Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?

stlrman

Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« Reply #80 on: 14 Apr 2015, 07:48 pm »
I'm looking at switching to a Mercedes ML 350 ,2008. 18,000 less miles less then my BMW,
at 70,000. Pot holes and brick roads killing me, and the bucket seats not great for 9 hours of city driving a day. Any experience with this SUV?

stlrman

« Reply #81 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:17 pm »
Happy ending to my saga. Sort of ... I lost my entire trade in money. Lessons learned , but got the vehicle of my dreams!! :thumb: :thumb:

The color is sick looking. It changes colors , this is at sunrise.
2010 with 30,000 miles. Loaded with an awesome 3d Navagation , insane stereo, all weather package.
It's beautiful inside and out.
Better drive for me . Seats way better!, firm but not nearly as buckety .
Steering is way easier , no more quicksand feel.
Loving it !!!!!!

stlrman

« Reply #82 on: 30 Apr 2015, 07:12 pm »
A couple of questions : how many CDs can the storage hold?
I tried multiple ways to run spotify from my phone, can't get it sync.?
I have Bluetooth , does that mean I should be able to stream Spotify ?
Thanks !

stlrman

« Reply #83 on: 4 Jun 2018, 08:39 pm »
One of the biggest mistakes of my life !!!
Complete fucking money pit !! !!!!!

Just spent $1200 for fucking spark plugs!!

Says I need new brake pads after 7 thousand miles!!! Should last 15-30 thousand!

Now my car is completely fucked!! I’m two blocks from my house , going down a hill and the car starts slowing down , my foot is not on the brake, like the engine is completely down shifting!!! The car should accelerate down hill !!
Om fucking G-d !!! I am pretty sure this has zero to do with the brake pads , as they felt perfect, not mushy.

I’m sure this is going to be a few grand that I can not afford.
I got the car with under 30k

Now only has 60 k but some breaks by weekly it seems.

This car is fucking my life up !!!
I’m not sure I can drive it three miles  to avoid a $200 tow

sandbagger

« Reply #84 on: 4 Jun 2018, 08:57 pm »
you really need to find yourself a good independent mechanic that knows BMW's
There is nothing special about doing plugs, and breaks are not that bad either, but then again I have had the cylinder head off my M3.

For parts you can get a good deal from FCPeuro.com  they even warranty everything they sell for life.

Jon L

« Reply #85 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:53 pm »
you really need to find yourself a good independent mechanic that knows BMW's

Second that. 
In addition, I recommend finding a good local BMW sales person (ask around) and leasing a BMW 3 series instead of buying. 
BMW usually has a great lease program on its 3 series which can usually become even cheaper when you have a good sales person.  It's becoming rarer to find car companies that offer free full maintenance for the lease period (which BMW does), during which period full warranty applies of course... :thumb:
I just returned a 3 series lease and leased another 3 series  :green:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #86 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:02 pm »
You might check with someone in your regional, link- BMWCCA ,   to find a good local mechanic. It's been many years since I was a member, but the folks were always a really nice fun group with lots of marque knowledge. Same with SCCA folks.

ctviggen

« Reply #87 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:51 pm »
Second that. 
In addition, I recommend finding a good local BMW sales person (ask around) and leasing a BMW 3 series instead of buying. 
BMW usually has a great lease program on its 3 series which can usually become even cheaper when you have a good sales person.  It's becoming rarer to find car companies that offer free full maintenance for the lease period (which BMW does), during which period full warranty applies of course... :thumb:

I really have a tough time with leasing...you never own anything and are stuck in payments forever. I did lease my Saab 9-3 Viggen, but I bought it after the lease.  Otherwise, I've been buying everything and having years without a payment. 

$1,200 for spark plugs seems like it can't be true. 

srb

« Reply #88 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm »
$1,200 for spark plugs seems like it can't be true.
It probably includes replacing the individual ignition coils located at each spark plug.

It may or not be necessary, and even if only one of them is bad, dealers generally like to replace them all at the same time for maximum reliability (and maximum profitability).

Steve

guf

« Reply #89 on: 5 Jun 2018, 12:56 am »
Second that. 

I follow leasehackr.com more than audiocircle. Yes great deals on BMW leases can be had.

WGH

« Reply #90 on: 5 Jun 2018, 01:00 am »
If you live close to Toledo my brother can fix it, he was a certified BMW mechanic for year and years and now fixes them part time because the full time job at the dealer really sucked. He used to work in Chicago so probably knows mechanics there too.

