Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

dangerbird

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #780 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:04 pm »
Robin Trower--Atlanta-- I dunno what what his tech has done to those Marshalls,,but Oh mama,, the sound is exquisite---a very fine performance ,,indeed.  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #781 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:34 am »
+1 for Robin Trower in Atlanta. Awesome show! Monster tone, master string bender. But crimeny is Jim D sorely missed. First few songs I thought the singer would ruin the show for me, but did not take long and I was able to ignore him. :roll:

Danger - had I known what you looked like I would have said hello! It was packed, eh?! And warm up band, for once, was decent as well. Stoneriders? Forget their name already, but its not them, its me.

sts9fan

« Reply #782 on: 17 Feb 2011, 01:52 pm »
I went to see Morcheeba at The Paradise in Boston last night.  It was a short show but super good and super tight.  Sky is back and her voice is still great if a bit grainy.  They played all your favorites off of "Big Calm" and a mix of the rest.  If they come to your town check out these Trip-Hop pioneers.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #783 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:06 am »
The Decemberists at a sold out Arlene Schnitzer Hall, Portland OR

Terrific concert and lots of fun :thumb: :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #784 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:21 pm »
I saw The Decemberists in Boston and thought they were great.  They sang many songs off the new CD, though, which I did not listen to before I went.  The songs were great, however.  After listening to the CD, I like it the best of any of their CDs.  They are quite a talented band, and his voice is much more powerful in concert.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #785 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:41 pm »
I saw The Decemberists in Boston and thought they were great.  They sang many songs off the new CD, though, which I did not listen to before I went.  The songs were great, however.  After listening to the CD, I like it the best of any of their CDs.  They are quite a talented band, and his voice is much more powerful in concert.

Crap!!  I somehow missed the fact that they played a couple nights in Boston.   :duh:

It would have been very nice to hear them in person, as I have really grown to like them (especially their latest album).  Their latest effort sounds a lot like earlier REM in parts and that is a good thing in my book.

Bob, how did you like the Boston House of Blues?  I still haven't seen a show there yet.

George

ratso

« Reply #786 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:45 pm »
not the latest show (a few months ago) but not since the bad brains in their prime have i EVER seen a live band like gogol bordello. even if your not a huge fan of their music (and i like their new cd better than their old stuff) do yourself a favor and go see them. a - friggin - mazing.

Ruby Mae

« Reply #787 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:10 pm »
Great pics Laura :thumb:
I saw The Decemberists at The Beacon Theater ... it was a dynamite show!
But after the show...UGH! I drove back from Manhattan to Long Beach in a wicked blizzard  :o
it took four hair raising hours to get home and I had to get up for ework the next morning. That'll learn me for not taking the train  :duh:

Demarche

« Reply #788 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:01 pm »
+1 for last night's Decemberists show  :thumb:

Great version of "The Rake Song" and how much fun was "The Mariner's Revenge Song"...

sts9fan

« Reply #789 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:47 pm »
I was pissed that the Boston show was when I was skiing. I am heading down to Austin to see them instead. We will see them at Bonnaroo also.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #790 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:55 pm »

+1. I have all their albums and The King Is Dead is my favorite.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #791 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:57 pm »
It would have been very nice to hear them in person, as I have really grown to like them (especially their latest album).  Their latest effort sounds a lot like earlier REM in parts and that is a good thing in my book.
George

Jenny Conley said R.E.M. was one of Colin's favoirte bands growing up. Peter Buck plays on the new album. Colin has the "Peter Buck" sound down. :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #792 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:58 pm »
+1 for last night's Decemberists show  :thumb:

Great version of "The Rake Song" and how much fun was "The Mariner's Revenge Song"...

+1. I loved Colin's interaction with the audience.

sunnydaze

« Reply #793 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:59 pm »
Friday night was Little Dragon, sold out two nights at The Independent, SF. They premiered some new music from their upcoming album. Just great.

(big snip)

Absolutely incredible photos, low.pfile!    :thumb:
What is the camera?

Thanks,
John

ctviggen

« Reply #794 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:11 pm »
Crap!!  I somehow missed the fact that they played a couple nights in Boston.   :duh:

Bob, how did you like the Boston House of Blues?  I still haven't seen a show there yet.

George

George,

I've seen Big Head Todd and the Monsters and The Decemberists there.  I got standing room only, lower level tickets both times.  Assuming Shaq is not in front of you, you get great views of the band, and if you so choose you can get there early and get a really good spot.  Spots on the second level might not be bad, either, but I like being packed in like a sardine.  ;-)  The sound is as good as a club like this can get, and heck it's near-field listening anyway as you're so close.  So, I like it, although I'm old enough to wish I could sit down.  I came out of there with barely working legs!

If you go, I recommend you don't check your coat.  We waited a long time to pick up our coats.

I didn't think of it or I'd have invited you.  I went with a person from work.  If I go up again, I'll let you know. 

It's interesting that so many people like this particular CD instead of, say The Crane Wife, or The Hazards of Love.  I was never a big REM fan, but perhaps I should rethink that.  I even heard a song from The King is Dead on Outlaw Country on Sirius radio!  I'm not sure how many cross-over fans they'll get, though.

sts9fan

« Reply #795 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:50 pm »
Never get anything but first floor standing room only at the HOB Boston.

mjosef

« Reply #796 on: 20 Feb 2011, 09:14 pm »
Eighth Blackbird at The Tune In Festival.

I went THursday night, the Festival ran Wed. thru today, Sunday.
There were two other ensembles involved but enjoy the 'Birds the best.
NYT write up: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/arts/music/19blackbird.html?ref=music

Whoa, is that the Ruby of Mae?  :lol: Ltns

Ruby Mae

« Reply #797 on: 20 Feb 2011, 11:20 pm »

Whoa, is that the Ruby of Mae?  :lol: Ltns

it's me buddy  :lol: we gotta hang soon!!! :wine: :banana piano: :smoke:

low.pfile

« Reply #798 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:14 am »
Absolutely incredible photos, low.pfile!    :thumb:
What is the camera?

Thanks,
John

Thanks John. I am getting there--learning how to deal with very low lighting-and freezing movement-- I target a 1/125 sec. speed. Most venues I frequent are extremely dark. without my DSLR I wouldn't have captured the shots. I shot Little Dragon with a nikon D700 and 50mm f/1.4 lens. And some of the shots I posted are at ISO 5000!

low.pfile

« Reply #799 on: 21 Feb 2011, 12:21 am »
Oh. why I stopped by in the first place: I saw Beach House at The Fillmore on Friday night. Good show but the sound board needed some help.

(not a D700 shot)