Next time we look at the Alabaster we might just have a listen and see how it fits in. A little immersed in a bigger project right now and we are trying to stay focussed on it. Bettering the Alabaster is always a good challenge for us so we are up for any interesting ideas as ever. Costs of course can determine the outcome as the Alabaster sits in a sweet spot. Never the less it is an interesting option.

Mind you I have not really experienced the pots going scratchy. Are you in a particular dusty environment?

Thanks,
Haider
sonneteer.co.uk
p.s. thank you the kind comments too.

underdog64

Yes,I lived Phoenix at the time in a desert environment.

underdog64

The stepped attenuator upgrades the sound immensely as much of the distortion in a preamp or amp is from the volume control.Also it allows great clarity especially at lower volumes.I know Croft uses a stepped attenuator-usually the argument against is that "well most users would not want to give up their remote control for a stepped attenuator"but if the amp has no remote anyway-there's no trade off .if the Alabaster is built to order maybe you could include it as an option?