Woodsea

« Reply #91 on: 5 Jun 2018, 01:08 am »
Sorry to hear of your plight.  My 2011 e93 M package was $17.4k at 39k miles.  I have invested under 3k ($300 spark plugs, tires, shocks, fuel sensor) and runs like a dream after 1 year and 10k miles.  The previous owner had not done regular maintenance, but kept the car looking nice.
 One caveat, my mechanic turned me onto this model, I found the car on Craigslist. 
I haven't gone to a dealer for over a decade, and that was just for a couple of years after relocating.  Otherwise I have always used a private mechanic. 
Dealerships have a lot of overhead and make most of their money in the shop.  Spend some quality time and research for an honest mechanic. 

stlrman

« Reply #92 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:31 pm »
thanks guys. Car riding perfect today.
I must have hit the stick shift to manual shifting yesterday. I did check this immediately and confirmed it was in regular drive. it might have taken a bit more time to go back into regular drive. So crises averted .
Now I need to take it back to Pep Boys to see why my car is saying that it needs to brake pads after only 7 thousand miles. Hope its just a sensor,brakes feel fine.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #93 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:48 pm »
thanks guys. Car riding perfect today.
I must have hit the stick shift to manual shifting yesterday. I did check this immediately and confirmed it was in regular drive. it might have taken a bit more time to go back into regular drive. So crises averted .
Now I need to take it back to Pep Boys to see why my car is saying that it needs to brake pads after only 7 thousand miles. Hope its just a sensor,brakes feel fine.

Silly question...did they reset the on board computer properly when the pads were changed?

This happened to me and turned out to be a non-event when I was leasing a 2011 335xi.

George

stlrman

« Reply #94 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:50 pm »
It was Pep Boys , so probably not .
I’ll take it to them next week .

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #95 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:25 am »
My daughter drives the hell out of her 2007 328xi wagon with (knocking on wood) very little trouble. Just turned 200k on it. Most of her issues are very common with the series, ie: rear windows quit, moon roof quit. With the help of youtube, I've been able to fix those.

Gotta say though, she does mostly highway miles. Doesn't seem like a vehicle for heavy city driving.

Early B.

« Reply #96 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:45 am »
It was Pep Boys , so probably not .
I’ll take it to them next week .

That's like taking a computer to get it repaired by the Geek Squad -- you just don't do it unless you prefer inexperienced personnel to screw it up and overcharge you.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #97 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:46 am »
You don't need pads yet. I just had mine in for scheduled check up and they changed the brake fluid but I have 30,000 miles on those brake pads.

stlrman

« Reply #98 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:15 am »
I haven’t been working Uber for four months , but I Uber in the summer pretty hard . I know that beats the shit out of it . I drive pretty mellow when I’m driving for me .
I had issues when I just got it , all wheel drive not right , so cruise control won’t work . With 20k miles on it.

Those issues worked themselves out . The rubber door seal is broken and and hanging loose, now rubber is twisted and can not be shoved back in track . Cup holder is broken but still functions. 
Bmw said it wanted between $650 -850 to put a new battery in !!
Did  not go through them obviously!!
I’m not even sure how to put the alarm on, but I lock the doors anyway .
  It just seems like my warning lights  , light up like a pinball machine .
Some rear ended me , the air bags never came out, light hit, but the seat belt lights are on ever since. All mechanics said the could not turn it off.  No way I’m going to BMW !!!!!

My AC is a fucking joke !!!  Even since I just got it!! Comes out hot  for first 3o seconds , Uber passengers are yelling at me !!!  The back ac vents are a fucking joke, no real air flows back there. I’ve tested it .  Air comes out barely cool , does not cool car on very hot days. I need to check Freon.   Does Auto Zone do this ??
   I like the seats !! Very good support!!
    I’d say brakes are fantastic !!!! But wear out waaay to fast.
    Acceleration is flawless!! This car is always in the right gear!!!
     It’s fun to drive!!
     Stereo kicks ass!!! I can burn 250 cds  to hard drive.
     No blue tooth connect without wires to phone !!
Steering is like quick sand on 2010 model . I mean heavy , like my shoulders hurt.

I’m getting 16 mpg . That’s horrid!!!!  My wife’s big Forester gets at least 22!
I just expected a lot more quality ! Decals rubbing off on buttons I touch a lot.

sandbagger

« Reply #99 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:54 am »
you should have just bought a Kia or Hyundia  and been done with it ....