If you were looking for vintage bookshelf speakers to restore.....

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
What would excite you? I personally like BBC monitors, but would entertain anything cool. 

Ideas?
Thanks!

WGH

BBC monitors would be interesting, I have never heard any.

Other than that, vintage speakers have always sounded ......dated. Kind of boring with ill defined bass and muted treble if you think of AR speakers or nice and shiny treble with JBL.
Dynaco A-25 (meh, with apologies to J. Gordon Holt). https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaco-25-loudspeaker
Pioneer with the classic wood diamond pattern grills - not as good as the JBL L100 despite it's flaws, I've owned both at the same time, still have the JBL's.
Advent large and small - they make the equivalent of non-offensive elevator music, friends in Colorado still use a pair of the large.

Wonder how the KLH 17 would sound today? I always liked them.

charmerci

I think that better than restoring old speakers ( unless of course you find a $10 pair in a thrift shop) would be to buy one of the many kits/flat packs out there now that should sound much better than most of the dated vintage ones out there.

dB Cooper

Other than that, vintage speakers have always sounded ......dated. Kind of boring with ill defined bass and muted treble if you think of AR speakers or nice and shiny treble with JBL.
Dynaco A-25 (meh, with apologies to J. Gordon Holt). https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaco-25-loudspeaker
Well, whatever else you might have to say about the A-25, its bass definition was a standout trait and would probably hold its own in that regard even today. Also, most of the acoustic suspensions of the era used foam surrounds that have long since dry-rotted out. The Dynacos don't have that problem. There are re-foaming kits, but the ones I have seen involve replacing the woofer dust cap with a different one, which would probably alter the voicing, for better or worse.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Cool thanks ya'll.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 Radio shack AMT. Allison and Advent.

charles

VinceT

Had Dynacos, liked them. I really like Epicure and Ads.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I recently picked up a pair of the first real speaker I ever owned, the Frazier Monte Carlos.  There were 8" two ways that were extremely efficient.  Brought them home, hooked them up, and was floored.... by how bad they sounded.  I also got to listen to a pair of classic AR 3a's recently, and was likewise unimpressed.  There just aren't many old speakers that can hold their own with more modern designs, IMO.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2020, 03:13 am by S Clark »

SoCalWJS

Advents
AR 3a’s

Are the first 2 that come to mind.

gene9p

I wish I could get my hands on my old AR3's..lol

however

I have a pair of Snell KIII's restored and just finished up a pair of Snell JIV's, small floor standing speakers..awesome !!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
A friend had a pair of JBL Lancer 77 speakers that actually sounded pretty good.  A pair of those would be worth a bit of time and money to fix up if you could get them at a thrift shop price. 

Wallacefl

BBC monitors would be interesting, I have never heard any.

Pioneer with the classic wood diamond pattern grills - not as good as the JBL L100 despite it's flaws, I've owned both at the same time, still have the JBL's.
Advent large and small - they make the equivalent of non-offensive elevator music, friends in Colorado still use a pair of the large.

Wonder how the KLH 17 would sound today? I always liked them. ....Always wondered how the Large Advents would respond to a Philips 5060ad midrange as was done in the Dahlquist DQ-10...Dynaco A-25 was fun to but I replaced the tweeter with a Morel 33 as the tweeter OEM was a dud...much better.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
What would excite you? I personally like BBC monitors, but would entertain anything cool. 

Ideas?
Thanks!

JBL L-100's!!!

srb

KEF C60 (1985-1988)
8" 2-way Sealed

The B200 cast frame woofers with butyl rubber surrounds are usually in great shape with no deterioration.

Replace ferrofluid in the often-dried-up T33 tweeters and replace some crossover components if desired, as like many crossovers of the era, parts quality could be better and there are some electrolytic capacitors.

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2020, 12:19 am by srb »

GrooveControl

I had luck with two models. 

First: the Realistic Nova 6.  I had a pair of DIY Vifa P17/D25 that I wasn't happy with. So I took the 4th order crossovers and D25 tweeters and put them in the Nova 6, leaving the Nova 6 woofers in there.  Wow, that worked out well.  These are now my garage speakers, and I'm very happy how they sound without any eq. 

Second: I acquired a pair of JBL L16, and replaced the crossover with one built to spec of the L19 which has the same drivers.  This system sounds better to me now.  The L16 let the woofer run full range and you can definitely hear the woofer breakup.  The following pick shows how the midrange changed.  The new xo requires the tweeter lpad be turned down a bit.

I've built several speakers over the years, including one the was sized identical to the LS3/5a, but I never really liked any of them much. I guess it's my cabinet building kills, or lack thereof. Restoring older commercial models is just as rewarding. 

Red trace is before the xo upgrade, green is after.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Sequerra MET-7.