Guess who was quoted in the most recent Stereophile!

roscoeiii

This guy right here! Check out this issue's As We See It:

As We See It

Why They Scorn Us—and Why We Should Care
THERE ARE AS MANY OPINIONS AS THERE ARE EXPERTS
BY KEN MICALLEF

THIS ISSUE: Why do so many music lovers dislike the audiophile state of mind?

Are you on Facebook? Twitter? Instagram? Reddit? Social media has done much to bring together people of every interest imaginable to share their fascinations, desires, and, occasionally, delusions. From fans of frogs (FrogStomp) and proponents of clean public toilets (Benjyo Soujer) to a group that challenged an Iranian cleric’s statement that women’s flimsy attire causes earthquakes (Boobquake), social media is a global town square in which anyone with a keyboard and an attitude has an equal voice.

Like all self-respecting Facebookers, audiophiles also have their groups, including Audiophile Network, High End & Vinyl Lovers United, Audiophiles North America, and Hi Fi Audio, with memberships ranging from 3000 to 10,000. On these virtual forums audiophiles exchange opinions, upload system photos, and discuss the inexhaustible pros and cons of cables, tweaks, noise isolation, and, of course, analog vs digital.

For fun, I recently took a break from posting to my own FB group, Jazz Vinyl Lovers, to ask FB audiophiles a handful of age-old but still-relevant questions: “Why do so many music lovers dislike the audiophile state of mind? Is it envy of audiophiles who have more long green to spend on music reproduction than the rest of us? Or is it that only the music should matter, and not the gear? Or, since most people can’t hear the difference anyway, why the serious expenditure on what amount to boys’ toys?”

I was gobsmacked. Responses to my queries rolled in at a seemingly exponential clip—more than 500 in less than three hours, and more continued to arrive for a week, eventually totaling 50 single-spaced pages. That’s a lot of kvetching about cables and soul-baring about speaker sensitivities!

A sampling of the responses:

“If you have a nice high-end audio system,” said Aleksandar Matijaca, “post a pic on http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophiles/ and wait for the hatred.”

One member boasted: “Who says it has to be shared? I’m an audiophile for me. It satisfies, entertains and pleases me.”

“I find the hobby to be pedantic and petty,” wrote John Fiebke, “filled with socially awkward dweebs who argue constantly about minuscule details that have nothing to do with music and everything to do with just winning a contest of ‘my stereo is better than yours.’ If this hobby . . . were about the music I wouldn’t hear Diana Krall at audio shows year after year.” Ouch!

But does the other green play a role

“Your suggestion that [envy] might play a role could easily be perceived as a hostile, elitist sentiment,” Dan Sorrells replied.

Think again, Dan.

“People nowadays have access to credit and other means to gear,” mused one respondent. “Having an expensive set-up doesn’t necessarily mean someone has enough disposable income to justify buying the gear, kinda like if a guy drives a Ferrari but lives in his mom’s basement with student loans and credit card debt.”

Still another suggested that all human beings are essentially created equal: “I believe any human can hear the difference in quality given the opportunity,” wrote Conrad Hunter. “It’s just that some people choose to place value on that difference while others don’t. But once you’ve recognized the difference you can never ‘unhear’ it.”

Popular New York City radio DJ Paul Cavalconte thinks it’s all in our heads: “The dichotomy is that audio is satisfying on both lo-f and hi-flevels. A great rock oldie on a transistor radio is just as sweet as a symphony on a cathedralflling system. There’s a limitless path to better, but no right or wrong.”

This, from a sensualist: “I believe the senses can be developed till you die and the pleasuring of those is mostly the center of our existences,” said Nicolas Letman-Burtinovic.

This, from a sensualist: “I believe the senses can be developed till you die and the pleasuring of those is mostly the center of our existences,” said Nicolas Letman-Burtinovic.

And a well-positioned comment from Bob Weiniger: “The general disdain for audiophiles stems from the present day attraction to egalitarianism, especially amongst the ‘have-nots,’ who having found a rationale for putting down those who have accomplished (and therefore amassed) more than they, somehow feel less inadequate by demonizing the ‘haves’ and their accomplishments. Cognoscenti have ALWAYS known that ‘the best’ shall always cost more than the ‘run of the mill.’ There is no substitute for quality and quality costs money. This is as it should be.”

Still curious, I posted a follow-up question: “How can we win converts to our music-loving audio pursuit?” This time, unfortunately, the number of responses from the audiophile groups was close to nil.

Quizzing a Facebook group isn’t a scientific survey, but perhaps audiophiles harbor mixed emotions about their hobby, if it is a hobby. How do we defeat the us-againstthem mentality that frames audiophiles either as nerds focused on sonic artifacts or as men obsessed with expensive hardware? Perhaps we are OCD patients more intent on interacting with merchandise we can buy than relationships we should cherish. A handful of munificent FB audiophiles responded with positive advice: appeal to friends and family and rely on what you love best—appeal with the music.

“Start playing music at shows that is found in actual music lover’s collections rather than ‘audiophile’ shite that lives in a different universe to what real people listen to,” wrote Eric van Spelde.

Roscoe Trey Nicholson said it best: “The greatest reaction I have had from a non–audio nerd was an ex-girlfriend hearing her favorite album (Radiohead’s Kid A) on my system. In tears. And from then on, we’d wake up, make coffee, and put on a record every weekend morning.”

Ken Micallef is a freelance music journalist and jazz vinyl obsessive currently hunting for a mint mono copy of Harpo Marx’s Harpo At Work (Mercury MG 20363).

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Guess who was quoted in the most recent Stereophile!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2015, 05:45 pm »
And you let that girlfriend get away???

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2015, 05:52 pm »

She probably ran off with Bigfoot :green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2015, 06:22 pm »

*sigh*  And she was a DJ.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm »
What about those uber freaks like me - who actually like some of that audiophile music played at shows? 

I guess I answered my own question after all... :duh:

Its a fun thing, loving music, and loving exceptional reproduction of said music. 

I was thoroughly enjoying some pop on my Westone iems this AM, right out of my iPhone on the train.  I suppose this AM the music lover was the winner!