Changed my own oil.(I am 70)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Changed my own oil.(I am 70)
« on: 9 Apr 2020, 09:37 pm »
I have been in the habit of changing my own oil ever since the first hot rod new car I bought, (1999Ford Contour SVT stick all ST and SVT only stick 100% Whoo Hoo!) That car had a aero under shield and I wanted to KEEP it intact. (most oil change places would throw it away, pretending it never was there.. So my latest hot hatch same thing. except it has an additional little aero thingy blocking the front of the engine shield that has to be unscrewed to take the aero underbody engine shield off .. to change the oil.
Anyway I made solid wood ramps years ago for the SVT, and I drive the car up on those. 4" up is enough to get under..
Mobil 1 extended (even though I change it every 4K) and a longer Motorcraft filter than stock. from a Mustang.
Car runs better after an oil change. particularly on boost.. VrooM!!!  :thumb:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
Re: Changed my own oil.(I am 70)
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2020, 09:50 pm »
 8)

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2020, 09:52 pm »
I do most all service work on our vehicles which, of course, includes oil changes. I like to put these on...perhaps it would make your job easier.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/

Elizabeth

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2020, 10:02 pm »
I have thought about the sort of valve you mention. But all the stuff has to come off to get at the oil filter anyway, The valve is best for folks who do analysis and run their oil for near forever. The valve lets them get a sample easy...
I just change the oil.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2020, 10:30 pm »
Any man can change oil and refil radiator water, but do you cook well?

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm »
Good job Elizabeth!   
Do you reset the computer after oil change? 

My wife's car is too smart, it tells the mothership that it needs oil change, then dealer calls me to book appt. Now it's off warranty I enjoy telling them I DIY it!

Try Pennzoil Platinum sometime, I bet you'll like it!  8)  Ime it lasts longer than mobil1 so you don't notice a difference after oil change.

DIY is nice to know it got done right, with the right filter and good synthetic oil.

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2020, 11:58 pm »
One time I took my Landcruiser to a local quicky oil change place and I watched the guy underneath the car (they had close circuit tv to watch the people do your oil change) call out that he was finished with his work.  At that point I looked at the screen and watched as he looked over and saw the shield he had previously removed sitting on the ground next to him.  What did he do?  He slid it out of the way and then walked away. Suffice to say that I made sure he replaced it then gave the employee and the ‘manager’ my opinion of what I witnessed.  I wouldn’t think about taking my vehicles to one of those places again.

G.Michael

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2020, 02:09 am »
"Mobil 1 extended (even though I change it every 4K) "

I use Mobil 1 and change it about every 8k... which begs the question, can I have your used motor oil?    :) :)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2020, 11:54 am »
I kinda miss changing my oil.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2020, 01:03 pm »
Great job!

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2020, 01:28 pm »
Good job Elizabeth!   

agreed !

Try Pennzoil Platinum sometime, I bet you'll like it!  8)  Ime it lasts longer than mobil1

considering she changes every 4k (a waste) there's no way she will notice a difference. Myself I've run extended drain intervals(10k) since 1976 when I switched to synthetic (Amsoil)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2020, 02:37 pm »
It takes 10 minutes and $30 at the drive thru lube, so I am not about to crawl under the car get and get my hands dirty.

Elizabeth

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2020, 01:04 pm »
The number one reason t ochange it myself is the engine shield getting put back on properly. Secondly is that the oil filter gets pre-filled, and thirdly that they actually put in oil brand AND the exact viscosity required. Even the dang Dealer has put in the wrong amount, wrong viscosity and acted like putting 7 quarts into a 4 quart engine was "no big deal'. So most of the reasons have to do with IDIOTS, vs 'getting hands dirty'.
(the 7 quart thing was a 1989 Ford Tracer 4 cyl. Took it to dealer and when I started it up huge cloud of blue smoke is pouring out. I stop check the dipstick it is two inches OVER The full line. I go in, the service guy says, No problem, just bring it in next time.  WTF??? I raise hell and demand he get the manager, Raise hell with him and they sheepishly decide to redo the oil change. That was the end of getting it done at the dealer or any place else. Then the wrong viscosity was more stories as I own a Ford Focus ST which takes 5W30 where the regular Focus takes 5W20. Endless stories on Ford websites of 5W20 into the ST by dealers...

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2020, 01:44 pm »
It takes 10 minutes and $30 at the drive thru lube, so I am not about to crawl under the car get and get my hands dirty.

The last time I used one of those places they cross-threaded my oil filter on.  Two miles later it blew out and sprayed the entire underside of my hood.  I called the shop and the manager drove over with a new filter and oil.  He very quickly pocketed the damaged filter and refused to let me see it.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Brettio

« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2020, 01:47 pm »
The last time I used one of those places they cross-threaded my oil filter on.  Two miles later it blew out and sprayed the entire underside of my hood.  I called the shop and the manager drove over with a new filter and oil.  He very quickly pocketed the damaged filter and refused to let me see it.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Last year a good friend and coworker took his wife’s car to a national franchised garage for an oil change.  As he drove home the car started running rough, knocking, and the check engine light came on.  He called a member of his congregation that was a service manager at a local automobile dealership and was told to stop immediately and tow the vehicle in.  Over $5,000 later the engine was rebuilt and a PROPER sized oil filter was installed.  Unfortunately the improperly sized filter was misplaced but the entire tear down and rebuild operation was documented and photographed.   

After nearly a year of back and forth correspondence, threats and attorney letters from the owner of the original garage, etc, my buddy got his day in small claims court.  Bottom line?  The oil change cost my buddy nearly $2,000 and a huge amount of aggravation.  It’s just not worth it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2020, 02:16 pm »
Oh man in all my years I have never experienced such problems nor can I think of anyone I know of who has dealt with such issues. Sure enough where there is human involvement there is the potential for human error, but the issues described in the above three posts are not typical or everyday occurrences, at least not in my country.  :green:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2020, 03:49 pm »
 Mistakes happen.  A friend was on vacation and decided to get an oil change at a dealership.  5 miles down the road, the engine was ruined as they didn't put the oil plug back in.  I've done something similar.  I've got an old Dodge D250 with a big Cummins engine.  It takes three gallons of oil.  After adding the first gallon, I noticed the oil running on the driveway.  Yep, forgot to put the plug back in.   Poured a gallon right onto the ground. 

Brettio

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:03 pm »
If my dad was alive he would tell a story about the time he asked a knucklehead to check the oil in his brand new Porsche 911 Targa and ended up shortly after with the dipstick in the engine oil pan. In my defense I didn’t see that little drinking straw sized tube where the dipstick was supposed to be placed. Sadly a true story.... :duh: