XBOX 360 VS PS3

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« on: 23 Dec 2005, 03:46 am »
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

I'm still waiting on which "mainstream" next gen system I'm gonna buy, but I thought this was interesting.

However, there is no doubt I'll be lined up to buy a Nintendo Revolution.

Michael

Woodsea

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:15 am »
Sony has a great machine coming out.  Thought it is still in the closet.  This article, as they explained were written by fanboys.  Which is all well and good.  I do have some differing thoughts.  
Pre-ordering, I could have pre-ordered the 360, and not waited in line.  Though I probably would still be waiting for my pre-ordered machine until feb of '06.  Sony PS2 was also plagued by faulty production.  The PSP had an extra 400,000 unsold units on its premiere, maybe Sony knows what it is doing (waiting).
1080p, I don't think is possible with the hardware that is under the hood of the PS3.  Unless it is at 7-10 fps.
10 controllers?  Why? Oh well the more the merrier around my 93 inch screen.
Blu-ray, I have concerns about this.  I hope it goes well.  I have to assume the cost will reflect on my wallet, Oh and how much are the games going to cost that fill up that disc?  Right now, Oblivion for the 360 is somewhere around 150 hours playing time with all side adventures.
They downplayed what games are available for the backwards compatibility on the 360.   These are increasing every week.  I have played alot of games on the xbox.  I don't need to play them again, just for higher resolution.  As with books, there are a precious few that I would reread.  Movies are different, they are my lazy, no need to think or react, which I can watch over and over again.

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:22 am »
I'm going for whatever system has the better exclusives.  The Xbox 360 launch games were pretty lame- let's face it, but Xbox has some damn good exclusives that are going to be coming out on the horizon.  I'll let the smoke settle a bit and then make a decision, but I still play old games, so backwards compatibility is still important to me.

Michael

Woodsea

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:30 am »
I hear ya.  I am no where near a retail outlet, so I am forced to wait until the dust settles, the smoke clears, and the fanboys on both sides have rested their case.   In the end whatever we buy will be a great time waster.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2005, 05:46 am »
So far Oblivion is vaporware, isn't it?  I really wanted a 360 until I learned it wasn't launching with Oblivion.  There's literally only one other game for the new 'box that I'd bother trying (Perfect Dark Zero).  Still, once there's some decent games I'll probably buy one, assuming production catches up.

As for cost, analysts at Merrill Lynch are projecting a PS3 launch at $399.  Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet against it.  If that happens, they estimate Sony will lose $1.5 billion on the hardware the first year.  No big deal though; with the P2 they lost nearly a billion on the machine but went on to make over $76 billion in profits. :o

Woodsea

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2005, 07:17 am »
Oblivion is just a vaporware as any software out there.  I am waiting on buying a new computer for the same hope of Vista vaporware materializing.  There are even more 'reading' great games coming down the pike for the 360.
Full Auto
Gun
Mass Effect

Also I need a dance dance revolution for my son and daughter...Haven't heard about it yet.

Folsom

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2005, 11:15 am »
I don't know what's out there in Mongolia, but in America "Gun" was a launch game.  But from the reviews I've read it's not better than the version for the regular Xbox.

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2005, 11:51 am »
Xbox 360 hasn't launched properly until a Halo, Splinter Cell, or KOTOR- three franchises which MADE the Xbox last generation- are released.  Big mistake to not have at least one of these at launch IMO.  Perfect Dark Zero is the only launch title I'm interested in, as the original was a GREAT game from Rare.

If PS3 launches with Metal Gear Solid 4 or a Final Fantasy, then they will have a good launch in terms of content.  PS2 launched like crap, Xbox launched with HALO and that single-handedly kept the system alive at the beginning, and Gamecube launched terribly- without a Mario title.  I'm not buying either an Xbox 360 or PS3 until the system selling games are released.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2005, 04:50 am »
Oh man, when there's a KotOR game for the 360...I'll be all over that! 8)

Folsom

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2005, 09:16 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Oh man, when there's a KotOR game for the 360...I'll be all over that! 8)

I could barely take a few minutes with a Kotor game.

The PS3 will do better then the 360 I think.... If.... They listen to what people want and not pull any stupid shit like making a slim version so people can not put a hard drive in like they need for certain games etc... I think they will avoid all the mistakes of the 360 and take over suit. PS's have always had all the better game titles.... I think they will do well with the sport games, and racing games. The crowd following PS's are not as loud and usually not as young as the Xbox Halo's. I hardly think any very small handful of games, or even one, determine the entire career of a console. Plus the PS3 is already ment to be a multimedia center, it will have markets the 360 will never touch because of it's inherent design.

Yeah Halo is big but.... They can only sell so many copies, they never make money on people purchasing the 360's for Halo, and the difference is never made up by the titling rights of one game purchase.

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2005, 01:28 pm »
Well, the next console race is Sony's to lose.  With an installed user base of far greater than both Xbox and Nintendo combined, a lot of people need to switch allegiances for Microsoft/Nintendo to catch them.  Xbox's main selling point is Xbox Live, Nintendo's Revolution is the controller and Nintendo as a software developer, and Sony's is having the most 3rd party support and the most technologically advanced system next round.

Michael

rbrb

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2005, 06:16 pm »
I have no particular allegiance to either Microsoft or Sony all though I am  ex Sony employee.  It's all about the games.  The X-Box and 360 appeals to me because of the games.  The Microsoft consoles seem well suited to people that are a little older or mature and want to be able to play PC style games without the hassle of a PC, (system crashes, the need to constantly upgrade hardware etc.).  I believe that the architecture of the 360 makes it easy to port PC games over to the system.

