A 70s Musical Trip Down Memory Lane.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
A 70s Musical Trip Down Memory Lane.
« on: 4 Aug 2023, 02:40 am »
Normally my musical appetite is satiated by a either a healthy serving of Gothic darkness or a 70s themed, all you can eat, musical buffet. Sometimes a random search on YouTube for 70s music will bring up a long forgotten band from decades past - usually this will initiate warming up the beasties and searching for said CD. This little gem came up on this evening's search - every month's most popular song during the 70s in the form of a short clip of the band. This 13 minute video is well worth watching if you're a 70s connoisseur.

Sitting in front of your gear, the little green lights are the harbinger of the journey ahead and the only fare required is to press the "play" button - it's simply magical listening to a song, closing one's eyes and being taken back 40 odd years or so.

Be well...

Most Popular Song Each Month in the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MzvQhl23U

Mag

Re: A 70s Musical Trip Down Memory Lane.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2023, 04:12 am »
   Have most of the '70's songs from this clip in my Pop Playlist that I play on a regular basis. Carpenters got a lot of play when I was a budding audiophile back in the day. Surprised the Bee Gee had such an early start influencing the Disco era. Even Abba, my recollection was that they were '80's, not so.
  The Cowsill's played Mr. Postman on the Hair albums IIRC was like 1970 but probably wasn't a hit until the Carpenters played it. Clouds in my Coffee, didn't realize that song was from the '70's as I recall hearing that song almost daily on the car radio and I hated it. But I have this song in my collection I believe Carla Simon album, audiophile quality, an have a better appreciation for the song. Let The River Run though is why I bought the album. :smoke:

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2023, 05:43 am »
The Midnight Special episodes are now being put out on YouTube on a weekly basis. It started in early 1973 and there's quite a number of popular and one hit wonders on it with everyone playing live. Surprisingly, high quality stuff if you're into 70's music.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2023, 10:38 am »
"... Surprised the Bee Gee had such an early start influencing the Disco era. Even Abba..."

My thoughts exactly Mag. As I played this video a few times it slowly dawned on me(or was reminded) as to popularity of both bands with respect to Disco.

Be well...

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2023, 01:47 pm »
I only have one Bee Gees album, The Ultimate Bee Gees, two discs.  But I am always amazed at what good songs they have that are outside the disco area. 

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2023, 01:55 pm »
For instance, a great Christmas song (or at least I've put it in my list of Christmas songs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB2UXmMZHs

Massachusetts, Islands in the Stream, basically all of the second disc has great songs with few or any "disco" songs. 

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2023, 02:27 pm »
The first couple of years, '70 - '71 sent chills up my spine. I was with the Marines in Viet Nam in those days. Ancient history, but hard to forget.

Digi-G

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2023, 05:49 pm »
I have all of those songs on my 70's playlist (and elsewhere in other folders).  Those songs (mostly) were all pretty big hits.  I'm trying to get my playlists to go a little deeper now and have added songs such as these:

Christie - Yellow River
Mark Lindsey - Arizona
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Fresh Air & What About Me
First Class - Beach Baby
B W Stevenson - My Maria
Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
BTO - Roll on Down The Highway
Ace - How Long
Bobby Hyland - Gypsy Woman
Burton Cummings - Break It To Them Gently

I'm just pulling these out of the air.  I've got hundreds.