VMPS Wide Range Ribbon Speakers - Any others out there?

thepianoman04

These were my dad's first and only pair of VMPS speakers.

Brian Cheney's prototype/first speaker the VMPS Wide Range Ribbon speakers with original Strathearn ribbons. Originally posted in the VMPS speakers for sale thinking it would get more viewership but was frowned upon since I wasn't selling them. So here I am, showing off what memento I have left of not only Brian Cheney's but also my dad's who passed 2 years ago.

These are all I ever knew growing up and took them for granted until I inherited them and realized how rare they are (apparently 1-9 or 1-11 ever made). I may be slightly biased but I've heard other speakers and none compare. Brian really out did himself with these speakers and am trying my best to keep my dad's memory alive by giving them the power they need as they are very inefficient. I'm not even coming close to using the power I have to the point of playing them at ear deafening levels. Just plenty of head room!

Recently added 4 Emotiva XPR-1s to make sure these speakers never want or need any power. EVER! 3,500 watts a channel into 2 speakers. 2 XPA-1s for 2,000 watts into the larger VMPS subs in the pictures as well and eventually will get my hands on a VMPS LCR and will bi-amp it with 2,000 watts as well. No big deal to have 11,000 watts of power just in my front stage. (5 speakers) :)

Would love to know if anyone out there has a pair just like these of the Wide Range Ribbons. Curious to know what the actual number is out there of these floating around. If any.

Keep an eye out for a link to my youtube channel. I may upload some videos of them playing some audiophile tracks I like. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJWZogcxcPt7tUvzi78BScQszPIxTWiHl

Probably won't do it justice through video but will give you an idea of the wall of sound these babies can put out.

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Wide Range Ribbon Speakers - Any others out there?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2018, 09:01 pm »
That's a heck of a system.  Plus, I'm truly happy to see that you appreciate the history of your speakers, and that you want to preserve and protect them.  Bravo.

Also, is there any chance of you providing any specifications?  I see what looks like a JVC ribbon tweeter, the 3 Strathearn ribbons, 2 different style mid-bass woofers, and 2 lower woofers.  Do you know the size of the various woofers?  Any reason for the 2 style of mid-woofers?  BTW, the woven mid-woofers look like the same drivers that Brian used in RM-1's.  Plus, MCM Electronics used to sell those.  They still sell a very similar cast frame carbon fiber woofer.

Oh yea, there's a guy in Tennessee that sells DIY speakers, using Strathearn ribbons, on eBay.  He says he imported the ribbons at one time.  Dr. Marks uses Strathearn Emits and ribbons, matched to Magnepan bass panels.  They're a bit ugly, but I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for the dedicated thread, even though you were fine posting in my sales thread.  Please feel free to update.  I look forward to more info!

thepianoman04

Re: VMPS Wide Range Ribbon Speakers - Any others out there?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2018, 07:56 pm »
That's a heck of a system.  Plus, I'm truly happy to see that you appreciate the history of your speakers, and that you want to preserve and protect them.  Bravo.

Also, is there any chance of you providing any specifications?  I see what looks like a JVC ribbon tweeter, the 3 Strathearn ribbons, 2 different style mid-bass woofers, and 2 lower woofers.  Do you know the size of the various woofers?  Any reason for the 2 style of mid-woofers?  BTW, the woven mid-woofers look like the same drivers that Brian used in RM-1's.  Plus, MCM Electronics used to sell those.  They still sell a very similar cast frame carbon fiber woofer.

Oh yea, there's a guy in Tennessee that sells DIY speakers, using Strathearn ribbons, on eBay.  He says he imported the ribbons at one time.  Dr. Marks uses Strathearn Emits and ribbons, matched to Magnepan bass panels.  They're a bit ugly, but I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for the dedicated thread, even though you were fine posting in my sales thread.  Please feel free to update.  I look forward to more info!

I’m actually still learning about my dad’s speakers but a friend of mine knows more about VMPS than I do and let me know the specs of my speakers specifically.

You are mostly correct.

It is a JVC super tweeter, 3 strathearn ribbons (in series), 2 8” misco poly/talc midbass woofers (original; mine has one poly and one woven carbon fiber replacement from MCM), 2 misco 12” poly/talc lowbass woofers (upgraded to the WCF megawoofers), and 1 15” misco paper-cone passive radiator.

My dad was the one to swap the lower 8” woofer to the MCM replacement because one needed repair or fixing and decided (as he should) to have them match and swapped out the other speaker as well.

Hope that answers your question and thanks for replying to my thread! So proud my dad was able to get a piece of history and legacy from Brian Chaney and VMPS. I will keep them running and cared for as long as I possibly can and will never sell them. Just appreciate them year in and year out like my dad did for probably almost 30 years (& counting!) :)