We can talk all day about how the PS3 is technically superior but it really does not matter at this point.  How many gamers have a display capable of 1080P?  Not many I would imagine, and by the time 1080P displays are common place we'll be considering the X-Box 720 or PS4.

The article referred to in the first post was the most biased I have read so far.  But I expect that from IGN.  Considering the PS3 is still some months away there is an awful lot of speculation and what ifs.

At the end of the day hardcore gamers will own both systems.

The ultimate 360 game for me would be a Splinter Cell style game in which to win the game you have to assassinate the final boss by putting a bullet in his head from a distance so that he does not even know who killed him.  The boss would actually turn out to be Nintendo's Mario.  That would be real gaming satisfaction.  It's time he was put down once and for all.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2005, 10:37 pm »
What I can't take is 30 seconds of Grand Theft Auto, or any driving game for that matter.  Or any sports game by EA Sports.  I don't mind a good FPS once in awhile, but RPGs are more my thing.

Folsom

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2005, 01:20 am »
Xbox 360 games do not work on PC's and vice versa.... The Xbox 360 and PS3 are both complete bitches to even make games for at to begin with.

The Xbox 360 architecture has made the AI stupid. I hope the PS3 will not have this problem so they can actually have a decent single player game.

PC's have come a long way..... While I have pretty much cut out all video gaming, I can within recent times the crashing rate has gone to just about zero. Also on top of that the amount of playable games for a little older systems has broaden to the point where no one really has a problem playing new games. They could never crank the video settings but they can still play the game. Xbox 360 and PS3 graphics will only get as much better as PC ones do via drivers and new engines. At least with a PC you can upgrade. The PC is and always will be the ultimate gaming machine. There are games and computers that have graphics already that put 1080 any thing Xbox 360 or PS3 to shame.

Kill Mario? Hell on. Despite the Disney feeling, a lot of those games are fun! Granted party house and the purely party based ones are awful, except for Smash Brothers. I love Smash Brothers and Mario 64 and a few others. I hope they continue, as I would want my kid playing those, not Splinter Cell until he is a little older. Mario Cart is just plain fun!

My preference though in games has always been more violent gun toting based games. Truth is for PC's all good games are dead, which is sad. The geeks, nerds, what evers, all got the butt end of every thing. There is nothing left for games for the "smart kid" except MMORPG's; all the new games are catered to the masses.

Rob, I thoroughly enjoyed Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. There was a lot of BS in it, but for the most part I enjoyed a lot of allusions to really being inner city life for some people. That of course ended at about the sixth mission. I still had fun making lowriders and wearing realish gang type clothing from the early nineties.... The soundtrack rocked! The trick to that game is to do the missions, stop being a goof and really do the missions, you will get into it. The Grand Theft Auto's before that, bleh.

I have never liked any sport games really. Basketball maybe, with friends, but I never got any good, I just like some of the players. Madden can be kind of addicting and fun to play with friends. I suck bad at Madden but I play once in awihle. The only games I really care for any more for the most part are multiplayer games. I am not into Xbox live. I will just play Halo 2 (map pack prefered!) with other people. I do own two controllers for Xbox, a normal and a FPS one, but they are only so I can play with friends. The only console I can see myself buying any time soon, when it comes out, is the PS3 because it is a HD DVD / Blue Ray what ever DVD player. That all depends of course on the quality of the playback though. I doupt I would use it to play any music through, I am sure it will never match my IBM T42 and Foobar2000. I could care less about the outs for the audio during DVD as they will be toslink and not of concern in quality, just pure digital out.

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2005, 08:49 am »
What I can't take is 30 seconds of Grand Theft Auto, or any driving game for that matter.  Or any sports game by EA Sports.  I don't mind a good FPS once in awhile, but RPGs are more my thing.

Hmm, do you not like Japanese RPG's?  PS2 was the king of RPG's and I assume that will continue into the next generation.  I felt Xbox was king of FPS and sports games last generation.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2005, 11:45 am »
Yeah, I like some.  But combining the Star Wars mythos with RPG mechanics is a winner for me.  Incidentally, I think the storyline of the first Knights of the Old Republic is much better than the new movie trilogy.  The Star Wars universe is wonderful, but Lucas has run the franchise off the rails.

Some of the Japanse RPGs are just too cartoony for me.  Sometimes I like that but overall I like a more realistic look.  

Along with KotOR, I'd put the Resident Evil games up there with the best games ever made for any platform.  RE, Diablo & Mechwarrior 2- there's a trifecta of original Playstation masterpieces.

rbrb

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2005, 04:44 pm »

Did you try 'Fable'?

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2005, 05:18 pm »
Fable was pretty good, but a little bit short.  I think the best RPG's for Xbox were KOTOR and Morrowind.  KOTOR was amazing IMO.  I like Japanese RPG's like Symphonia, Final Fantasy, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia, and the disagea/hack series, but I think the top RPG's across systems are Diablo, KOTOR, and the final fantasy series.  

My personal favorites are adventure games like the Prince of Persia and the Zelda series.

Michael

mcrespo71

XBOX 360 VS PS3
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2005, 05:21 pm »
The article referred to in the first post was the most biased I have read so far. But I expect that from IGN. Considering the PS3 is still some months away there is an awful lot of speculation and what ifs.

Totally agree.  Of course, it was taken from the IGN PS3 channel, so I guess it should be expected.  However, I ran across it while searching on IGN and it's the only comparison I've seen online.

Along with KotOR, I'd put the Resident Evil games up there with the best games ever made for any platform. RE, Diablo & Mechwarrior 2- there's a trifecta of original Playstation masterpieces.

Yeah and they really brought the series up a notch with Resident Evil 4, which was one of my absolute favorite games this past generation, along with Prince of Persia, KOTOR, Halo, and Metroid Prime.  

Michael